What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hunt's price tag

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I don't understand why because of Hunt's huge wage, he has to succeed at half. Should Cameron Smith be paid less because he is a hooker? He should easily be paid over a million. I cannot understand how people say that because Hunt is on 1 million he has to succeed in the halves. If he can play at hooker and play well, then keep the guy there.

I am not saying Hunt is better or equal to Cam Smith, but if he can have as much of an effect to the Saints as Cam Smith does playing hooker then it will be 1 million well spent. McInness looked good at lock as well. He can play the Cameron Murray role. Both similar builds. Cam is a tackling machine just like Paul Taylor was in the Parra golden years in the 80's. Tackles his heart out and made a huge contribution to their success.

I don't get what this expectation is in terms of position when it comes to paying a guy a million bucks. It should be based on how effective the guy can be for your squad and I feel Hunt can really improve our attack at hooker like he did yesterday. It is easily his best position right now.

Parkway_Drive

Juniors
Damien Cook would be one of the highest paid at Souffs and worth more money than Walker and Reynolds there so you have a fair point.

The game has become quicker due to the new rules and quite a few teams are now playing smaller ball playing locks who are tackling machines and some play like another spine player in attack. Eg Cam Murray and Vic Radley so perhaps Mc Innes could make the transition.

BTW I'm not a Dragons supporter but I think potentially Hunt is a better number 9 than a 7.

giboz71

First Grade
Because there is a dumb assumption that your marquis and most expensive player should be a halfback. It stems from the days of Andrew Johns and Thurston. Storm and Raiders and to a lesser extent Souths show that you can unleash your attack from hooker.

Hunt can succeed at half for sure, but for whatever reason, he can't combine with Norman. Norman hasn't been able to combine with anyone to be honest, but it is what it is. So that and the fact that McInnes isn't an attacking hooker, makes trying Hunt at hooker a viable option.

It worked pretty well yesterday.

possm

Coach
I don't understand why because of Hunt's huge wage, he has to succeed at half. Should Cameron Smith be paid less because he is a hooker? He should easily be paid over a million. I cannot understand how people say that because Hunt is on 1 million he has to succeed in the halves. If he can play at hooker and play well, then keep the guy there.

I am not saying Hunt is better or equal to Cam Smith, but if he can have as much of an effect to the Saints as Cam Smith does playing hooker then it will be 1 million well spent. McInness looked good at lock as well. He can play the Cameron Murray role. Both similar builds. Cam is a tackling machine just like Paul Taylor was in the Parra golden years in the 80's. Tackles his heart out and made a huge contribution to their success.

I don't get what this expectation is in terms of position when it comes to paying a guy a million bucks. It should be based on how effective the guy can be for your squad and I feel Hunt can really improve our attack at hooker like he did yesterday. It is easily his best position right now.
For me it is worry that Mary took so long to realise that hooker is Hunts best position even though the Qld and Aust selectors have chosen him in that position.

I would like the Norman / Clune combination to be given some time to settle in and Hunt to remain at hooker with McInnes to lock. My team for the Titans is:

Run-on Side
1. Dufty - keep up last nights form and improve positional defence
2. Sailor - this will be his chance to shine. Hope he scores a few
3. Lomax - has room fro imporovement, good goal kicking
4. Ravalawa - I think centre will suit him fine. Defence?
5. Saab - together with Lomax should be a handfull on the right edge
6. Norman - a much improved performance, still needs to step up
7. Clune - great kicking game and put a couple through gaps
8. Kerr - getting better each game now
9. Hunt - leave him at hooker, maybe he will hit top form
10. Vaughan - he had his best game this year
11. Fuimaono - I thought he went really well last night
12. Frizell - still not firing on all cylindars, maybe this game
13. McInnes - he brings more to the team from the lock position

Bench
14. Merrin - prop / backrow
15. Laurie - prop / backrow
16. Host - prop / backrow
17. Ford - backrow / centre

Dropped
There is still a lot of room for improvement. Dropped for this game should be:
Pereira - not quick enough and made some silly mistakes
Aitken - still a turnstyle and hog
Graham - has not got enough good minutes in him these days

possm

Coach
Hunt is not a 9. He is an elite 14 and an adequate 7.

He isn’t worth a miilion dollars per season, nor is that what he is being paid.

I still believe that we overpaid for him. But the numbers that are thrown around are bullshit.

But Millward said he paid nowhere near a million for him and he recently was reported to have taken a paycut.

For me, Millward may have recruited him as a halfback but I think he is much more suited to the hooking positon.

If De Belin was available, maybe in a hooker rotation with McInnes but as it is, I like him as the hooker and McInnes as the lock.

The guy is a victim of the worst coaching of any side to don the famous red V.

Hunt can play. He is an instinctive footballer.

He has played for QLD and Australia at hooker.

Playing at hooker off the bench was a no brainer.

Good to see the man smile again at full time.

Blood&Bandage

Juniors

Great post Slip, I agree.

If it works for the team, that’s what matters the most.