What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 12 vs Storm @ Sunshine Coast Stadium

Who will win? Round 12: Storm v Knights

• Melbourne Storm 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

• Newcastle Knights 1-12

• Newcastle Knights 13+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jog on then. I’m sure you had a similar meltdown after the Cowboys loss as well.
A little harsh methinks.

That was an acceptable performance to you? Was everyone doing their best? It's surely understandable for a long-suffering supporter to feel this way at times after enduring such sustained incompetence from the club. It's past the time for meltdowns, I just want the club to care as much as we do.

Anyhow, nice to see Crosslands named, albeit on the bench. Would love to see both Hoy and Crosslands come into the side in some way. The more creativity and spark the better right now.

Knight76

Juniors
https://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2020/07/28/pearce-ownership-kicking-form-future/

Pearce on performance on the weekend (team and his) kicking, etc.

Not a criticism because media training nowadays tends to make them all vanilla but I'm not sure I get the fire and passion I'd like to see out of our captain and leader after a result like that when he fronts the media.

Pearce always looks like he doesnt want to be there and doesnt care during media interviews.

Now he just looks like that on field also. I was figuring after last week we would be seeing a Pearce "its not acceptable" interview so no surprise.

mongoose

Coach
That performance against the Bulldogs demoralised me more than any other in recent memory and that's saying something. There's only so much punishment fans can take. Any care or hope I had for the team for this season and with that halfback is gone. The players don't care so why should I?

Not watching this one and that'll be the first time I've ever missed a match in sheer disgust.

I don't think you're giving the Dogs enough credit. They were due a tough gritty win and you just faced them on the wrong day. They played the conditions better and wanted it more. They were always going to come out and compete after the way they lost to the Dragons. You're only 1 point out of the top 4.

EdLondon

Juniors
Did anyone read Tooheys Herald article with OB saying players are on notice? I'm not subscribed and just wanted a general rundown.

Did anyone read Tooheys Herald article with OB saying players are on notice? I'm not subscribed and just wanted a general rundown.
JULY 30 2020 - 5:45PM
KNIGHTS | Coach Adam O'Brien has put his players on notice ahead of Storm clash

Knights coach Adam O'Brien has warned he will make personnel changes if he fails to get a positive bounce back from his side's loss to the Bulldogs, declaring there will be players "fighting for their footy life" against Melbourne on Sunday.

Despite a lengthy injury toll that has left him with a quarter of his playing group unavailable, O'Brien insists he won't be afraid to blood a young squad member going forward if the attitude and effort from a number of his current players doesn't improve against the Storm on the Sunshine Coast.

O'Brien questioned his players' sense of entitlement after their shock defeat to the bottom-placed Bulldogs and he double-down on his hard-line approach yesterday by insisting positions in the team are on the line.

"If we don't get a bounce back this week, I need to make some personnel changes. That's what will happen," he said.

"If it's a young guy that hasn't been tried, if I think he is going to come out and give us effort, then I'll put him in.

"There are some guys there I'd guess you'd say are fighting for their footy life after last week.

"So I'm looking for a good performance from a fair few of them."

The Knights have lost their past eight games against the Storm, including a 26-12 defeat in round 5 at Gosford seven weeks ago. They were as flat as tacks in the first half of that game to trail 18-0 after 35 minutes but fought back after the break to make a real contest of it.

O'Brien is convinced his side can take a lot of confidence out of that second half performance into the clash on Sunday.

"We can believe we can win because of how we finished against them last time we played against them," he said.

"We were stand-offish and they pour through us and we were a little bit loose with our contact to start the game. But when we stopped being in awe of them, we gave ourselves some self-belief.

"Defensively, we are a better team now then we were a month ago. We've made some improvements in that area."

O'Brien says the Knights will have to be prepared to stay in the grind for the duration if they are to come away with the points against an unrelenting Storm who have won their past five games in succession.

"I know what they'll give us - they'll give us 80 minutes," O'Brien said when asked what to expect from the Storm. "They'll put a lot of pressure on you and wait for you to crumble. They came with a game plan last time where they moved the footy and didn't just try and go through our middle.

"They are really well balanced, they have been together a long time so they understand what their best footy looks like.

