What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

getsmarty

Immortal
Elliott, De Belin and a dark horse from overseas headline Brown’s Warriors hit list
Warriors
99893e3d2763d9a28f50d4b1122f21ac

Jack de Belin, Adam Elliott and Oliver Gildart are all on the Warriors' wishlist.Source: FOX SPORTS
He’s only had the Warriors coaching job a number of days, but already Nathan Brown has started drawing up a hit list of potential targets.

The Warriors have a host of stars coming off contract but are preparing for some of them to move on to pastures new.

Blake Green was the first to leave, switching to Newcastle this week after the club had indicated they wanted to test their long-term halves pairing of Kodi Nikorima and Channel Harris-Tevita.

According to a Daily Telegraph report, Brown has five names he is currently targeting.

Bulldogs back-rower Adam Elliott, Wigan centre Oliver Gildart, Parramatta prop Kane Evans, Dragons centre Euan Aitken and his teammate, Jack de Belin.

Australia coach and Gold Coast Titans recruitment chief Mal Meninga said he liked what he saw from the players Brown was targeting.

“Adam Elliott is a great player,” Meninga said on Fox League’s Super Saturday coverage. “We don't know where Jack de Belin is going to be.

“Euan Aitken would be a great pick-up, he’s starting to find his feet in the centres with the Dragons.

“Oliver Gildart is an English international, he’s a bit on the small side, you need big outside backs in the modern era.

“He’s very quick and got great skill.

Michael Ennis, who has seen first hand the benefits Canberra have yielded from buying English talent said Gildart could be a good fit for the Warriors.

“He (Brown) has always got his eyes over on the Super League,” said Ennis. “He’s a good player Gildart and he’s given an indication that he wants to come and test himself out in the NRL.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/66f911c47c70b18b6c124da53212261f

George Sancti

Juniors
There appears to be universal agreement that the Dragons have failed to appoint an experienced and competent head coach for the past decade, and that most of our problems have stemmed from this failure. Not only has team management and direction been poor but we are seen as a career killer to up and coming players from other clubs. As many on this forum have stated, this problem must be resolved before we can effectively address the other deficiencies.

In terms of the playing roster, the capability of our forwards is in decline, whilst I believe that our backs are showing improved ability in attack. Unless, a back of significantly greater ability than our current players becomes available, I would persevere with our current backs, bringing young players in as they develop (with the exception of trying to find a new home for Norman).

I terms of our forwards, we have relied on Vaughan to give us dominance over the opposition and he is now appearing to be continually exhausted and the worse for wear. Whilst Graham was approaching the end of his career, he actually took some pressure off Vaughan.

The Administration should make an immediate announcement on the current head coaching status and its intention for change. Whist this may have detrimental effects on the team’s performance for the remainder of this season, I see it as short term pain. The next step is to purchase at least two aggressive forwards. This may require paying towards the top of the market rate, however this is an area where we are most deficient.

getsmarty

Immortal
There appears to be universal agreement that the Dragons have failed to appoint an experienced and competent head coach for the past decade, and that most of our problems have stemmed from this failure. Not only has team management and direction been poor but we are seen as a career killer to up and coming players from other clubs. As many on this forum have stated, this problem must be resolved before we can effectively address the other deficiencies.

In terms of the playing roster, the capability of our forwards is in decline, whilst I believe that our backs are showing improved ability in attack. Unless, a back of significantly greater ability than our current players becomes available, I would persevere with our current backs, bringing young players in as they develop (with the exception of trying to find a new home for Norman).

I terms of our forwards, we have relied on Vaughan to give us dominance over the opposition and he is now appearing to be continually exhausted and the worse for wear. Whilst Graham was approaching the end of his career, he actually took some pressure off Vaughan.

The Administration should make an immediate announcement on the current head coaching status and its intention for change. Whist this may have detrimental effects on the team’s performance for the remainder of this season, I see it as short term pain. The next step is to purchase at least two aggressive forwards. This may require paying towards the top of the market rate, however this is an area where we are most deficient.

