What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 13 vs Knights @ McDonald Jones Stadium

Who will win? Round 13: Knights v Wests Tigers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WA Tiger

Bench
Nope that’s an attitude thing. The coach doesn’t make tackles or throw passes .
I’ve never subscribed to that theory..The coach creates the attitude to make the team want to tackle for him and play for him.He plots the win with strategies, what to do and not to do, as a team and individuals so they are clear! when they run out.

Of course when teams are winning then the coach gets massive praise/ credit- for the players doing the right thing and having the right attitude?

I think the players are as confused as the coach...and I don’t think Madge losing his temper has helped much either

Last edited:

Pezz70

Juniors
I’ve never subscribed to that theory..The coach creates the attitude to make the team want to tackle for him and play for him.He plots the win with strategies what to do and not to do as a team and individuals so they are clear!when they run out.

Of course when teams are winning then the coach gets massive praise/ credit for the players doing the right thing and having the right attitude?

I think the players are as confused as the coach...and I don’t think Madge losing his temper has helped much either

These blokes are playing at the highest level if they can’t motivate themselves they shouldn’t be there, although I do agree there is an element of man management in terms of taking away or
Manipulating players environments so that they only have to worry about playing footy. Bellamy, Bennett, Robinson all have significant skill in this regard. In terms of doing it for the coach the mentality should be for yourself and your team.

Madges record is pretty bloody good. He drives the boys hard, no doubt but he has won premierships both here and in the UK, his credibility as a coach can’t really be questioned.

WA Tiger

Bench
These blokes are playing at the highest level if they can’t motivate themselves they shouldn’t be there, although I do agree there is an element of man management in terms of taking away or
Manipulating players environments so that they only have to worry about playing footy. Bellamy, Bennett, Robinson all have significant skill in this regard. In terms of doing it for the coach the mentality should be for yourself and your team.

Madges record is pretty bloody good. He drives the boys hard, no doubt but he has won premierships both here and in the UK, his credibility as a coach can’t really be questioned.
You obviously know more about league than me Pezz seriously and I doubt we will agree on much ever. That’s ok but I won’t budge on the importance of the coach creating the motivation and clarity etc for the players when they run out, or why even worry about whose the coach ..once the respect for the coach disappears everything including motivation disappears ..I doubt Benji will be back next year..I think Madge is doing his head in..

Last edited:

stryker

First Grade
Such is my ambivalence and disgust at times with this squad, I clean forgot we had a game today.
44-4?
Congratulations to everyone involved. Another glorious chapter in this club’s legacy.

Tiger05

First Grade
I’ve never subscribed to that theory..The coach creates the attitude to make the team want to tackle for him and play for him.He plots the win with strategies what to do and not to do as a team and individuals so they are clear!when they run out.

Of course when teams are winning then the coach gets massive praise/ credit for the players doing the right thing and having the right attitude?

I reckon we need to keep Madge but it's going to take a long time to turn this team around. He is right in that you can turn it around quickly but you need the cattle.

You are though 100% correct. That was a dismal performance. We just had so many errors in our game. We were a mess and that is on the coach as well. The team didn't perform to their ability and that has to be on the coach.

Ned Kelly

Juniors
For years and years and years at the end of the season I have had hope for next season. We are a fair way of the end of the season but I see no hope of us finishing top 8 next year. I think we are stuck with some mega buck dud players next year as well. Then after so many years of failing who would want to join us\? So we pay big bucks for average players and dance the same dance all over again.
I think I am the most disappointed I have ever been in 50 years as a Wests supporter.

Fordy20

Juniors
Yea but the players that played today arnt that bad (apart from Brooks) ..Thats a coaching thing ..

I'm starting to come around to your way of thinking.

Look at how flat we are attacking the opposition line, whereas the Knights were deep af. Their depth allows them to spread the ball and get some momentum before the defence gets there, whereas when you are flat like we are, the defence just rushes up and shuts everything down. No one gets any momentum and nothing happens. Surely attacking shapes come back to coaching.

Take another look when we are coming out of our own half. Simple one out running most of the time. Players aren't running options, so the defence knows who to target and they slow the play the ball down and we don't put ourselves in position to make an attacking kick that might get a try or a repeat set. In defence as well, we don't seem to wrestling or slowing down the play the ball. The Knights just rolled up the park like they did against us in Round 2 and provided a platform for their backs to work off.

I know it's not Madge coughing up the ball early in the tackle count, but are players being coached to stand the way they do or are they just not doing what they are told?

stryker

First Grade
I reckon we need to keep Madge but it's going to take a long time to turn this team around. He is right in that you can turn it around quickly but you need the cattle.
I thought we weren’t far away...I asked you a month back far away from what?
The answer you are looking for is the spoon.

