What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fangs

Coach
I think its a good decision.

We need guys match fit. There is no reserve grade. And its very difficult to break into a winning team. And we of course reserve the right to take him back when we wish.

Its really going to hurt at the end of the year when players get injured. Replacements will be brought in and they will be completely underdone. The teams that manage their roster the best will go a long way in this competition.

Whino

Bench
If it blows off the rust, and when we need him if he is fit to go. I am ok with it.
Hame Sele hadn't played since the break. He had his 1st game on Thursday. He went ok but boy was he gassed when he came off.
We need rotations or loan out our players to keep them fit.

Last edited:

Panfa

Juniors
Good idea with jack we still got spencer leniu tyrone may and kurt capewell to come back later this yr.He needs game time and if he is not in our starting 17 he will be in the warriors 17.

Kilkenny

Coach
We have been discussing the James Tamou contract situation elsewhere so to get it back on track I make the following observation.

I don’t know whether he is currently earning the 700K a season he is reputed to be on but regardless he is not going to get the same amount of money he is currently earning at his age. He knows that, his agent knows that so it is all about value for money for the club and at the same time a decent deal for James.

Far be it from to me to know his market value but a two year deal on say 500K would probably be beneficial to both parties?

Looking at our current top 30 squad there are half a dozen players of so who are unlikely to be resigned and a couple off contract in 2021 including Josh Mansour who will not be resigned.

Our salary cap appears to have plenty of flexibility so it is not beyond reckoning that James Tamou could get a deal to 2022.

InSucToSivE

Juniors
https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/06/29...youthful-side-makes-tamou-eager-for-new-deal/

This one?

tamouj-200620_gt_0934.jpg

PANTHERS

Results top priority but youthful side makes Tamou eager for new deal
Author
Alicia Newton NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Mon 29 Jun 2020, 05:09 PM
The youth and exuberance sparking Penrith to second on the NRL ladder has re-ignited the desire for skipper James Tamou to play into a 13th campaign next season.

Tamou is yet to open talks with Panthers officials to remain at the club beyond this season after his four-year contract expires in November.

But the side's strong position in the Telstra Premiersip and the 31-year-old's form under Ivan Cleary has Tamou feeling like a move to the Super League or a rival club may be premature.

"Absolutely, when you say these boys give me the energy to kick on… 100 per cent," Tamou said when quizzed about his playing future on Monday.

"Winning helps. There were a few years there where I'd come into training and do my own thing but these young kids are living the dream and put it back into the reasons as to why you're doing it.

"You see stuff like that and things they're doing on the field and it pushes you.

"But I'm really not sure, I haven't spoken to my manager or anyone in the last couple of weeks. My manager knows not to contact me.

"I'm happy to leave it that way and play and let my footy do the talking. Hopefully, it will be sorted but at the moment we've got a job to do."

The circumstances surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic have thrown player retention into havoc in recent months with NRL clubs waiting to gain a clearer understanding of what the 2021 salary cap will look like.

If anything, Tamou believes that could play into his hands with a lesser focus on players' futures and more on the side's results – the Panthers prop happy to allow for things to drag out until the end of the year if need be.

"We're going alright and everyone's going alright so there are more important things at the moment," he said.

"I'm putting the team first and am happy to do that. The times have just shaken everything up, if that (uncertainty) is the case then I'm not too worried."

The Panthers have been the surprise packets since the competition's resumption in May with scalps over the Storm and Rabbitohs placing them in a strong position to finish in the top eight and contend for the minor premiership.

Penrith have only finished first at the end of the regular season twice - coincidentally, the two years they've lifted the trophy: 1991 and 2003.

Cleary's outfit faces the Sharks, Cowboys, and Titans over the next month after a grudge match with the Wests Tigers on Saturday night at Bankwest

"As someone who has played finals and a grand final, I know we've still got a long way to go," the former Cowboys premiership-winner said.

"We don't want to get too far ahead of ourselves. I think the Parramatta and Melbourne games we took a lot of lessons out of those.

"We've got a young team and teams like the Storm are only going to better under Bellamy and Cameron Smith there.

Last edited:

WestyLife

First Grade
I'm unsure how to do that on a laptop.

The youth and exuberance sparking Penrith to second on the NRL ladder has re-ignited the desire for skipper James Tamou to play into a 13th campaign next season.

Tamou is yet to open talks with Panthers officials to remain at the club beyond this season after his four-year contract expires in November.
But the side's strong position in the Telstra Premiersip and the 31-year-old's form under Ivan Cleary has Tamou feeling like a move to the Super League or a rival club may be premature.

