What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toronto Gone?

greenBV4

Bench
If they dont play this year that'll mean they place last and get relegated wont it?

Last edited:

Perth Tiger

Bench
no relegation this year apparently but dont know what that means with Toronto not completing their games.

Typical of RL though, get given a golden opportunity and we go about whiteanting it as much as possible (although COVID was out of their hands)

Warriors Fever

Juniors
I mean it’s been hard enough for the warriors and that’s just nz with central funding to cover our future. Imagine losing players outside of your control due to shitty visa issues and having no home games for a year. You can’t get rid of a team when the whole covid has killed the comp. so many insular poms are taking way to much joy of affectively killing off a shot in the arm for super league so they can have some Mining town of 10000back in.

Perth Red

Post Whore
no relegation this year apparently but dont know what that means with Toronto not completing their games.

Typical of RL though, get given a golden opportunity and we go about whiteanting it as much as possible (although COVID was out of their hands)

The only people who have stuffed up here are the Wolfpack management. They should have had their overseas players on 12 month visas like every other English SL club. Its why they have based the company in England so they could get player visas to be based there for the first half of the year, how much extra is a 12month visa compared to a 6month visa for goodness sake?

deluded pom?

Coach
Imagine the whining coming out of east Hull If Neil didn’t get his share of the Sky money. It wouldn’t be his fault though.

Pommy

Coach
The only people who have stuffed up here are the Wolfpack management. They should have had their overseas players on 12 month visas like every other English SL club. Its why they have based the company in England so they could get player visas to be based there for the first half of the year, how much extra is a 12month visa compared to a 6month visa for goodness sake?

it seems very unlikely the issue is as you think it is. Granted I was wrong about it not being a British company but I don’t think they would have had all these issues last year then paid mega money for SBW and done the same again. It doesn’t make sense and I think you know it doesn’t make sense you just hate Toronto because they’re everything KR will never be.

Perth Red

Post Whore
it seems very unlikely the issue is as you think it is. Granted I was wrong about it not being a British company but I don’t think they would have had all these issues last year then paid mega money for SBW and done the same again. It doesn’t make sense and I think you know it doesn’t make sense you just hate Toronto because they’re everything KR will never be.

what 138 years old? Your probably right looking at way things are playing out.

Taking The Two

Juniors
Let’s not forget that this is a business that has continually failed to pay players on time, has had numerous lawsuits against them for failure to pay people/businesses and have had visa issues every single year they’ve been in existence. This is also a business that agreed to take zero money from the game and receive zero TV money. They’ve been managed horribly since their inception and it’s little surprise it’s come to this.

That said, The RFL and Super League don’t get off without any portion of blame. Much like since day dot, Rugby League in the UK has not had a plan for expansion for Toronto, much like they didn’t for London Broncos, PSG, Gateshead Thunder, Celtic Crusaders or any of the lower league teams (Hemel, Coventry, Oxford and All Golds) they admitted at the start of the 2010’s. Arguably, the only one they’ve got right is Catalans’ exemption from relegation for three years when they were admitted.

This was all Eric Perez’s idea, his dream and there was never a strategic plan in place. I mean, what was the point of Toronto starting in League One against teams full of students or blokes who play the game part-time and pick up some beer tokens for their troubles? They should have, like Catalans, come in to Super League in 2017 and been told they have three years without relegation.

Toronto have been handled horribly by themselves and the game overall. I will be shocked to see them return at all next year. What I would do, however, is postpone Ottawa by a year. The next 12-18 months as we, hopefully, emerge from COVID are going to be testing and trying and I’d use the period between now and January 2022 to establish a proper plan for the game of Rugby League in Canada and for Ottawa. I wouldn’t bother with placing them in League One, it serves little purpose and achieves little. Get them in Super League with a minimum three year licence.

Taking The Two

Juniors
They hardly had a choice with this.

They did, though. They didn’t have to agree to that. They could have negotiated (after all, we’re told these are multi-millionaires, haven’t they ever negotiated anything before?), they could have walked away altogether or they could have gone about it a different way, ala Ottawa, who bought a licence from Hemel Stags.

deluded pom?

Coach
being from Barrow I feel I’m qualified to make such a claim. Also my only real experience of Hull was passing my heavy goods licence in KR car park so you can see why I might say such a thing.
Hull is Heaven compared to Barrow mate.

deluded pom?

Coach
They did, though. They didn’t have to agree to that. They could have negotiated (after all, we’re told these are multi-millionaires, haven’t they ever negotiated anything before?), they could have walked away altogether or they could have gone about it a different way, ala Ottawa, who bought a licence from Hemel Stags.
The deal was that they would fund the away teams travel and accommodation whilst in League 1 or the Championship. SL basically had them over a barrel. If they hadn’t agreed then they wouldn’t have been allowed into SL.

Pommy

Coach
The deal was that they would fund the away teams travel and accommodation whilst in League 1 or the Championship. SL basically had them over a barrel. If they hadn’t agreed then they wouldn’t have been allowed into SL.

Their greed is what makes me think they won’t kick Toronto out. The teams won’t want to divide the tv money 12 ways again so Toronto will keep their spot.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Let’s not forget that this is a business that has continually failed to pay players on time, has had numerous lawsuits against them for failure to pay people/businesses and have had visa issues every single year they’ve been in existence. This is also a business that agreed to take zero money from the game and receive zero TV money. They’ve been managed horribly since their inception and it’s little surprise it’s come to this.

That said, The RFL and Super League don’t get off without any portion of blame. Much like since day dot, Rugby League in the UK has not had a plan for expansion for Toronto, much like they didn’t for London Broncos, PSG, Gateshead Thunder, Celtic Crusaders or any of the lower league teams (Hemel, Coventry, Oxford and All Golds) they admitted at the start of the 2010’s. Arguably, the only one they’ve got right is Catalans’ exemption from relegation for three years when they were admitted.

This was all Eric Perez’s idea, his dream and there was never a strategic plan in place. I mean, what was the point of Toronto starting in League One against teams full of students or blokes who play the game part-time and pick up some beer tokens for their troubles? They should have, like Catalans, come in to Super League in 2017 and been told they have three years without relegation.

Toronto have been handled horribly by themselves and the game overall. I will be shocked to see them return at all next year. What I would do, however, is postpone Ottawa by a year. The next 12-18 months as we, hopefully, emerge from COVID are going to be testing and trying and I’d use the period between now and January 2022 to establish a proper plan for the game of Rugby League in Canada and for Ottawa. I wouldn’t bother with placing them in League One, it serves little purpose and achieves little. Get them in Super League with a minimum three year licence.

Far too sensible for RL!

deluded pom?

Coach
Their greed is what makes me think they won’t kick Toronto out. The teams won’t want to divide the tv money 12 ways again so Toronto will keep their spot.
The clubs here don’t know how to generate interest or money so they always take the easy option. They simply hope a good season will bring the fans in. The big flaw there is that someone has to be at the bottom of the table and it’s usually the same suspects. The teams at the top share the trophies around and don’t think they need to do anything. It’s called sitting on your laurels. Complacency. Bradford realised what could be done at the outset of SL. They went from winning the old league in front of 6-7000 to playing in front of 15000 in SL.

Latest posts