What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

King Sonny Bill may return to the NRL... Which club should he join?

Where should Sonny Bill play?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Is he going to sell more tickets? No.
Is he going to sell more corporate boxes? No.
Is he going to be outstanding on the pitch and boost roosters premiership Chances? Not of what we’ve seen is anything to go by.
Personally I find it amusing that the roosters, who required $1.6million of LC funding last year that could have gone to grass roots rugby league, are going to waste So much money on him.
Similar questions (and responses) were received when the NRL reviewed the merits of expansion to Perth.

Game_Breaker

Coach
I reckon Sonny must have given Game Breaker's missus the Candice treatment at some point.

This level of anger can't possibly be just over a 35 year old bloke making $200K for 6 games coming off the bench

lol
Typical response when the facts are inconvenient

Don’t get upset I like pointing out the bullshit from posters like aqua

TheDalek079

Bench
Canada or New Zealand?

Reserve All Black or single target?

Why call him a reserve All Black? All it does is show how ignorant you are. SBW started for the All Blacks in 42 tests, and came off the bench 16 times. He started on over 70 percent of his test matches

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I apologise, I am not quite sure what makes a great All Black.

But I think he is not a great one.

No Dan or Richie.

Just a bit part player at best in that game.

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
The two greatest forwards I have seen are Jason Taumalolo and Sonny Bill Williams. Thanks everybody else... here is a participation award.

MKCS

Juniors
It was always going to be the Roosters. 200k for 6 games (And the finals) isn't all that much and most teams would have that same money available it was simply a choice that would best suit SBW which is the Roosters.

It's good for the game I think. He'll pop a TV rating upon his return, he'll probably play solid enough to help the Roosters out but really if most teams can't outplay a 35 year old in the tail end of his career it's a problem.

aqua_duck

Coach
Stop talking bullshit, I haven't changed my position. Is misrepresenting people the only trick you know?

Your entire argument is based on ignoring a current contract and why it should be ignored.
This is also against the rules, you can't have more than one contract. Another fact gone over your head
Wolfpack got him on a $10M deal for 2 years
Putting aside their stupidity for signing him on that coin, that's his market value because that's what the market paid.
you literally said his market value is $5 mil a year, when it was pointed out to you that it was a different market you changed you tune by saying well maybe it's not exactly $5 mil
I don’t think he’s market value is what a stupid Super League club paid, they paid above his market value

I’m saying the fact they paid him that much drives up his market value here and $400K a season is way below his market value
We know his approximate market value overseas and shouldn’t just ignore it
so my question is is that not a change of stance?

Game_Breaker

Coach
you literally said his market value is $5 mil a year, when it was pointed out to you that it was a different market you changed you tune by saying well maybe it's not exactly $5 mil
so my question is is that not a change of stance?

No it’s not
Thats he’s market value according to the stupid super league club. They paid him that, so it’s better than any valuation.

I can disagree and say they paid overs

Maybe I could’ve worded it better, but no change.

Still doesn’t justify ignoring his current contract or breaking the rules and allow him to have 2 contracts

GongPanther

Referee
But he’s only playing 6-8 games. 4 if he goes to Warriors plus he’s 35 and been out of NRL for 6 years. You’ve gotta be realistic about his value.
His value would come from the final 15 of the first half, then the final 20 of the 2nd. The other value t the NRL will be ratings. Whether they admit it or not, the average Rugby Union fan (here and overseas) will be watching as well as ppl across the sporting spectrum.

aqua_duck

Coach
No it’s not
Thats he’s market value according to the stupid super league club. They paid him that, so it’s better than any valuation.

I can disagree and say they paid overs

Maybe I could’ve worded it better, but no change.

Still doesn’t justify ignoring his current contract or breaking the rules and allow him to have 2 contracts
You literally said his market value was what the contract was worth then you said they paid above market value, so what is his market value? At the end of the day we can go around in circles debating this but this is what the NRL have decided so it is what it is and I'm not sure why you're so upset, he's not going to be playing the dogs where as he'll be lining up against my team in round 19

Meth

Staff member
I apologise, I am not quite sure what makes a great All Black.

But I think he is not a great one.

No Dan or Richie.

Just a bit part player at best in that game.

He wasn't a great All Black, but he was a good All Black in a great All Black team.

I think League is his most natural game though. He is built for it.

Freak of an athlete

aqua_duck

Coach
He wasn't a great All Black, but he was a good All Black in a great All Black team.

I think League is his most natural game though. He is built for it.

Freak of an athlete
Yep, he was a much better union player than people give him credit for and was a bit unlucky to be behind the greatest centres in rugby history in Ma'a Nonu

Game_Breaker

Coach
You literally said his market value was what the contract was worth then you said they paid above market value, so what is his market value? At the end of the day we can go around in circles debating this but this is what the NRL have decided so it is what it is and I'm not sure why you're so upset, he's not going to be playing the dogs where as he'll be lining up against my team in round 19

There’s no contradiction, what they believe his market value is, and me believing they paid overs are both true

Yes, the NRL decided to break their own rules

gordynz

Juniors
One of my favourite athletes out of all sports. I can't wait to see him back in the NRL, and I couldn't care less that he's going back to the Roosters. I don't know why everyone's whinging lol at 35 years old he doesn't make them that much better...

Generalzod

Immortal
One of my favourite athletes out of all sports. I can't wait to see him back in the NRL, and I couldn't care less that he's going back to the Roosters. I don't know why everyone's whinging lol at 35 years old he doesn't make them that much better...
Favourite of all time wouldn’t come close to the likes of Pele, Michael Jordon.....

soc123_au

Staff member
Favourite of all time wouldn’t come close to the likes of Pele, Michael Jordon.....
The thing with favourites is you get to choose your own. I've heard Jordan was pretty good, but I couldnt give a f**k about basketball & have never watched a game. So I would consider Adrian Purtell as someone I have favoured watching over Jordan. Thats how favourites work.

Latest posts