The only detriment will be that they will improve and current coach will look poor.

blacksafake

First Grade
Under a new coach with better structures I’m happy to keep some of the players who cop it on here to see if they’re going to improve.
Players like Hunt, Clune, Dufty, Rav 4, JP, Ford, Fui, Host.
It goes without saying we keep Zac, McInnes, Vaughan, Kerr.
A few astute signings alongside the juniors coming through & hopefully we’re back in the game.

possm

Coach

I feel the Board has already determined that Flanagan will be our next head coach. Now they ware waiting for a decision from the NRL with regards to the possible lifting of Flanagan's suspension (to end 1 Nov 202) this allowing our new coach to set our roster and training program in the off-season. Once the NRL makes their decision, an announcement will be made as to who will be coach; Shelphard for 1 year or Flanagan as of 1 November 2020.

Fortunately, both candidates are within our club as assistants. So I can see no reason why both should not begin to list the players they want from within the club and from outside the club and get our CEO to task Millward with retention/extension/recruitment of these players.

I believe the following players will not be in our squad for 2021:
Saab, Aitken, Lafai, Norman, Hunt, Sailor, Vaughan, and De Belin.

I'd say that (if they decide to stay), the following players will take a pay cut and start in reserve grade; K Sims, Host, Merrin, and Lawrie. Some others still under contract will mostly play reserve grade in 2021.

So our top 17 consisting of a mix of current first grade players, juniiors, and players newly recruited is likely to be:

1. Ramsey
2. Pereira / Schiller
3. Lomax
4. Williame / Feagai
5. Ravalawa / Feagai
6. Dufty
7. Clune
8. New player
9. Brittain - if Hunt moves on
10. New player - or Vaughan if he stays
11. T Sims
12. New player - to replace Frizell
13. McInnes

14. Kerr
15. Blacker
16. Ford
17. Fuimaono

Plenty of work to be done in the off-season by our new coaching staff. Some of the above players will need to step up to NRL level. the 3 new forwards recruited must be of marquee standard.

Adolf_Spritzer

Juniors
I feel the Board has already determined that Flanagan will be our next head coach. Now they ware waiting for a decision from the NRL with regards to the possible lifting of Flanagan's suspension (to end 1 Nov 202) this allowing our new coach to set our roster and training program in the off-season. Once the NRL makes their decision, an announcement will be made as to who will be coach; Shelphard for 1 year or Flanagan as of 1 November 2020.

Fortunately, both candidates are within our club as assistants. So I can see no reason why both should not begin to list the players they want from within the club and from outside the club and get our CEO to task Millward with retention/extension/recruitment of these players.

I believe the following players will not be in our squad for 2021:
Saab, Aitken, Lafai, Norman, Hunt, Sailor, Vaughan, and De Belin.

I'd say that (if they decide to stay), the following players will take a pay cut and start in reserve grade; K Sims, Host, Merrin, and Lawrie. Some others still under contract will mostly play reserve grade in 2021.

So our top 17 consisting of a mix of current first grade players, juniiors, and players newly recruited is likely to be:

1. Ramsey
2. Pereira / Schiller
3. Lomax
4. Williame / Feagai
5. Ravalawa / Feagai
6. Dufty
7. Clune
8. New player
9. Brittain - if Hunt moves on
10. New player - or Vaughan if he stays
11. T Sims
12. New player - to replace Frizell
13. McInnes

14. Kerr
15. Blacker
16. Ford
17. Fuimaono

Plenty of work to be done in the off-season by our new coaching staff. Some of the above players will need to step up to NRL level. the 3 new forwards recruited must be of marquee standard.

With the players you’ve mentioned potentially moved on that’s close to 4 mil of the cap by my rough ( and I do mean rough) estimate. Each one of those forwards would want to be ‘marquee’ in quality.

My biggest issue with the squad you’ve mentioned is the lack of experience in it, especially in the spine. It’s almost a reverse Brisbane in that we’d have a bucketload (backs, admittedly untested at top level) of juniors that would struggle without a few old hardnuts around, and I’m just not sure of the quality going around currently

possm

Coach
With the players you’ve mentioned potentially moved on that’s close to 4 mil of the cap by my rough ( and I do mean rough) estimate. Each one of those forwards would want to be ‘marquee’ in quality.

