What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Salary Cap/Third Party Agreements - NRL Football Operations Website (Integrity)

Dragon David

First Grade
https://www.nrl.com/operations/

I have searched this Forum to see if there was a separate thread which Forum members can post their comments on in relation to salary cap/third party agreements and other NRL issues.

I couldn't find anything specifically that had this heading, although there are many posts in other threads mentioning the salary cap, third party agreements, rorting etc. If I am wrong, then I apologise.

I've included the website for the NRL Operations in the heading so that people could just go to it without having to read all of the posts in the thread to find it for quick reference. It is a good read for people like myself on the following:-

1) NRL payments for the top 30
2) What players can earn outside the salary cap
3) Frequently asked questions
4) Third party agreements

So I can see that a club like Easts has worked out how to "manage" or "manipulate" the cap and third party agreements to benefit themselves.

Interesting to read some of the reasons why a player may sign with a club.

Anyway, if interested, please read.

merahputih

Juniors
https://www.nrl.com/operations/

I have searched this Forum to see if there was a separate thread which Forum members can post their comments on in relation to salary cap/third party agreements and other NRL issues.

I couldn't find anything specifically that had this heading, although there are many posts in other threads mentioning the salary cap, third party agreements, rorting etc. If I am wrong, then I apologise.

I've included the website for the NRL Operations in the heading so that people could just go to it without having to read all of the posts in the thread to find it for quick reference. It is a good read for people like myself on the following:-

1) NRL payments for the top 30
2) What players can earn outside the salary cap
3) Frequently asked questions
4) Third party agreements

So I can see that a club like Easts has worked out how to "manage" or "manipulate" the cap and third party agreements to benefit themselves.

Interesting to read some of the reasons why a player may sign with a club.

Anyway, if interested, please read.
Interesting, D.D. It seems the amount players can earn outside the salary cap is "unlimited", provided it is arranged at arms length from the club and paid directly from a corporate entity to a player. Stating that the salary cap was bought in to "even up the competition" seems at odds with this provision.
As far as the Roosters, there are other factors that influence players deciding to sign with a club other than just money, although it would be a major factor. Coach, player roster, support structure, location, chances of winning a premiership, etc all come into it. The Roosters have this in spades, plus a ruthless winning culture and an astute CEO with a network of business contacts.
I don't think they need to game the system to sign top players: the system allows them to do it.

Meanwhile, at the Dragons we have the WIN Corporation......

SaintPauli

Juniors
The rorters manage the system as though they invented the system!

On another fall of the chair moment today. Daryn Lockyer was interviewed today on Broncos current bad run of losses.
His reasoning was that the salary cap had its limitations and the club may not be managing the cap too well.

It takes me back to 1992/93 when dragons lost 2 grand finals to Broncos. Ironically they were years when there was NO Salary cap.

Dragons those years were about 2.4 million and Broncos 6.8 million chock full of internationals.

TruSaint

Referee
The rorters manage the system as though they invented the system!

On another fall of the chair moment today. Daryn Lockyer was interviewed today on Broncos current bad run of losses.
His reasoning was that the salary cap had its limitations and the club may not be managing the cap too well.

It takes me back to 1992/93 when dragons lost 2 grand finals to Broncos. Ironically they were years when there was NO Salary cap.

Dragons those years were about 2.4 million and Broncos 6.8 million chock full of internationals.

The NSWRL had a salary cap from 1990 onwards, until the NRL took over in 1998.

I believe back 30 years ago it was around 1.5 M.

SALARY CAP BREACHES AND PENALTIES

April 1991: Canberra revealed to be in breach of salary cap when it won the 1990 Winfield Cup.

July 1991: Revealed the Raiders substantially breached their $1.5 million salary cap for 1991.

June 1993: Gold Coast fined $50,000 for exceeding 1992 salary cap by $150,000.

July 1994: North Sydney fined $87,000 for breaching salary cap.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/rollcall-of-shame-20100422-tfyj.html

Raiders were in breach when they won the comp, and the year after.

