What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players laughing and joking after a loss

myrrh ken

First Grade
Maybe they're laughing cos they know that even if they dial in performances like that, there will still be no Perth team any time soon

T-Boon

Coach
I loathe it. They don't understand the game has made them rich not because there is something particularly valuable about running around a field with a ball. It matters because of the passion that fans have. It matters because of the emotional investment people have. People spend their hard earned money and precious time to grow attached to particular teams, colours, mascots.

Being a footy fan is not a particularly rational hobby. Players need to remember what they do isn't like just any 9 to 5. It's not like a bloke at a law firm in the CBD being mates with someone at a rival firm. Footy players should at least pretend to care while they're in the game environment. Pretend to care while you know the cameras are on you. Then go home, get changed, and feel free to have a good time even after a loss. But at least try to take it as seriously as the fans who are the reason you make a great living playing a game.

This is 100%.
How hard would it be for the players to just put on an act of some sort while they are on the field and in the dressing sheds (and anytime the cameras are guaranteed to be around). Pretend they are putting on a show to an audience that they would to like to convince of something. Pretend like it is a big deal and maybe we could get more fans to tune in. The word is Kayfabe.
Also any player who says in an interview "I don't really watch the game in my spare time" (pretty sure I've heard Kalyn Ponga and Dylan Brown in the last 12 months) needs to do media training. Great salesmanship lads.

Sphagnum

Coach
This is 100%.
How hard would it be for the players to just put on an act of some sort while they are on the field and in the dressing sheds (and anytime the cameras are guaranteed to be around). Pretend they are putting on a show to an audience that they would to like to convince of something. Pretend like it is a big deal and maybe we could get more fans to tune in. The word is Kayfabe.
Also any player who says in an interview "I don't really watch the game in my spare time" (pretty sure I've heard Kalyn Ponga and Dylan Brown in the last 12 months) needs to do media training. Great salesmanship lads.
Future immortals like Dylan Brown can say whatever they want

>zuzu<

Juniors
For those who do not care, or think it is okay for players to smile and share a laugh on the field after a game - let me ask you this - is it at no point you could not care, or is there a limit to it?

Would you draw the line at all in context with the game? Sure the Broncos were humbled by the Gold Coast, but they only lost by by 18 points.

What if your team lost by 60-70 points and did that? Would you still have no issue with it?

I am just curious, because I recall a game some years back (I believe Cleary's first game against the Warriors after leaving them) - and Panthers pumped them 62-6. And afterwards - very much like that Broncos game - there were a fair few smiles from the Warriors players, and this conversation was up for debate.

Surely it must pain any supporter to see your team flogged, only to see them having a laugh afterward.

For me - if you're a paid professional, the spotlight is firmly on you. And, if fans see you having a laugh after being humbled by an opposition, then surely they can understand their frustration.

Isaac Luke is laughing because he can’t believe another Club has actually signed him.

This signing really demonstrated how much the Broncos have gone to shyte!

GongPanther

Referee
Players used to walk off the ground in the 1970's with a shitty look because most of them were on contracts like $200 for the win and nothing for the loss although there were signing on fees.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Players used to walk off the ground in the 1970's with a shitty look because most of them were on contracts like $200 for the win and nothing for the loss although there were signing on fees.

That'd be fun having win pay now. Imagine if you're a million $ player and you lost $38.5k everytime you lost! Now that's some motivation.

AJB1102

First Grade
I loathe it. They don't understand the game has made them rich not because there is something particularly valuable about running around a field with a ball. It matters because of the passion that fans have. It matters because of the emotional investment people have. People spend their hard earned money and precious time to grow attached to particular teams, colours, mascots.

Being a footy fan is not a particularly rational hobby. Players need to remember what they do isn't like just any 9 to 5. It's not like a bloke at a law firm in the CBD being mates with someone at a rival firm. Footy players should at least pretend to care while they're in the game environment. Pretend to care while you know the cameras are on you. Then go home, get changed, and feel free to have a good time even after a loss. But at least try to take it as seriously as the fans who are the reason you make a great living playing a game.

Try and be irrationally upset like a bunch of dickhead fans over the result of a game, or at least pretend? haha what garbage. If you can't conduct a friendly conversation after your team lost you're a childish twat and others shouldn't pretend to be like you.

AJB1102

First Grade
This is 100%.

Ugh! You need tickets to WWE not the footy.

myrrh ken

First Grade
Imagine being emotionally pissed off after every game you lost. You'd be an absolute basketcase especially if you played for the dogs or tits.

BunniesMan

Immortal
This is 100%.
I am picturing a Woolworths spokesperson while being interviewed on camera saying something like "yeah I prefer shopping at coles in my own time." Blokes on million dollar contracts should be more professional and that includes as salesmen

Latest posts