"But at the end of the day, we've got to get us right. We need to start a lot better and stay in the fight because it will go the 12 rounds, these sorts of games against Melbourne.

"If you are going to be there for a three-round fight, it won't happen."

O'Brien has plenty of faith in rookies Chris Randall and Phoenix Crossland to do a job out of dummy half.

"Randy, I think he showed in his debut game when he made 71 tackles that I'm going to get effort out of him and Phoenix trained really well there yesterday," he said.

"When you put a half in at 9, they generally get the ball to the person that needs it and they have a nice pass but what I like about Phoenix is he has put some size on."

ryana87

Juniors
Just listened to this week's presser with AOB..... this fella is seriously the real deal, everything he said is absolute bang on, he is exactly what we need.

He knows we're mental midgets.... He knows Pearce's kicking game is terrible..... He just sees it how it is and doesn't sugar coat it. I really see great things under him in the next few years..... I'm really interested what he does when Pearce's contract is up

Yosh

Coach
Some bug calls with Crossland at hooker. I guess I like it.

I wonder who is on notice?

Pearce?
Fitz?

Rest of the team seems to be doing their part.

Spot On

Coach
Just listened to this week's presser with AOB..... this fella is seriously the real deal, everything he said is absolute bang on, he is exactly what we need.

He knows we're mental midgets.... He knows Pearce's kicking game is terrible..... He just sees it how it is and doesn't sugar coat it. I really see great things under him in the next few years..... I'm really interested what he does when Pearce's contract is up

Well said. No bs from the coach to 'massage' the ego of highly paid players. Says it how it is and has poured the pressure on the players to show up.

Old dog

Juniors
Just a thought but if we have 3 players to fill two positions plus bench how do they rate.
Firstly Mann, playing well at 6 but can fill 9 or 14
Secondly Randall can play 6, 9 or 14 but is generally regarded as a 9
Crosslands, novice, lacking experience but basically a half 6 over 7
So how best used despite coaches input in presser.
Best of three, experience etc is Mann at 6, so start him
Next is Randall at 9, Mann may be better but he is best 6, Crossland is not a 9, has he even played there.
That leaves Crosslands, he ain’t a 9, unlikely to play 7, Pearce, so he is ideal 14.
So that leaves us Mann 6 and Randall 9 with Crossland to fill in at 6 when Mann is required to relieve Randall at 9 or if injury to Randall or Mann then Crossland is 6 and Mann or Randall are 9
The player most likely to develop is Crossland, age and lack of experience, so it will not hurt, especially a game most expect to lose, to give him opportunity.
Barring any further injuries/problems I see no reason why they can’t share the load, say Mann 60-80 mins, Randall 40-60 mins and Crossland 40-60.
No matter how the result ends I will be happy if above works out close so we can see how we are developing, it is during adversity that some players develop.

Zoidberg

First Grade
Going off what AOB has said I’m expecting the guys to play well, but will it be good enough? Hopeful but not very confident.

Yosh

Coach
Ese’ese doesn’t surprise me but I thought Moga has been strong in his 2 games since coming back into the team. Fitz is another obvious one who should be looking over his shoulder imo.

Ftizy should definitely be looking over his shoulder BUT when Obi looks over his, Fitzy's dad is giving him the stink eye.

Silent Knight

First Grade
Ftizy should definitely be looking over his shoulder BUT when Obi looks over his, Fitzy's dad is giving him the stink eye.

Our sponsors should have zero influence on team selection. It would be the height of unprofessionalism if team selections were based on keeping Daddy happy.

I’m not nervous about this game tomorrow. It will be a win regardless of the result. Win and we stay inside the 8 for another week. Lose, and some entitled egos will get shattered because Obi’s not going to put up with their sh*t for much longer. The recruitment of Clint Zammit should be a warning shot for some of our incumbents.

Old dog

Juniors
Kidding yourself if you think a loss will mean players dropped for poor performance. The only likely changes will be if Moga or Ese’ese perform poorly to be replaced by Shibs and King. We have no real options otherwise due to injuries until Dan, Sione and Jones make it back then we might see pressure on Fitz, the rest of the team are playing well, best options or they are so high profile (paid a lot) that they will remain.
Can you imagine, big bad loss with Ponga, Pearce, and Klemmer playing poor/badly and then being dropped.

Latest posts