What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NEW SKIPPER & BIG BROOM

dungay dragon

Juniors
With this year . like previous , a write off , its now time for Millward and Co to implement complete change with a view to 2021 /22 etc ...
The positives...
Build our Club around our most promising youngsters ie
Lomax , Dufty , Ford , Clune, Kerr, Sailor , Sullivan , Ramsey , Saab plus those experienced who are still performing admirably ie Vaughan , Aitken McInness Rava just to name a few
The Coach...Bleeds Red n White but has outstayed his tenure and needs to step back gracefully before being tossed
A choice of a new Coach should be
The most experienced
That wants the challenge
One we can afford
or one that has served a lengthy apprentice ship ie Fitzy or Ryles
Personally i would chase Green , Griffin , Flanagan or left field Wane , the pommy
The Captain
McInness is an inspirational player but is not a skipper..Would be the most polite in the NRL
Rarely argues a decision , which fails to stop an opposition quick re set .
Perhaps Clune would be ideal , as he is a real talker on the field , and will n should be signed long term...
The BIG BROOM
Time to off load the over rated , over paid and dead wood...
In no particular order HUNT, NORMAN, SIMMS X2 , LAWRIE ,and Frizz ..gone by choice..
Gives us an almighty war chest to bring some experience and mongrel into the squad
Bring in at least two hard as nails forwards ..1 prop to help the dragon youngsters over the next few seasons , and a fullback
DUFTY
Our major attack weapon and future long term fan favourite
Has deft ball playing skills , and would love to see him in the halves with Clune
Gets rag dolled at 1 and is constantly under pressure from the high ball..
Mentioned Millward ...Happy for Nathan Brown to oversee recruitment ,, Has a smart mind when assessing and recognising talent , An ideal foil for the new coach..
We will possibly take a big hit in 2021 but it will be worth it in the long run
New coach,,new players..young dragons ..new ideas .. fresh attitude without the arrogance
We have needed this type of shake up for several seasons now , but instead have meandered along into almost obscurity , with some even merging or relocation to survive being discussed
With implimentation of at least some of the above , we can restore this famous once Club , with the BIG RED V , back to its former glory....

Coffs dragon

Bench
In order to implement change then the main change needs to start at the top with our 2 glaring problems, Coach & Recruitment.
We desperately need Nathan Brown to come in and rebuild the entire foundation of this club as a Recruitment & Development Manager. Basil Millward needs to ride off into the Illawarra sunset and stay away from Dragons operations.

A new Head Coach is an absolute given and I don’t care who it is, as it would be an immediate improvement on the Peanut. (Fitzgibbon, Ryles or Green come to mind)
The clean out and purge of players should then follow under the responsibility of the above 2 working together to lay strong foundations.

possm

Coach
In order to implement change then the main change needs to start at the top with our 2 glaring problems, Coach & Recruitment.
We desperately need Nathan Brown to come in and rebuild the entire foundation of this club as a Recruitment & Development Manager. Basil Millward needs to ride off into the Illawarra sunset and stay away from Dragons operations.

A new Head Coach is an absolute given and I don’t care who it is, as it would be an immediate improvement on the Peanut. (Fitzgibbon, Ryles or Green come to mind)
The clean out and purge of players should then follow under the responsibility of the above 2 working together to lay strong foundations.
What two Illawarra 'old boys' being shown the door? Won't happen without some major changes at Board level.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
This one big enough?

images

mickeylane

Bench

Agree totally Browny is a gun at identifying talent also a Dragon at the Heart of it... I still think Griffin would be the ideal coach for us.....

Dragon David

First Grade
I’m happy McInnes doesn’t argue decisions. I’m yet to see the day a ref goes “you know what you are right I’ll reverse that”.
Yes, whinging to the ref won't change his decision but the captain can challenge now which helps. He needs though to motivate our guys on the field. Get stuck into them and give them a serve from time to time. He is the captain and the players need his voice to be heard. We need talkers in the front and back line.

The start of the game against Souths we looked like world beaters but it didn't take long for us to come crashing down to earth, once Souths had more possession through penalties and 6 agains and Walker ran through without a hand on him basically to score. This should have been the time that the players started to gee each other up and McInnes leading the way.

mickeylane

Bench
I’m happy McInnes doesn’t argue decisions. I’m yet to see the day a ref goes “you know what you are right I’ll reverse that”.
Mciness is a shit captain never challenges and if the rules allows you then use them ...even to slowdown the opponents momentum.. he’s just a dumb tackling machine..he even forgets when to run from dummy half... if the rumours are correct Bulldogs are after him and let me tell you if JDB is back Mciness won’t be starting next year - Hunt twice the Hooker.. would love to see a spine of
Dufty
Sailor
Clune
Hunt

mickeylane

Bench
What two Illawarra 'old boys' being shown the door? Won't happen without some major changes at Board level.
Need some real Dragons blood at the helm
Morris Iemma Chairman
Doust on the board
Mark Taylor on the board
Mark Coyne
This will get the club firing some high profile board members that can influence people just like the Roosters..

