What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will Cameron Smith play one season too long?

Will Cameron Smith play one season too long?

• Total voters

Fangs

Coach
He will retire, after Origin 2020. Doesn't want to go out to a chorus of boos like Slater.

'Hint hint' Cam...Greg is invited too.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/08/05/walters-origin-door-open-for-inglis-and-smith-to-come-back/

Kevin Walters says the door is still open for Maroons legends Greg Inglis and Cameron Smith to make a comeback to State of Origin in November in what could be a huge boost for Queensland.

Walters saw Inglis earlier this year and said the 33-year-old was in great shape and "ready to go".

"Greg is part of the Queensland family and is always welcome in camp. I know he is playing with Warrington next year and is a great pick-up for Warrington so he may be available for Queensland at the end of the year," Walters said.

GongPanther

Referee
'Hint hint' Cam...Greg is invited too.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/08/05/walters-origin-door-open-for-inglis-and-smith-to-come-back/

Kevin Walters says the door is still open for Maroons legends Greg Inglis and Cameron Smith to make a comeback to State of Origin in November in what could be a huge boost for Queensland.

Walters saw Inglis earlier this year and said the 33-year-old was in great shape and "ready to go".

"Greg is part of the Queensland family and is always welcome in camp. I know he is playing with Warrington next year and is a great pick-up for Warrington so he may be available for Queensland at the end of the year," Walters said.
Not a good time to be asking Smith and co back to SOO when the three Qld clubs are not faring so well. There is always the adage that put a player in a Qld jersey, and they'll play out of their skin. But this year will be an exception.

redVinme

Juniors
Not a good time to be asking Smith and co back to SOO when the three Qld clubs are not faring so well. There is always the adage that put a player in a Qld jersey, and they'll play out of their skin. But this year will be an exception.

I'd much prefer nsw to win with Smith and Inglis playing. The lead up would be barf worthy but the tears would be worth it.

blue bags

First Grade
Melbourne Storm reportedly want Cameron Smith to decide on his NRL future this week.

The Sunday Telegraph reported that Melbourne was growing anxious about its difficult roster situation for next season and felt that Smith had been given long enough to decide whether he would retire or play on.

Smith, 37, assured the Storm that he would not drag-out his decision but the end of this season is nearing, with no answer as yet.

Melbourne have the headache of what to do with outstanding young hookers Brandon Smith and Harry Grant, even without the possible presence of Cameron Smith.

Grant has starred while on loan for Wests Tigers, possibly trumping the claims of Brandon Smith to inherit Cameron Smith's Storm No.9 jersey; despite the New Zealand Test hooker feeling he has first dibs on the position.

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2Fc93a826f-a9e5-4343-9f68-81f6a186cd71

Melbourne Storm captain Cameron Smith. (Getty)
The Telegraph reported that Storm chairman Matt Tripp would meet with Smith and his agent, Isaac Moses, this week.

There has been a push for Smith to have a swansong season with the struggling Brisbane Broncos or Gold Coast Titans, though the Telegraph - citing "those closest to the former Kangaroos and Maroons skipper" - tipped him to retire.
https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/camero...his-week/670f34b9-2898-48f4-805a-3d9e6e362ddd

Classic nepotism. Just playing on until his son can take the #9
Tbf, the wankers a dead set machine though. Hard to admit because there's very few players I've hated more over the past 30 years.
Honorable mentions to Hodges and Hopoate the elder.

He’s the modern day Wally Lewis. But funny how when I used to hate them, i changed my tune in their later playing years, and absolutely admire(d) them both.

Smith is by far and away the best player all round I’ve ever seen play the game. Got nothing but respect for him.