What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

best centre pairing you have ever seen play footy

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
TBF you could almost name any Australian pair for 50 years.

And agree Mal @ Canberra, QLD and AUS had some quality parnters.

Inglis and Hodges I think would have a good win % for QLD and AUS.

Inglis is a fullback who can play centre.

I went with club pairings.

justdave

Juniors
Best centre combo was me and Craig Smith, the guy who got smashed by Ainscough in Melbournes unfortunate victory. It was 3rd grade rugby but we were the real shit.. other than that easily Michael O’Connor and Craig Innes

magpie_man

Juniors
Jamie Lyon - Steve Matai was an underrated pairing.
Lyon was blue chip; just an incredibly skillfull and intelligent footballer, an absolute joy to watch.
Matai was a sledgehammer in defense and deceptively fast and elusive with the ball in hand.
In the old days you would have played Lyon as Inside Centre and Matai as Outside Centre.

magpie_man

Juniors
The Ryan Girdler - Matt Gidley combo for NSW in the early 2000s brought me a lot of joy too.
Gidley with his flick passes and Girdler the intercept king.

Johns Magic

Referee
Jamie Lyon - Steve Matai was an underrated pairing.
Lyon was blue chip; just an incredibly skillfull and intelligent footballer, an absolute joy to watch.
Matai was a sledgehammer in defense and deceptively fast and elusive with the ball in hand.
In the old days you would have played Lyon as Inside Centre and Matai as Outside Centre.

Yep Lyon and Matai as a club pairing you couldn’t ask for much more

blue bags

First Grade
dragons great team of the 70s, early 80s, centres Finch and Quinn
ball skills galore, and pace and speed to burn

Tommy Smith

Referee
+ 1 for Lyon & Matai at club level.

Greg Inglis is the most devastating centre I've seen, but Lyon is the most complete & skillful.

An all time great imo who doesn't get the credit he deserves. And Matai was just a winner. A great defender and the sort of bloke you dream about playing alongside.

mongoose

Coach
Andrew Ettingshausen and Mark McGaw

Steve Renouf and Chris Johns

Laurie Daley and Ruben Wiki

Just adding

I don't think Daley and Wiki ever played centre together. Daley was a permanent 5/8 by the time Wiki started in first grade. It was Meninga/Wiki in 93/94. Meninga and Daley were centres in 88/89, now that's a pairing. Daley moved to 5/8 in 90 but played the grand final at centre.

Fangs

Coach
I should probably say Lyon Matai as well.

Lyon was a brilliant player. Basically had everything. Matai was always excellent and had great defence. Always went down injured which ended up being his trademark along with absolutely smashing his opposite number in defence.