What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We already know who the grand finalists will be.

Western_Eel

Juniors
that Newcastle side was better all season . Everyone forgets that they were either same points or newscatle 2 points ahead all season and then Newcastle lost 3 regular season games because Joey got injured and they lost. They would have been minor premiers otherwise
They still lost 9 games to eels 4 that year, Parramatta had a points difference of +433

pantherz9103

First Grade
that Newcastle side was better all season . Everyone forgets that they were either same points or newscatle 2 points ahead all season and then Newcastle lost 3 regular season games because Joey got injured and they lost. They would have been minor premiers otherwise

The Eels were on fire that year. They lost just 1 of their previous 22 games leading into the Grand Final and broke all sorts of point scoring records.

It's true that the Knights were a champion team with Joey and had a couple of mini slumps when he was out injured. However I have a long memory and as I recall the Eels, rightly or wrongly were pretty warm favourites. They certainly weren't expected to be 24-0 down at half time, regardless of how good Newcastle were. They didn't handle the hype on GF night.

https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/seasons/nrl-2001/parramatta/summary.html

https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/seasons/nrl-2001/newcastle/summary.html

10$ Ferret

Staff member
10 years since a Bennett coached side last won the comp. I honestly don’t get the super coach obsession. Times have changed and the game has moved on. Time he did too.

It would only be an absolute dumbass that gives him his next NRL job. given what he has done to the last 3 he has trashed

King hit

Coach
He got the Nathan Tinkler Knights to the prelim final in 2013, which they hadn’t reached in numerous seasons before, and never since.

He also got Brisbane to their last GF (having not made one since he steered them to their last one). And they were a whisker away from winning.

Going back further he indeed got my dragons over the line in 2010. Without him I truly believe id still be looking at replays of 1979 as our last GF win.

He’s had some lean times in between but I still rate him highly.
The 2013 preliminary final was a fluke. They came 7th and beat 2 teams that had fallen down at the back end of the year, one which was just waiting for the year to end. They played someone who were completely on another level in the preliminary final and got flogged. Nobody considered that Knights team to be premiership contenders.

Apey

Staff member
The 2013 preliminary final was a fluke. They came 7th and beat 2 teams that had fallen down at the back end of the year, one which was just waiting for the year to end. They played someone who were completely on another level in the preliminary final and got flogged. Nobody considered that Knights team to be premiership contenders.

Lol hardly a fluke. It was what, 8 - 0 or something before the guy who held our team together unfortunately had his career ended and the team fell apart.

Mr Spock!

Referee
If anyone's gonna beat the Roosters they need to come up with something that isn't 5 sets with 2nd man plays then kick.

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
If anyone's gonna beat the Roosters they need to come up with something that isn't 5 sets with 2nd man plays then kick.

Peter Vlandys has until grand final day to keep changing the rules to affect the Roosters. The problem is, his attempts to affect the Roosters last time made them better.

SDM

First Grade
Parramatta are eliminated by the curse of being Parramatta.
That is true, but I miscalculated, Parra Roosters and Sharks can all make the GF, they just can’t win it. So one of these 3 teams could make the GF, just not any combination of 2 of them.

GongPanther

Referee
10 years since a Bennett coached side last won the comp. I honestly don’t get the super coach obsession. Times have changed and the game has moved on. Time he did too.
Super coach is bullshit. Get a coach with no or hardly any top quality players in the squad, and if he can turn them into a championship side, that to me defines a true super coach.

Super coach is bullshit. Get a coach with no or hardly any top quality players in the squad, and if he can turn them into a championship side, that to me defines a true super coach.

Bennett only had a Qld Origin team to work with in those Broncos premiership years. Plus he had to overcome thinning hair so loads of adversity there. He’s a deadset super coach.

Munky

Coach
Bennett only had a Qld Origin team to work with in those Broncos premiership years. Plus he had to overcome thinning hair so loads of adversity there. He’s a deadset super coach.

I'll find him credit for turning around around Jamie Soward though.

Didn't his team mates want Ben Rogers at half back in the 2008 finals?

Latest posts