What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Toby Issue

DJDL

Bench
I'm with Frenzy on this one.

I have as much man-love for Toby as the next guy, but have noticed lately he is very one dimensional and, as a result, easy to pick off. Yes he gets metres, but he doesn't put any stress on the defensive line. As Frenzy noted, Woods sucks defenders in from everywhere, which makes space out wide for SJ and the backs to do their thing.

The other thing I've noticed recently is Toby's habit of screaming up out of the line, missing the tackle and a long-range break ensuing. 2-3 tackles later - try time.

It happened twice against the Donks.

I love his enthusiasm and what he brings to the side, but he needs to temper it a little and he also needs to add a few more strings to his bow other than just running hard and straight at the line.

Craigshark

First Grade
He might be under instructions to do just what he is doing. What he is doing he is doing well. Who knows, maybe he can offload but Morris has told him just to concentrate on running hard and straight. It was only his 11th game afterall. I seem to remember in that video at half time on the gold coast Morris saying he doesn’t want to see any hero offload plays. Big fella probably just following instructions and following them well imo.

Weaponhead

Coach
As a rookie, he is doing a very good job of adding punch in the go forward. Can he develop subtlety in his game? Absolutely. Will it make him more effective? Yes. Is he doing the job for the team? Certainly.

Adding a little footwork and a short pass will help him lessen the gang tackling he gets.

Toby and Woods are different players with different approaches. Woods is a veteran who knows the power game isn't his go. He uses body positioning, footwork, passing to create a little doubt in the defenders to lessen the gang tackle, allowing him to stand, look for an offload, quick ptb or post contact yards. Toby gets lower and seeks to win contact.

I'm with Frenzy on this one.

I have as much man-love for Toby as the next guy, but have noticed lately he is very one dimensional and, as a result, easy to pick off. Yes he gets metres, but he doesn't put any stress on the defensive line. As Frenzy noted, Woods sucks defenders in from everywhere, which makes space out wide for SJ and the backs to do their thing.

The other thing I've noticed recently is Toby's habit of screaming up out of the line, missing the tackle and a long-range break ensuing. 2-3 tackles later - try time.

It happened twice against the Donks.

I love his enthusiasm and what he brings to the side, but he needs to temper it a little and he also needs to add a few more strings to his bow other than just running hard and straight at the line.

Toby doesn’t put stress on the defensive line and suck in defenders?

So when I see he ran for over 200metres last game and 2nd to only Hamlin Uele in post contact metres and I see 3 defenders hanging off him I’m seeing things?

Ok...

So when Woods lazily sticks his arm out to make a tackle because he’s beaten for lateral movement on the goal line and let’s the other team score that’s ok?

And when Woods does the passive slow jog back into the defensive line and then doesn’t move up with the rest of the team that’s ok?

Let me tell you if we did a poll in this forum and asked everyone who they would rather have in the team either Toby Rudolf or Aaron Woods I’d bet the latter wouldn’t be leading the poll.

ghoti

Bench
Toby doesn’t put stress on the defensive line and suck in defenders?

So when I see he ran for over 200metres last game and 2nd to only Hamlin Uele in post contact metres and I see 3 defenders hanging off him I’m seeing things?

e poll.

I'm kinda halfway between these two arguments. Rudolph is doing well with some massive runs, but even in these situations with three defenders dragging etc, there's no threat of a second phase from him. Agree above thread that he's been coached to look and run straight, and a large part is due to there being little support around him for these runs..but he could change games with an offload in him.

I like Morris's conservative coaching with some of these young guys, things like having Trindall get used to his debut as a passenger, leaving kicking to SJ etc.. but there's also a window for you guys when they're not on radar. Rudolph will become more heavily marked, as will people like Brails and Kennedy.. hopefully they continue their development to stay ahead of the defense

Rudolph putting in is mad, and it's enough of a contribution to have us in the 8. For us to be Top 4 and a real threat next year we need these guys to go up a step, solidify their defence and add attacking threat in the form of an offload or other attacking dimensions. We're a season off that I think, but growing threats all through the squad is a good sign!

carinashark

First Grade
Woods , footwork..? If you call bum in and tiny ballet steps going backwards footwork. In another life time I attended the ballet and was impressed with the athletic effort by two huge men who carried a ballerina each on their shoulders. They didn’t have to do much ,just walk in unison onto the stage while the girls did their stuff up top. But then they walked the same way ,still with the girls up top, backwards still synced and didn’t miss a step. I heard later they were Balmain players.
What I really liked was the enthusiasm shown by Rudolph, Talakai, Hunt,Wilton, Uele and Newton. Didn’t worry them it was the fabulous Broncos in Brisbane they were up against.

chewsta

First Grade
After the game the other night Toby was interviewed by Gal, Sterlo, Freddy and Molan. They asked why he is starting from the bench and Toby's reply was that Bomber feels his enthusiasm is great for the team but it can let him down at times. Ie running out to smash someone and missing or overplaying his hand so he has been told to get out there make as many metres as he can and basically calm down a bit. So there you go. All questions answered by the man himself.

Seen him play for the Jets, he does posess a good offload and can ball play before the line too. He has clearly been told to use all his aggression and energy to just make metres and its working! No surprise we score more points than any other team, look at the roll on these blokes get going for SJ, Chad etc .

Toby is a weapon for the club good on and off the field. Great in front of the camera and a funny f**ker too.

R-15-3

Juniors
I’m happy the team as a whole has cut back the offloads!!
Look at our completions the last 6 weeks that’s why we are wining games not by making offloads!
We don’t have a problem making meters or scoring points all comes down to very low risk plays and great ball handling.
The 6 again rule has made it even more important to complete sets the rest takes care of itself.

Frenzy.

Immortal
When a player is making 70+ post contact metres a game with quick play the balls. In his rookie year who cares if he isn’t offloading.
The only issue Toby has is he hasn’t scored yet. So he is the only forward to have played 3 or more games that hasn’t scored.

44.58. That's his average PCMs, not 70+

Chimp

Juniors
This is one of the strangest threads I’ve ever read, I’m not sure if my sarcasm detector isn’t working - surely this isn’t a real thread.

A young bloke, in his debut season, played 12 games is having a real dig, making 200 plus meters, adding real value, work ethic and morale to the group, and you’ve got people putting sh*t on him.... They can claim they’re not, put it’s putting a negative slant on him and playing down his achievements and performances, for absolutely no reason.

Not true fans!