My biggest issue with the squad you’ve mentioned is the lack of experience in it, especially in the spine. It’s almost a reverse Brisbane in that we’d have a bucketload (backs, admittedly untested at top level) of juniors that would struggle without a few old hardnuts around, and I’m just not sure of the quality going around currently
Thanks for your comments they are appreciated. It would be great to get an alternative from you.

Old Timer

Coach
Our side has that many holes in it it will take at least 2 years to sort it out and that can only happen if we sign a reputable and well respected coach who can attract players.

It is long proven at this time that we can only attract "so called top end" players by paying "overs" and even then their contribution has been less than favourable as far as results are concerned.

I am amazed that the likes of Williame & Fuimaono still figure in peoples team lists as we move forward. Neither were "marquis" signings or signings that w had to compete with other clubs to secure them.

Williame & Fuimaono are exactly the types of signings that have geniused the progress of our youth and should therefore be dispensed with.

If people are honest they provide nothing that would suggest they are the difference between top 8 or top 4 or essential to wing the comp.

What is it that that type of player brings to the 1st grade team that a promising junior does not?

They're chaff at best and even playing them in CC means that we block the path of decent young talent that needs key game time to get them ready for 1st grade. By securing a decent coach we should be ab;e to formulate a proper pathway that ensures that our club is capable of fielding 18, 19 or 20 year old's to blood them as is the case with the best clubs in the comp where there is a plethoras of young guys making their way and are not held back due to reliance on or preference for journeymen.

possm

Coach
Our side has that many holes in it it will take at least 2 years to sort it out and that can only happen if we sign a reputable and well respected coach who can attract players.

It is long proven at this time that we can only attract "so called top end" players by paying "overs" and even then their contribution has been less than favourable as far as results are concerned.

I am amazed that the likes of Williame & Fuimaono still figure in peoples team lists as we move forward. Neither were "marquis" signings or signings that w had to compete with other clubs to secure them.

Williame & Fuimaono are exactly the types of signings that have geniused the progress of our youth and should therefore be dispensed with.

If people are honest they provide nothing that would suggest they are the difference between top 8 or top 4 or essential to wing the comp.

What is it that that type of player brings to the 1st grade team that a promising junior does not?

They're chaff at best and even playing them in CC means that we block the path of decent young talent that needs key game time to get them ready for 1st grade. By securing a decent coach we should be ab;e to formulate a proper pathway that ensures that our club is capable of fielding 18, 19 or 20 year old's to blood them as is the case with the best clubs in the comp where there is a plethoras of young guys making their way and are not held back due to reliance on or preference for journeymen.
Only the Roosters can fit 17 champion players under their cap.

The reason I selected both of these players in my 17 is because they are capable first graders that do not cost the earth. They are holding spots in the 17 until a better player, (from within the club or recurted from outside the club) is identified and selected.

The way the salary cap is structured, each club can only use funds allocated by the NRL to pay the salary of players. The fact is that there is a need to mix marquee players with lower cost players to stay under the cap.

Old Timer

Coach
Only the Roosters can fit 17 champion players under their cap.

The reason I selected both of these players in my 17 is because they are capable first graders that do not cost the earth. They are holding spots in the 17 until a better player, (from within the club or recurted from outside the club) is identified and selected.

The way the salary cap is structured, each club can only use funds allocated by the NRL to pay the salary of players. The fact is that there is a need to mix marquee players with lower cost players to stay under the cap.
Possm
Send me the highlights of these guys playing in the big red v

Ffs there aren’t any and never will be

You like others have often asked why don’t our juniors get a crack at NRL well the reason is the likes of Williame & Fuimaono.

possm

Coach
Possm

You like others have often asked why don’t our juniors get a crack at NRL well the reason is the likes of Williame & Fuimaono.
If you picked a 17 with current first-grade highlights that were good to sensational, you would find yourself without any marquee players and most probably over the salary cap; unless of course if you are the Roosters.

St Tangles

Bench

Same can be said of Periera

matPORTS

Juniors
Not a fan of letting anyone go if it's going to mess up our salary cap.

