What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

17th TEAM

Perth Red

Post Whore
9 aren't going to show Storm on main channel in Melbourne just like 7 don't show swans. 96k sounds good but repeat of sister act 2 gets higher rating

I doubt they are getting advertisers falling over themselves to show adds during repeats of escape to the chateau and the 6 year old movie the best of me (last Fridays alternate offerings). I would have thought bundling ads to more major markets and consolidating your Friday night total audience would have been more valuable? Were talking about spending $14mill to add another Brisbane team for hardly any net gain, and at the same time we have potential to be adding 100k viewers from Melbourne to the weekly tally? If this had happened last Friday Nine would have gone from 17th spot to 12th spot on the Metro audience table.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Broncos form shit this year - makes case stronger for extra team. Should be apparent even to somebody with agenda like you that games involving Brisbane & Sydney engage two biggest rugby league markets & result in biggest rating.

Problem is we are adding a 17th club only so no extra time slot. That means if they show the new club on FTA instead of a Sydney club we may well see a net reduction in audiences as the Thursday night figures I have posted above show. When a Brisbane team is playing less people in Sydney tune in.
Lets say they show Broncos most Thursday nights and the new club most Friday nights. If the figures for this year hold true we would see a FTA audience reduction of around 240k over the course of the season!
Recognising these early figures might not hold true, time will tell.

jim_57

Staff member
Broncos form shit this year - makes case stronger for extra team. Should be apparent even to somebody with agenda like you that games involving Brisbane & Sydney engage two biggest rugby league markets & result in biggest rating.

If ratings in Brisbane drop so much when the Broncos aren't playing why are we assuming a new team will match the draw of the Broncos and bump those numbers back up?

Could it be that viewers don't tune in because their club isn't playing and that club just happens to be the best supported RL club in Australia? So how is another club that isn't their club going to magically draw them all back in?

How do Titans rate on FTA in Brisbane?

Perth Red

Post Whore
If ratings in Brisbane drop so much when the Broncos aren't playing why are we assuming a new team will match the draw of the Broncos and bump those numbers back up?

Could it be that viewers don't tune in because their club isn't playing and that club just happens to be the best supported RL club in Australia? So how is another club that isn't their club going to magically draw them all back in?

One of those unanswerable risks. If Brisbane fans hate Broncos so much would they really be tuning in to watch them? The figures suggest it is much more likely they are Broncos fans who are only interested in watching the Broncos. Titans dont get much FTA coverage so hard to say.

I doubt they are getting advertisers falling over themselves to show adds during repeats of escape to the chateau and the 6 year old movie the best of me (last Fridays alternate offerings). I would have thought bundling ads to more major markets and consolidating your Friday night total audience would have been more valuable? Were talking about spending $14mill to add another Brisbane team for hardly any net gain, and at the same time we have potential to be adding 100k viewers from Melbourne to the weekly tally? If this had happened last Friday Nine would have gone from 17th spot to 12th spot on the Metro audience table.
Putting the Storm on the main channel every Friday will not lead to them averaging 100k in Melbourne.

Problem is we are adding a 17th club only so no extra time slot. That means if they show the new club on FTA instead of a Sydney club we may well see a net reduction in audiences as the Thursday night figures I have posted above show. When a Brisbane team is playing less people in Sydney tune in.
Lets say they show Broncos most Thursday nights and the new club most Friday nights. If the figures for this year hold true we would see a FTA audience reduction of around 240k over the course of the season!
Recognising these early figures might not hold true, time will tell.
There's no reason the broadcasters couldn't negotiate a deal to have two games on Thur and another 2 at 7.30pm Fri. One would be for the Queensland market, the other for the NSW market. It wouldn't really hurt Foxtel as it would be the only place to see both games, and if you have Foxtel you will choose their coverage over Ch9.

Did yot not read the bit about Queensland teams other than Brissie drawing about 157k viewers, compared to games without Queensland teams only drawing 110k?

Last edited:

greenBV4

Bench
There's no reason the broadcasters couldn't negotiate a deal to have two games on Thur and another 2 at 7.30pm Fri. One would be for the Queensland market, the other for the NSW market. It wouldn't really hurt Foxtel as it would be the only place to see both games, and if you have Foxtel you will choose their coverage over Ch9.
Did you seriously just suggest a 6PM Thursday game?? Or a simulcast Thursday? (Which I'm sure foxtel would not want)

Pippen94

First Grade
Neither 9 or 7 put NRL or afl on main channel in states were it's not main code. That should tell you what is more lucrative

jim_57

Staff member
Did yot not read the bit about a Queensland team other than Brissie drawing about 157k viewers, compared to games without Queensland teams only drawing 110k?
Not really I skipped through a lot of it, sue me.

The 47k difference was probably made up in Sydney assuming it was 2 Sydney clubs playing.

All I'm saying is the Broncos are the best supported team in Australia, of course their ratings are going to higher in Brisbane when they play. Expecting another team that isn't the Broncos to come in and match them just because they're from Brisbane is wishful thinking, they'll do OK sure, but I'd put money down they won't match the Broncos once the novelty has worn off in the first few years.

Pippen94

First Grade
One of those unanswerable risks. If Brisbane fans hate Broncos so much would they really be tuning in to watch them? The figures suggest it is much more likely they are Broncos fans who are only interested in watching the Broncos. Titans dont get much FTA coverage so hard to say.
Based on other qld teams ratings it will be higher. In any case it'll be greater than Melbourne & Perth

greenBV4

Bench
Neither 9 or 7 put NRL or afl on main channel in states were it's not main code. That should tell you what is more lucrative
Maybe the NRL should have tried to negotiate it into the new cheaper TV deal with Nine? "FTA games (as well as pre and post show commentary) shown live on the main channel nation wide", Im sure it wouldn't too hard to sell but vlandys doesn't care if its not NSW or QLD

I'm pretty sure Melbourne are one of the better supported pay TV teams as well, so its not a wildly out there statement to say ratings could improve on FTA with better consistency.