Old Timer

Coach
Mciness is a shit captain never challenges and the rules allows you then use it .. even to slowdown the opponents momentum.. he’s just a dumb tackling machine.. Hunt twice the Hooker.. would love to see a spine of
Dufty
Sailor
Clune
Hunt
Hunt is shit no matter which position he plays in our current side.

The notion that we are playing better when he plays 9 is a myth and means people are overlooking the individual brilliance provided by Dufty & Lomax.

If Hunt was going so great at hooker our forwards would be dominating and that is more than obviously not happening.

Re challenging please tell me when a ref ever changed his ruling other than captains challenges in which he appears to have done very well thus far compared to most captains?

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Our biggest problem is, as always, the coach.
Change coach and our fortunes will change.

As for our skipper, no other team bar the Storm have, what you would call arguementative captains. Point in question is the current ladder leader, who is their captain? Nobother than Tamou. Or how about the Raiders, last years GF's, their captain is Croker.
Yes, there are a few that challenge, like Friend or DCE, but when has a decision been overturned, other than through the new captains challlenge?

Do we need to move players on, yes of course, however, and unfortunately, most of these players are under contract, and if we are moving them on of all clubs, who would take them and at what percentage cost to our cap. Just have to look at the situation with McCulloch whonis out for the season with the Knights but the Broncos paying a huge chunk of his salary for nothing. I think Norman is the only one we should be seriously looking to move on. Interestingly, Foran isnt happy with his offer at the Dogs and is 'rumoured' that Newcastle are interested. Maybe this is an avenue we should explore if Foran leaves the Dogs.

We need props, that should be our focus instead of waiting on certain results that are out of our control

mickeylane

Bench

The notion that we are playing better when he plays 9 is a myth and means people are overlooking the individual brilliance provided by Dufty & Lomax.

If Hunt was going so great at hooker our forwards would be dominating and that is more than obviously not happening.

Re challenging please tell me when a ref ever changed his ruling other than captains challenges in which he appears to have done very well thus far compared to most captains?
Your telling the wrong bloke tell Walters when he picks him for SOO this year and Meninga when he picks him in his 17 Australian team as well.. #noidea

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Mciness is a shit captain never challenges and if the rules allows you then use them ...even to slowdown the opponents momentum.. he’s just a dumb tackling machine..he even forgets when to run from dummy half... if the rumours are correct Bulldogs are after him and let me tell you if JDB is back Mciness won’t be starting next year - Hunt twice the Hooker.. would love to see a spine of
Dufty
Sailor
Clune
Hunt
Its his first year as captain made, Cameron Smiths weren't built in a day.

mickeylane

Bench
I’m also Just taking about captains challenges he just doesn’t read the game at all - he’s not alert the captains challenge especially late in a half can be used to slow momentum down and regroup.. Mciness is just an honest $350k a year Hooker ..

mickeylane

Bench
Its his first year as captain made, Cameron Smiths weren't built in a day.
Please we are not here to trial captains we are here to appoint the best available someone that’s smart enough to manage the rules to our advantage and also rally the troops.. he does none of the above

Old Timer

Coach
Your telling the wrong bloke tell Walters when he picks him for SOO this year and Meninga when he picks him in his 17 Australian team as well.. #noidea
Why put it on them you said you wanted him in your spine?

For the record he has absolutely no chance of making the Australian side and at best a slim chance of making the bench for the Qld SOO and I suspect that he will well and truly play himself out of that side by the end of the club season.

FMD if we had a decent 13 he wouldn't make the 9 in our team but maybe you can send me his highlight real to try and convince me.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Hunt may get the bench role for QLD in SOO, I think young Grant is the favourite for their starting hooker atm.

Old Timer

Coach
Hunt may get the bench role for QLD in SOO, I think young Grant is the favourite for their starting hooker atm.
By seasons end he will be lucky to be our hooker such will be his implosion.

His shitness will become more and more evident especially after getting a couple of good beltings from the Chooks & Eels who just love a day out against us and let's not forget what the Storm night have brewing up for us as well.

In those 3 games he will be up against 2 potential Qld hookers and the former best Qld & Australian hooker of the modern era and the comparisons of Hunt to them will be more than telling.

This is all on the proviso that Mc Fookknuckle doesn't in fact punt Clune and insist on Hunt at 7.

gregstar

Referee
David Waite director of football to monitor & implement talent identification & school programs.

The guy is a genius at establishing junior development. All Newcastle's junior talent was developed under his role at the club from 1988. ALL talent.

Latest posts