Fordy20

Juniors
I thought we weren’t far away...I asked you a month back far away from what?
The answer you are looking for is the spoon.

When it comes to the spoon, our destiny in our hands. We need to win next week and at least one more at make sure we put it beyond doubt.

Some comments from tonight.
It would appear that Newcastle are the new Raiders when it comes to playing the Tigers.

Doueihi. Is not a 1st grade fullback, is he a 5/8 though because they won’t give him the flick after 1 season.
Nofoaluma. He tries With ball in hand, what 1st grade coach has improved his defence or his positional play when in defence? Question to forwards, who lets a winger take the 1st hit up after a kickoff, at least DN ran hard when he did.
Talau. I’ll defend him, it was his 1st game in the centre’s, he tried.
Kepaoa. As above, would anyone prefer Jennings?
Brooks. It’s all been said.
Marshall. As above.

Mybe. I actually thought Mybe went ok in the 9, his service from dummy half was better than a Reynolds or Taylor offers so I’m sure he will play there again.
Aloiai. Is not a gun, he offers nothing as a starting prop.
Mikaele. Offers less than Aloiai.
Lawrence. Tries but his best days are well and truly past him.

We actually need some big, strong, tough Polynesians, hopefully Blore and Utoikamanu come good.

Last edited:
I don’t know why we even bothered to turn up.

Disgraceful, cowardly, wholesale sackings required.

Madge can go too if this is growth.

This game was a filthy indelible stain on the jersey.

Blow it all up.

Changing avatar in protest until we play well.

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade
I'm starting to come around to your way of thinking.

Look at how flat we are attacking the opposition line, whereas the Knights were deep af. Their depth allows them to spread the ball and get some momentum before the defence gets there, whereas when you are flat like we are, the defence just rushes up and shuts everything down. No one gets any momentum and nothing happens. Surely attacking shapes come back to coaching.

Take another look when we are coming out of our own half. Simple one out running most of the time. Players aren't running options, so the defence knows who to target and they slow the play the ball down and we don't put ourselves in position to make an attacking kick that might get a try or a repeat set. In defence as well, we don't seem to wrestling or slowing down the play the ball. The Knights just rolled up the park like they did against us in Round 2 and provided a platform for their backs to work off.

I know it's not Madge coughing up the ball early in the tackle count, but are players being coached to stand the way they do or are they just not doing what they are told?

This is all poor right. You have to threaten when you have the ball. We don't have any attack. That has to improve. We are always going to lose playing defensive footy when you have the ball. This is coaching.

I'm still a fan of Madge. We've had too many coaches who have bought poorly and that is screwing us over now.

WA Tiger

Bench
I just hope the chairman is an action man and not a she’ll be right, let’s see how it turns out kind of guy. I know piss weak Pascoe is the latter from his time with Taylor as coach....Hook is right there and keen for a coaching position ..Ive never seen him come close to losing his cool..He’s a tough coach but not Madge over the top tough (is my impression)

PS Watch Gould and Brown go and wreck the warriors...Gould can’t work with anybody and Brown being a Leo will want all the control...

And what’s a career coach. God I hate that phrase...Brown can’t coach..

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
Benji is cactus mate, and Walters is 26 if he was a good NRL player he wouldn’t be playing at the Tigers. They are most definitely not the beginning of a competitive side. We’ve got real dramas there. You might give Reynolds and Walters a go for the rest of the season, but they’re not the answer either.
No but Brooks is less of an answer than all of them, right?

Last edited:

axl rose

Bench
For years and years and years at the end of the season I have had hope for next season. We are a fair way of the end of the season but I see no hope of us finishing top 8 next year. I think we are stuck with some mega buck dud players next year as well. Then after so many years of failing who would want to join us\? So we pay big bucks for average players and dance the same dance all over again.
I think I am the most disappointed I have ever been in 50 years as a Wests supporter.
Raiders rebuilt their side with a discard fullback and an unknown pom at hooker. So there is hope for us right..

Raiders rebuilt their side with a discard fullback and an unknown pom at hooker. So there is hope for us right..

I’m waiting for first contact with an alien being who can see the future in a time machine.

With its 8 heads and 23 arms, holding a sea urchin and Icee slushy machine, it will advise us that from next year, we will win 19 Grand Finals in a row.

Cameron Smith captains us for the first 4 years and then coaches is for the next 15.

stryker

First Grade
I don’t know why we even bothered to turn up.

Disgraceful, cowardly, wholesale sackings required.

Madge can go too if this is growth.

This game was a filthy indelible stain on the jersey.

Blow it all up.

Changing avatar in protest until we play well.
Lol you’ve changed your tune.