What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uncle Nick Politis

10$ Ferret

Staff member
One thing is true though that by employing Phil Gould the NRL will improve immensely.

But unfortunately we have to wait until it leaves after he stuffs it up completely, look how well Penrith are going after they pissed him off

Perth Red

Post Whore
Vlandys nsw centric, Gould nsw centric, politis nsw centric. I smell another SL war brewing!

2 weeks

Coach
his golf game is in rapid decline though.

I think it's his putting letting him down

tenor.gif

Vee

First Grade
One thing is true though that by employing Phil Gould the NRL will improve immensely.
Not if he gets involved in the reffing, which, according to him, he could fix in his lunchbreak. I look forward to watching him try and fail but I don't believe he will ever admit failure.

10$ Ferret

Staff member
Not if he gets involved in the reffing, which, according to him, he could fix in his lunchbreak. I look forward to watching him try and fail but I don't believe he will ever admit failure.

I meant it will improve after he leaves as he will leave it in such a bad state :)

The guy is a dick and has no solutions. He is only good at yelling at things after they happen.
Penrith is a perfect example, when he ran it the place was a basket case. now he has gone its starting to turn around

Dingo_dan

Juniors
I meant it will improve after he leaves as he will leave it in such a bad state :)

The guy is a dick and has no solutions. He is only good at yelling at things after they happen.
Penrith is a perfect example, when he ran it the place was a basket case. now he has gone its starting to turn around
Weren't panthers going broke before he arrived despite having a huge leagues club?
On field they'd rarely make the finals?
Juniors were finding success at other clubs?

Didn't gould completely revitalize their off field finances, get in a lot of corporate money, help get the team to the stage that they are regular finalists and completely revamped the junior system (his passion project) to the point that Panthers are now keeping their best kids.

He left Panthers in a much better state then what he found it in.

Reactions: Vee

The_Frog

First Grade

Nothing whatever to do with the pathways he put in place, of course. Why do you think Vlandys wants him for this kind of role?

soc123_au

Staff member

Gus made a few bad decisions toward the end of his time at Penrith, but the foundations he had already built are solid. I shudder to think where we would be without the things he did. The whole 5 year plan he gets judged on was a throwaway line taken completely out of context.

Look at our named 17 this week. 1 player only that didnt debut at Penrith. Now that would mean shit if we were bottom 4. But a thing to be proud of when you are sitting on top. The pathways are working, it was never going to be a quick fix, but things are looking pretty good now.

A lot of you may be too young to remember when the Roosters were a shit show. Uncle Nick got Gus over there and things slowly improved. The Super League fiasco gifted them Freddy which helped but it still took time. They didnt win the comp until Gus was out, but he laid the foundations. They didnt have the juniors we have so they went for talent identification & targeted the right kids. We all joke about how they poach, but aside from Melbourne their strike rate at recognising young talent & developing it the right way is extraordinary. Uncle Nick is a brilliant businessman, but Gus taught him how to do Rugby League. It's still paying dividends.

Rumour has it that Gus's last act at Penrith was a Nespresso machine at the academy. I think we are f**king golden for a few decades now.