2nd channel screams of second rate and isn't as enticing to potential new viewers

greenBV4

Bench
One thing a second Brisbane team has going for it right now is if they are brought in while the broncos are a basket case and are sucessfull off the bat, they would likely get a few bandwagon converts from the broncos

I don't think anyone is saying a second Brisbane team shouldn't be next, but a 3rd team so soon after the 2nd and before markets like Perth would be outright dumb

Not really I skipped through a lot of it, sue me.

The 47k difference was probably made up in Sydney assuming it was 2 Sydney clubs playing.

All I'm saying is the Broncos are the best supported team in Australia, of course their ratings are going to higher in Brisbane when they play. Expecting another team that isn't the Broncos to come in and match them just because they're from Brisbane is wishful thinking, they'll do OK sure, but I'd put money down they won't match the Broncos once the novelty has worn off in the first few years.
Brissie Broncs = 173,000 ave in Brissie.

NQ or GC, not Brissie = 157,000 ave in Brissie.

Non-Queensland team = 107,000 ave in Brissie.

So if Brissie 2, 3 and 4 are no better than NQ and GC they will still draw 50,000 more in Brissie than any team from the other states. Advertisers sure prefer to have 157,000 sets of eyeballs watching than 107,000.

In Sydney, the highest rating match was Round 12s Parramatta v South Sydney game which rated 259,000. 13.9 million people watched the NRL on Nine in Sydney in 2019 at an average of 197,000 per game. Matches involving Sydney teams rated an average of 198,000, while matches involving both sides from outside Sydney rated an average of 186,000.
http://www.footyindustry.com/?p=4923
Everything you said is wrong.

If you were to broadcast 2 Brissie teams into Sydney you would get a net gain of 38,000, at the very least, than if 2 non-Queensland teams were shown into Brissie.

Last edited:

Pippen94

First Grade
Brissie Broncs = 173,000 ave in Brissie.

NQ or GC, not Brissie = 157,000 ave in Brissie.

Non-Queensland team = 107,000 ave in Brissie.

So if Brissie 2, 3 and 4 are no better than NQ and GC they will still draw 50,000 more in Brissie than any team from the otrer states. Advertisers sure prefer to have 157,000 sets of eyeballs watching than 107,000.
Pretty sure others here can see this but are pushing for other things so pretending they don't

Pippen94

First Grade
Maybe the NRL should have tried to negotiate it into the new cheaper TV deal with Nine? "FTA games (as well as pre and post show commentary) shown live on the main channel nation wide", Im sure it wouldn't too hard to sell but vlandys doesn't care if its not NSW or QLD

I'm pretty sure Melbourne are one of the better supported pay TV teams as well, so its not a wildly out there statement to say ratings could improve on FTA with better consistency.

2nd channel screams of second rate and isn't as enticing to potential new viewers
Won't happen - channels want to win ratings war.

One thing a second Brisbane team has going for it right now is if they are brought in while the broncos are a basket case and are sucessfull off the bat, they would likely get a few bandwagon converts from the broncos

I don't think anyone is saying a second Brisbane team shouldn't be next, but a 3rd team so soon after the 2nd and before markets like Perth would be outright dumb
Perth would probably be better served with a relocated team. AwFuL relocated the Swans into Sydney from South Melbourne. Bears were created in Brissie but failed, so were merged with Fitzroy. Reds and Rams failed.

Putting a team in Perth before Brissie 3 or 4 would be the definition of insanity and poor management. There's no way a Perth team is going to draw the kind of viewership that Brissie 3 and 4 will generate. Townsville is further away from Brissie than Sydney is, yet its team draws 157k in Brissie, compared to Sydney teams who only manage 107k. Brissie 3 and 4 will easily get 160k in Brissie.

Perth will not even be broadcast on the main channel, which makes them useless and a waste of an NRL licence. Swans and Lions aren't broadcast on main channel and Ch7 is owned by a one-eyed fumbleball fan.

Broadcasters pay the bulk of the NRL's income and they want instant returns in the form of eyeballs watching on TV. Promoting the game in Perth will be a long slog and not provide verd good returns over the next 10 or 20 years, and the broadcasters aren't interested in being the charity that funds it.

Last edited:
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the Perth experiment back in the 00s occur when Ch9 would broadcast 2 games, 1 live on Friday into QLD and on delay in NSW, and vice versa so the 2 markets would have a local team to watch?

The Perth game would begin at 9.30pm AEST, allowing it and the other game to be broadcast live across NSW and Queensland. It was during this period that expansion to Perth was most likely, and only for the timeslot so Nine could cater to both Queensland and NSW each fortnight without delaying any telecasts. Things obviously didn't go to plan.

greenBV4

Bench
Simulcast. They did it back in 2005.
And then they stopped, foxtels biggest marketing point it "every game live"

Perth would probably be better served with a relocated team.
Vlandys has made it pretty clear relocation wont happen, and who would you relocate? (That question always goes well)

Reds and Rams failed.
They were no more a failure than many of the current clubs are, they were a casualty of the SL war and sydney-centric management

Putting a team in Perth before Brissie 3 or 4 would be the definition of insanity and poor management. There's no way a Perth team is going to draw the kind of viewership that Brissie 3 and 4 will generate.
How many NEW fans would a Perth team generate vs how many NEW fans would a 3rd and 4th Brisbane team get?

Latest posts