What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 ratings

The_Wookie

Bench
Round 10
Thursday
roosters v raiders
Fta Metro 325k (syd 202k bris 122k)
ptv 242k

Friday
Storm v Titans
ptv 204k
Wests v Broncos
fta metro 338k (syd 182k bris 140k other 16k)
ptv 265k

Saturday STV
SEA EAGLES V EELS FOX LEAGUE 282k
RABBITOHS V KNIGHTS FOX LEAGUE 262k
DRAGONS V BULLDOGS FOX LEAGUE 166k

Sunday
Panthers v Cowboys
FTA? Did it not reach top 20????
STV 217k

Warriors v Sharks STV 135k

Thursday
833k Total
351k Metro, 240k Reg, 242k Fox

Friday
804k total
338k metro, 201k reg, 265k Fox
204k Fox (early)

Sunday
Did not reach metro top 20.
Metro 284k, Reg 189k, Fox 217k
Fox 135k (early)

Data: Oztam, 9PR

We've always believed that one of the reasons the AFL didnt rate more was the length of time the game went for - and they've compressed the game time which prevents ratings from drifting too far.

People arent switching off rugby league - they just arent using FTA tv as much.

NRL Fox is holding steady - but accounts for 52% of all NRL ratings this season, whereas its only 35% for the AFL. The NRL is rating well in the VPM numbers, taking out the top 5 streaming spots on the oztam list every week (this includes 9 Now/Foxtel Go/Now but not Kayo.

I'd suggest another reason AFL is rating well is that Melbourne is the Covid hotbed of Australia and in a Victorian winter with limited places to go out (if any), people are staying in.

I agree with many others here that while the rule changes have improved aspects of the game, the overall football quality to me hasn't improved. I'll watch dragons gams but really only one, maybe (but rarely) two others interest me in a general round to the point I'll put it on TV. Some rounds I haven't bothered watching any other games. The difference between the top and bottom 8 teams is gargantuan for whatever reason. Unless it's the games like Raiders v Roosters or Eels v Storm, I'm not really that interested. And RL fans can be very fickle when their team isn't performing, Vics will watch regardless.

On FTA vs PayTV - I use Kayo. I don't know if that affects the ratings. Before Kayo (having cancelled my foxtel last year) I watched Channel 9 again regularly for the first time in years. And geez it's was very vanilla. I can't put my finger on why but it just seems a tired old, washed out coverage. I like Fatty in commentary and also Gus, but the rest of it just doesn't grab me. Maybe I'm stuck in the 90's...

Perth Red

Post Whore
Just had a look to see what games I'll tune into this weekend. Here's my viewing ( I used to watch nearly every game every week)

Eels v Wests - could be a good attacking game
Broncos v Storm - only because I'm a Storm fan
Raiders v Rabbitohs - Reasonable chance this will be a good close game

Thats it. None of the others have much interest for me in the match ups or anticipated quality of the game or closeness of the result. If I wasnt a Storm fan Id be down to 2 felt worth watching!

A combination of blow outs, big gap between the top and bottom, lack of stars who excite you to watch and empty stadiums at moment are making the tv product pretty weak.

Steel Saints

Juniors
I'd suggest another reason AFL is rating well is that Melbourne is the Covid hotbed of Australia and in a Victorian winter with limited places to go out (if any), people are staying in.

I agree with many others here that while the rule changes have improved aspects of the game, the overall football quality to me hasn't improved. I'll watch dragons gams but really only one, maybe (but rarely) two others interest me in a general round to the point I'll put it on TV. Some rounds I haven't bothered watching any other games. The difference between the top and bottom 8 teams is gargantuan for whatever reason. Unless it's the games like Raiders v Roosters or Eels v Storm, I'm not really that interested. And RL fans can be very fickle when their team isn't performing, Vics will watch regardless.

On FTA vs PayTV - I use Kayo. I don't know if that affects the ratings. Before Kayo (having cancelled my foxtel last year) I watched Channel 9 again regularly for the first time in years. And geez it's was very vanilla. I can't put my finger on why but it just seems a tired old, washed out coverage. I like Fatty in commentary and also Gus, but the rest of it just doesn't grab me. Maybe I'm stuck in the 90's...