SaintPauli

Juniors
The NSWRL had a salary cap from 1990 onwards, until the NRL took over in 1998.

I believe back 30 years ago it was around 1.5 M.

SALARY CAP BREACHES AND PENALTIES

April 1991: Canberra revealed to be in breach of salary cap when it won the 1990 Winfield Cup.

July 1991: Revealed the Raiders substantially breached their $1.5 million salary cap for 1991.

June 1993: Gold Coast fined $50,000 for exceeding 1992 salary cap by $150,000.

July 1994: North Sydney fined $87,000 for breaching salary cap.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/rollcall-of-shame-20100422-tfyj.html

Raiders were in breach when they won the comp, and the year after.
Maybe it was inclusive of 3rd party payments though i do remember a paper article showing the difference
Just before the grand final.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach

I have read a lot of comments over the years that the club should be getting 3rd party deals for players and supporters calling Millward and Co useless, whether they're or not is another story, an extract from the article explains it well, no grey area.

“TPAs are excluded from the salary cap provided they have no association with the players club and the club did not play a role in sourcing the agreement. If there is a link, it will be included the salary cap.”

Yow

Juniors
If players get extra $ to go on all the footy shows would love to know the % of the top end of town players that make it on there. Some clubs seem to get a lot.

Rod Coil

Juniors
Im sure SBW deal with C9 has nothing to do with Politis and Co organising it for him as part of the deals for him to play with the rorters a few years back...
Or Cooper Cronks ongoing role at Fox, or Fittler’s golden run in the media, or Morris’s stay on as a ‘trainer, or Manu (a centre) rejecting a $1M+ offer from the Warriors…I am sure it is a very long list if ever exposed in full.

Dragon David

First Grade
This will be quite interesting to see if any one will do any whistle blowing on Salary Cap and TPA cheating. Most of us have a feeling that there is some form of cheating going on in some clubs but will anyone from one club be willing to dob in another club? I doubt it.

Gourley's Socks

Juniors
This will be quite interesting to see if any one will do any whistle blowing on Salary Cap and TPA cheating. Most of us have a feeling that there is some form of cheating going on in some clubs but will anyone from one club be willing to dob in another club? I doubt it.

I read that too DD but my interpretation of PVL's comment was as a smokescreen. He's deliberately throwing down a challenge to which he knows full well no one can rise. Put up or shut up.

This way his entertainment product isn't sullied by accusations of impropriety and the same clubs that anyone with an ounce of common-sense knows are right to be suspected can continue on their merry way.

It has about as much substance as any of his other crackdowns and bold statements.

Dragon David

First Grade
I read that too DD but my interpretation of PVL's comment was as a smokescreen. He's deliberately throwing down a challenge to which he knows full well no one can rise. Put up or shut up.

This way his entertainment product isn't sullied by accusations of impropriety and the same clubs that anyone with an ounce of common-sense knows are right to be suspected can continue on their merry way.

It has about as much substance as any of his other crackdowns and bold statements.
A smokescreen indeed GS.

Trifili13

Juniors
I would be happy for the NRL cap auditors to publicly advise the total sum each club has in 3rd party payments to its players ( not individual player amounts obviously). At least it’s then transparent to all fans.
The problem is clubs won't disclose the illegal third party deals. Here is an article from a couple of years ago which actually shows the Dragon's had more TPA's than the Roosters. Based on this we should all apologise to the Roosters when we mock them about players taking unders to play there because of their 'culture'. They do it for the love of the club. I also have a bridge for sale if anyone is interested.

Rod Coil

Juniors
The problem is clubs won't disclose the illegal third party deals. Here is an article from a couple of years ago which actually shows the Dragon's had more TPA's than the Roosters. Based on this we should all apologise to the Roosters when we mock them about players taking unders to play there because of their 'culture'. They do it for the love of the club. I also have a bridge for sale if anyone is interested.

That list is stored in the fiction section. What a crock. And where are the updated figures for the last 4 years. They haven’t have even bothered to make up numbers since this fantasy story.