What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toronto Gone?

RedVee

First Grade
The clubs here don’t know how to generate interest or money so they always take the easy option. They simply hope a good season will bring the fans in. The big flaw there is that someone has to be at the bottom of the table and it’s usually the same suspects. The teams at the top share the trophies around and don’t think they need to do anything. It’s called sitting on your laurels. Complacency. Bradford realised what could be done at the outset of SL. They went from winning the old league in front of 6-7000 to playing in front of 15000 in SL.
To.... ???
I expect there will be a book on the Bradford journey

deluded pom?

Coach
To.... ???
I expect there will be a book on the Bradford journey
The point is they realised they had to change to increase their attendances whereas virtually every other club just carried on with the same old, same old and still do and wonder why nothing changes.

Perth Red

Post Whore
David Argyle has called on Super League not to kick Toronto Wolfpack out of the competition following their decision to withdraw from the rest of the 2020 season.
Super League executive chairman Robert Elstone told Sky Sports Newsthe competition will look at possible sanctions against the Canadian outfit, plus have conversations with both the Wolfpack and the other member clubs about their long-term plans and status in the competition.
oronto owner Argyle believes the club are still worthy of a place in Super League for the work they have done in expanding the sport into North America, but added they now need help to continue with that.

"On the range of remedies that Super League and the RFL could look at, I think it would be short-sighted not to continue on with this wonderful platform," Argyle told Sky Sports.

"We don't have an issue with the financial challenges and obligations, what we need is some recognition. The real way forward is for us to be treated like every other Super League team.

"I think we should be full members of the RFL...and we are full members of Super League, but we don't receive any financial support through central distribution or any other benefits. That's the way it was, but it has to go forward on a better foundation.

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-lea...-league-needs-a-strong-north-america-presence

Perth Red

Post Whore
'but we don't receive any financial support through central distribution'

Hmmm, this was their call and clearly they said they didnt need it and were happy to be admitted without it. I guess the Nth American TV deal they wee counting on hasnt come off. Personally I dont think any club should be in that position and the club grants should be same for all clubs (this sencario reminds me very much of the Western reds travel deal in 1995 that killed the clubs viability) but this seems just another indication that the Wolfpack business plan isnt going to plan!

deluded pom?

Coach

Hmmm, this was their call and clearly they said they didnt need it and were happy to be admitted without it. I guess the Nth American TV deal they wee counting on hasnt come off. Personally I dont think any club should be in that position and the club grants should be same for all clubs (this sencario reminds me very much of the Western reds travel deal in 1995 that killed the clubs viability) but this seems just another indication that the Wolfpack business plan isnt going to plan!
There wasn’t any opportunity to get a NA tv deal as Sky had already sold the rights on.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Does he really think rugby union fans are going to buy a share?

doesn’t sound good for the future.

Argyle, whose day job is as a mining and natural resources entrepreneur specializing in emerging markets, has reached deep into his investments to get the team this far. Friends and family have also pitched in.

But now there are no more assets to sell off to keep the team going.

Argyle blames himself for the team stalling this season. But he is asking for rugby lovers to take a leap of faith — with a C-note in hand.

Pommy

Coach

Let’s be realistic no business plan is going to plan. The company I work for was ready to double its workforce in January to around 600, they’ve just had the first round of redundancies.

Last edited:

deluded pom?

Coach
Let’s be realistic no business plan is going to plan. The company I work for was ready to double its workforce in January to around 600, they’ve just had the first round of redundancies.
I used to work in the aerospace industry.
Why do so many people wear blinkers and ignore the pandemic and what it’s doing to economies all over the world just so they can beat up on TWP?

Pommy

Coach
David argyle was interviewed on sky prior to Saints Catalans. Said everyone will get paid, club needs central funding to make a more sustainable business model given current events.