Not having Canterbury Cup or ISP hasnt helped, especially when teams have long injury lists, and the players coming in, do not have the match fitness because they are not playing.

Another reason is the amount of influential players who have moved on over the last couple of years. Names like JT, Slater, Cronk, Maloney, Inglis, Sam Burgess, Gallen, Lewis, Mannering, Widdop, Scott, Hayne and Farah are players who are not easy to replace straight away.

T-Boon

Coach

This is how I am as well. If Parra are playing I am glued to the TV, any other game I lose interest after about 5 minutes even when I've been looking forward to the game(as I often do for friday night footy).
I think we let the coaches dictate how the game is played for too long and all they care about is winning not the actual spectacle of the game.
"Get to the kick" is not good entertainment.
I am also sick of hearing every team that has a winning streak say "yeah we really focus/take pride in our defence". I think if a teams spends 80% of their time on defense they should lose games. That should be a recipe for loses. We should change the rules so that's the case. If you neglect working on attacking combinations and skill in favor of working a disproportionate amount on D then you should lose. Defense is the boringest 50% of the game. A lot of these teams look like they spend just 20% of their time working on attack.

Not having Canterbury Cup or ISP hasnt helped, especially when teams have long injury lists, and the players coming in, do not have the match fitness because they are not playing.

Another reason is the amount of influential players who have moved on over the last couple of years. Names like JT, Slater, Cronk, Maloney, Inglis, Sam Burgess, Gallen, Lewis, Mannering, Widdop, Scott, Hayne and Farah are players who are not easy to replace straight away.

indeed that’s a truckload of talent to fall off the tree, and sadly I don’t think that there’s nearly enough coming through or establishing themselves at the same level as these guys. Especially in the halves.

Steel Saints

Juniors
indeed that’s a truckload of talent to fall off the tree, and sadly I don’t think that there’s nearly enough coming through or establishing themselves at the same level as these guys. Especially in the halves.

I know this is the tv ratings section, but it will be interesting to see the progression of a few of the young halves in the next couple of years. Sam Walker, Jayden Sullivan and Noah Griffiths are all good prospects.

I know this is the tv ratings section, but it will be interesting to see the progression of a few of the young halves in the next couple of years. Sam Walker, Jayden Sullivan and Noah Griffiths are all good prospects.

it’s ok to go off-piste in threads every now and then.

I honestly think that we are in the biggest low point of halves in the competition I can remember (my memory goes back to the early 80’s).

Name me modern day half who would be a genuine consideration as a great of the game. No-one comes close for mine. Once Thurston and Cronk left, that was it. All the years beforehand you could name at least 2 or 3 greats running around. In the early 90’s it was an absolute smorgasbord - which is my favourite era of league.

Those guys could be great prospects, there are many others too.But for the chief playmaking positions to be in the lowest ebb in decades (in my opinion) goes a long way to explaining why I don’t watch as many games as I used to.

Steel Saints

Juniors
it’s ok to go off-piste in threads every now and then.

I honestly think that we are in the biggest low point of halves in the competition I can remember (my memory goes back to the early 80’s).

Name me modern day half who would be a genuine consideration as a great of the game. No-one comes close for mine. Once Thurston and Cronk left, that was it. All the years beforehand you could name at least 2 or 3 greats running around. In the early 90’s it was an absolute smorgasbord - which is my favourite era of league.

Those guys could be great prospects, there are many others too.But for the chief playmaking positions to be in the lowest ebb in decades (in my opinion) goes a long way to explaining why I don’t watch as many games as I used to.

Keary has the potential to be one. It depends on what happens over the next four to five years. He has won three premierships. He dominated the 2018 GF like a JT or a Joey.

Remember when Qld won 8 in a row? Many laud them to be the best origin side of all time. But who were they up against? Mitch Pearce.

