What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd12: Parra v Bulldogs GAME DAY thread (2/8/20)

hineyrulz

Post Whore
If Robinson and Bellamy are the only ones who can do it, then what makes you and your whingey mate think changing coach will prove different?
It probably won’t, but keeping the same coach for years on end and still the same problems won’t change a thing either.....

He has the team he wants, I think he deserves this year and next but if we are still not knocking on the door of a premiership I’d be looking to find someone who can.

chiefy1

Juniors
Must be hard when you have to replace a retired Australian rep with his Kiwi incumbent counterpart

Well we're talking about a future immortal here, not just any old playmaker lol. Retired rep. Lol. He would walk into any team in the past century and be the best at 37....

Eelementary

Post Whore
I think we show the signs of an inexperienced side.

Ferguson, RCG, Nathan Brown, etc. were all signed to provide some experience, and they have definitely helped.

But (and the following are not criticisms, but observations):

* our captain (one of my favourite players) has fewer than 150 First Grade games to his name

* Sivo has fewer than 50

* Dylan Brown has fewer than 50

* Mahoney has fewer than 50

* Niukore has fewer than 100

* Matterson (despite winning a Premiership, and playing City Origin) has fewer than 100

* Lane has fewer than 100 games

Our team is brimming with talent - on our day, we can beat anyone.

But we have a relatively inexperienced side, and it shows with our play, imo.

We will play Finals this year, and even if we bow out early, we will be better off for it; the experience that key players will have gotten would turn out to be invaluable.

84 Baby

Referee
It probably won’t, but keeping the same coach for years on end and still the same problems won’t change a thing either.....

He has the team he wants, I think he deserves this year and next but if we are still not knocking on the door of a premiership I’d be looking to find someone who can.
Then why whine about it now if you’re willing to give him until end of next year? Otherwise I agree with your timeframe, I just look at it across the timeframe rather than Freekout play by play. Dominating now is like tits on a bull, nice to feel and has some functionality but ultimately inconsequential. And whether the team is backing off intentionally or not is equally inconsequential

84 Baby

Referee
Well we're talking about a future immortal here, not just any old playmaker lol. Retired rep. Lol. He would walk into any team in the past century and be the best at 37....
Ok where do you think there’s a wider talent gap? Smith to Smith, or Moses to Field (or Taka as it was mid game)?

lucablight

First Grade

Ferguson, RCG, Nathan Brown, etc. were all signed to provide some experience, and they have definitely helped.

* our captain (one of my favourite players) has fewer than 150 First Grade games to his name

* Sivo has fewer than 50

* Matterson (despite winning a Premiership, and playing City Origin) has fewer than 100

We will play Finals this year, and even if we bow out early, we will be better off for it; the experience that key players will have gotten would turn out to be invaluable.
I actually think if we’re unsuccessful during the finals we will be worse off. We’ve sat in the top 4 for most of the season and there’s an expectation that we will be there at the endgame so if we don’t fulfil those expectations I think that would be incredibly deflating for the team. Look what happened after 2009. We are in a premiership window right now and have to take the opportunity while it’s there.

eel01s

Bench
I agree about taking the opportunity. The way the comp is most sides can't expect to make a GF each year. If you are a top four side you must have the goal and expectation to win the comp once the finals start.

Experience is invaluable, but everyone has a first final or GF if they get that far. What matters is form on the big stage and having the right mindset.

Although our squad is inexperienced we do have some knowledge of what it takes after the defeat by the Storm last year.

84 Baby

Referee
Our 1981 results included losses to non-finals teams Wests & Norths, wins against Panfas by 3 points & Dogs by 4 (both bottom 3 teams) and didn’t beat Moanly at all. Take those results any day if it means winning a premiership

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I actually think if we’re unsuccessful during the finals we will be worse off. We’ve sat in the top 4 for most of the season and there’s an expectation that we will be there at the endgame so if we don’t fulfil those expectations I think that would be incredibly deflating for the team. Look what happened after 2009. We are in a premiership window right now and have to take the opportunity while it’s there.

making top 4 and then the GF qualifier wouId be a successful year I reckon (of course winning wouId be better). That’s a pretty decent improvement from last year.

This squad is in a better place then the 2009 side. Still young with better of improvement and several forwards going into their peak years.

lucablight

First Grade
making top 4 and then the GF qualifier wouId be a successful year I reckon (of course winning wouId be better). That’s a pretty decent improvement from last year.

This squad is in a better place then the 2009 side. Still young with better of improvement and several forwards going into their peak years.
I would say that would be the minimum pass mark to call it a reasonable season. Anything less than that would be an underachievement considering the circumstances.

84 Baby

Referee
A failure for me is anything less than premiership, but from an external realistic view our minimum result should be 3rd week of finals regardless of who we play weeks 1 and 2, with a view to making grand final with a bit of luck and good play

Obscene Assassin

First Grade

* Sivo has fewer than 50

I reckon we also lack a bit of big game experience i.e finals, state of origin and rep games against Aus, NZ, England. If we can get 2-3 finals games under everyone's belts this year and hopefully we have 3-4 players picked for Origin, fingers crossed 2 from our spine. We'll definitely be a much better team overall.

p.s big games like the one against the roosters also boosts confidence and experience a little bit given the sustained high intensity of the match. And despite what the media keep saying I don't believe there's been another game played at that level this year

lucablight

First Grade
A failure for me is anything less than premiership, but from an external realistic view our minimum result should be 3rd week of finals regardless of who we play weeks 1 and 2, with a view to making grand final with a bit of luck and good play
I appreciate that it’s very difficult to win a premiership so I think it’s harsh to say not winning it this year is an abject failure. While I’d be disappointed I could accept losing to a Roosters, Storm and maybe Panthers side that played better on the day as long as we were competitive.

eels_fan

First Grade
Success for me this year is a top 4 finish and a week 3 finals appearance. Anything less and we’ve basically held our form line on 2019. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, but it’s not an improvement. Our team is superior to what it was in 2019 imo, so that should be the minimum goal. In saying that if we end up against the storm again in week 2 I’d probably take not getting flogged as an improvement...

Latest posts