"Absolutely, when you say these boys give me the energy to kick on… 100 per cent," Tamou said when quizzed about his playing future on Monday.

"Winning helps. There were a few years there where I'd come into training and do my own thing but these young kids are living the dream and put it back into the reasons as to why you're doing it.

"You see stuff like that and things they're doing on the field and it pushes you.

"But I'm really not sure, I haven't spoken to my manager or anyone in the last couple of weeks. My manager knows not to contact me.
"I'm happy to leave it that way and play and let my footy do the talking. Hopefully, it will be sorted but at the moment we've got a job to do."

The circumstances surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic have thrown player retention into havoc in recent months with NRL clubs waiting to gain a clearer understanding of what the 2021 salary cap will look like.

If anything, Tamou believes that could play into his hands with a lesser focus on players' futures and more on the side's results – the Panthers prop happy to allow for things to drag out until the end of the year if need be.

"We're going alright and everyone's going alright so there are more important things at the moment," he said.

"I'm putting the team first and am happy to do that. The times have just shaken everything up, if that (uncertainty) is the case then I'm not too worried."
The Panthers have been the surprise packets since the competition's resumption in May with scalps over the Storm and Rabbitohs placing them in a strong position to finish in the top eight and contend for the minor premiership.

Penrith have only finished first at the end of the regular season twice - coincidentally, the two years they've lifted the trophy: 1991 and 2003.

Cleary's outfit faces the Sharks, Cowboys, and Titans over the next month after a grudge match with the Wests Tigers on Saturday night at Bankwest Stadium.
"As someone who has played finals and a grand final, I know we've still got a long way to go," the former Cowboys premiership-winner said.

"We don't want to get too far ahead of ourselves. I think the Parramatta and Melbourne games we took a lot of lessons out of those.

"We've got a young team and teams like the Storm are only going to better under Bellamy and Cameron Smith there.

"Most teams are going to improve closer to the finals and that's what we have to do as well."

Jane Murray

Bench

Cleary's outfit faces the Sharks, Cowboys, and Titans over the next month after a grudge match with the Wests Tigers on Saturday night at Bankwest Stadium.

"Most teams are going to improve closer to the finals and that's what we have to do as well."
Thanks, InSucToSivE and WestyLife. That was the article.

Kilkenny

Coach
It’s all fine and dandy to say things are all fine, I haven’t started contract negotiations nor has my manager but in reality the real world is something much more different.

I am 100% confident there are plenty of negotiations happening around James’s contract situation and so there should be. He is in the last year of his current deal and he want’s to play on, for obvious reasons. There is a lot happening and rightly so.

WestyLife

First Grade
It’s all fine and dandy to say things are all fine, I haven’t started contract negotiations nor has my manager but in reality the real world is something much more different.

I am 100% confident there are plenty of negotiations happening around James’s contract situation and so there should be. He is in the last year of his current deal and he want’s to play on, for obvious reasons. There is a lot happening and rightly so.

Yes he's just saying he leaves it up to his management to sort it out behind the scenes while he focuses on football.

Kilkenny

Coach
Yes he's just saying he leaves it up to his management to sort it out behind the scenes while he focuses on football.

Perhaps!!!

Most of us in the real world earning can only dream about the earnings of the elite NRL players given the average wage is 75K or so. Get to Tamou’s age, in the back end of his career and he has to take a pay cut from 700K to 500K it still makes paying the mortgage and bills so much easier.

He’ll be fine regardless of where he ends up from 2021 and beyond.

Kilkenny

Coach
Fox Sports reporting Alex Johnson from the Bunnies is surplus to their requirements and not likely to be resigned.

He is a quality player, has speed, try scorer, can play in a number of positions could be worthy of consideration given Mansour is of contract in 2021.

Given we haven’t seen any junior competitions this season because of Covid 19 I’m not sure of our stocks in the junior ranks but he could be someone to have a serious look at.

Kilkenny

Coach
Is Jack Hetherington’s loan to the Warriors until the end of the season?

I thought that is what is said at the bottom of the TV screen while I was watching NRL 360 last night?

Whino

Bench
Is Jack Hetherington’s loan to the Warriors until the end of the season?

I thought that is what is said at the bottom of the TV screen while I was watching NRL 360 last night?

I think it depends on how he goes there and how we are going.

It is understood the 24-year-old can be called back at any time during his month-long loan, which could also could be extended for the rest of the season.[
https://www.portnews.com.au/story/6811217/panthers-tamou-calms-anxious-hetherington/
/QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.