You want to see halves take the ball to the line and put someone through a gap. Not many do that on a consistent basis. One of my all time favourites was Cliff Lyons. He was fun to watch.

Keary has the potential to be one. It depends on what happens over the next four to five years. He has won three premierships. He dominated the 2018 GF like a JT or a Joey.

Remember when Qld won 8 in a row? Many laud them to be the best origin side of all time. But who were they up against? Mitch Pearce.

You want to see halves take the ball to the line and put someone through a gap. Not many do that on a consistent basis. One of my all time favourites was Cliff Lyons. He was fun to watch.

Agree about Keary, and also @gUt referring to Munster. There are possibly some others too - although there are no greats currently going around in the halves - apart from maybe Benji Marshall who I consider a great, although he's very much in the twilight of his career. I don't think Pearce is a bad as many people think, but he's definitely not a great.

Halves craft the attack. Guys like Lyons, Stuart, Langer, Daley, Walters, Toovey, Johns, Lamb, Sterling, Kenny, Lewis, Alexander, and Fittler (even though he played centre and lock also) were players I'd turn the TV on to watch whenever their teams played. They were all greats of the game. And - while some mainly played in the 80's - all these guys played in the 90's. I doubt there's ever been an era for halves like it - and it appears a long time before it could happen again - if at all.

I do think the modern day fullbacks and wingers are a level above previous eras, some of the stuff they can do is spectacular. But nothing comes close to great halves to make a neutral game a reason to cancel your plans and turn on to watch. We've only got potential ones at the moment.

Usain Bolt

Bench
Bulldogs, Broncos, Cowboys, Warriors are all holding up the bottom of the ladder. That is not good for ratings, nor the game.

Yep this season has really exposed the divide between top and bottom. Just a few years ago you’d say anyone could beat anyone but looking at this rounds games..

Broncos/Storm
Warriors/Roosters
Knights/Bulldogs
Titans/Panthers

you already know who’s going to win those games.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Broncos, Cowboys,Warriors, St's, Titans, Bulldogs, Its hard to remember when the bottom teams have been so dire and so many as this season? Maybe Covid, maybe just coincidence? Its not so much that the win loss as proably other seasons may be similar but the quality and the gulf between these clubs and the top 6 seems bigger this year? It makes for poor tv and poor audiences.

gUt

Coach
For the Broncos one factor has been the introduction of the six-again. Our pack was not built for this style of game and it seemed to blindside the club.

yakstorm

First Grade
Rugby League has always been a momentum game, get on a roll and suddenly what was a reasonably tight game between two teams see's one jump ahead by 12 - 18 points.

The new 6-again rule, whilst doing a great job of discouraging the wrestle, really puts teams to the sword, especially when some of the weaker teams previously would adopt spoiling tactics to lay on the opposition, be off-side, etc to prevent tries (which at least made games feel closer). Now the opposition is allowed to keep their attack flowing, gets another 6 tackles to wear down the defenders and of course are converting it to points.

Throw in the lack of depth in the squads because anyone who isn't in the top 17 isn't getting game time and thus aren't match fit, is is resulting in more blowouts than we've seen for a number of years.

Still I would imagine even as this season continues we'll see some resetting and some of the teams who have struggled with the new rules adapt and by next year a more balanced competition.

It's not like the quality of the AFL hasn't been impacted by COVID as well, it was only a couple of weeks ago the Swans and Richmond played it out for a game with only 7 goals in it. Their ratings are being helped by having 'strong' teams like Collingwood, West Coast, Geelong and Port all doing well, versus we have all 3 Queensland teams struggling, plus other 'strong' clubs like the Bulldogs and Warriors not doing well as well.

The_Wookie

Bench
The mysterious beast is finally revealed!

28% of the NRL and 24% of the AFL audience on kayo.

Its hard to make that generalisation. Last week it was reported that an AFL game with a Foxtel audience of 217k had a Kayo/Fox streaming audience of 108k (33%). Too little data.

It doesnt take into account 9Now streaming for NRL matches either.

Latest posts