Re-Sign (of those off contract this year):

de Belin (for purposes of this exercise he gets off his legal proceedings end of this month)
Host
Sailor
Ellis
Brittain

Target from outside the club:

Alex Johnston
Christian Welch

Squad based on all of this:

COACH: Shane Flanagan (JDB getting off in this exercise so why can't Flanno)

The following would be my starting 13, Round 1 2021:

1. Dufty*
2. Johnston
3. Z Lomax
4. Feagai (Centre Feagai)
5. Ravalawa*
6. Sailor
7. Clune
8. de Belin
9. Hunt*
10. Vaughan*
11. T Sims*
12. Welch
13. McInnes

Spots 14-21... make your bench spots up out of the following with the rest leading the way in reggies:

14. Kerr
15. Host*
16. Lawrie*
17. Ford
18. Fuimaono*
19. Blacker
20. Ellis*
21. Brittain*

Extended squad:

22. Sullivan
23. Ramsey
24. Williame*
25. Feagai (Winger Feagai)

Deadwood Category:

26. Norman*
27. Merrin*
28. K Sims*
29. Saab*
30. Pereira*

Top of the Development Squad:
- Schiller
- H Lomax

* = ON NOTICE (feel free to add if I've missed someone or subtract if I'm being too harsh)

Basically:

1. Install a new coach + recruitment/retention/pathways manager.

2. Re-sign those needed (and worthy).

3. Focus on the astute signings from outside the club (Johnston & Welch).

3. The above squad, while still plenty of players on massive overs, could easily play under the cap in 2021 (given that we are owed plenty seeing Frizell, Graham and Lafai have already moved on not to mention Aitken also to come off the books in this scenario). Any extra money left over dangle as a carrot for upgrades to anyone deserving (McInnes for example).

4. Deadwood category are in NSW Cup or Illawarra League. These players are not to go anywhere if we have to pay anything for the pleasure (especially Saab).

5. Makes things interesting in 2021 and also for 2022 - plenty of cap space available if we can eventually force the release of some of the deadwood, and those on notice will have to perform if they want to continue playing here or be attractive to other clubs.

... but again, we will only be able to pull this off with a decent coach / man manager in charge.

The above 'Top 25' would allow for a period of 'soul searching' and 're-finding our identity'. It's going to take time (and I'm certainly not hoping for the next Tedesco or David Fifita out of anyone coming through the juniors or who we may sign from outside), but if we are any hope of being competitive at the pointy end of the comp in the 2022-2024 window, this is where things will start.

Last edited:

denis preston

First Grade
Not a fan of letting anyone go if it's going to mess up our salary cap.

Re-Sign (of those off contract this year):

de Belin (for purposes of this exercise he gets off his legal proceedings end of this month)
Host
Sailor
Ellis
Brittain

Target from outside the club:

Alex Johnston
Christian Welch

Squad based on all of this:

COACH: Shane Flanagan (JDB getting off in this exercise so why can't Flanno)

The following would be my starting 13, Round 1 2021:

1. Dufty*
2. Johnston
3. Z Lomax
4. Feagai (Centre Feagai)
5. Ravalawa*
6. Sailor
7. Clune
8. de Belin
9. Hunt*
10. Vaughan*
11. T Sims*
12. Welch
13. McInnes

Spots 14-21... make your bench spots up out of the following with the rest leading the way in reggies:

14. Kerr
15. Host*
16. Lawrie*
17. Ford
18. Fuimaono*
19. Blacker
20. Ellis*
21. Brittain*

Extended squad:

22. Sullivan
23. Ramsey
24. Williame*
25. Feagai (Winger Feagai)

Deadwood Category:

26. Norman*
27. Merrin*
28. K Sims*
29. Saab*
30. Pereira*

Top of the Development Squad:
- Schiller
- H Lomax

* = ON NOTICE (feel free to add if I've missed someone or subtract if I'm being too harsh)

Basically:

1. Install a new coach + recruitment/retention/pathways manager.

2. Re-sign those needed (and worthy).

3. Focus on the astute signings from outside the club (Johnston & Welch).

3. The above squad, while still plenty of players on massive overs, could easily play under the cap in 2021 (given that we are owed plenty seeing Frizell, Graham and Lafai have already moved on not to mention Aitken also to come off the books in this scenario). Any extra money left over dangle as a carrot for upgrades to anyone deserving (McInnes for example).

4. Deadwood category are in NSW Cup or Illawarra League. These players are not to go anywhere if we have to pay anything for the pleasure (especially Saab).

5. Makes things interesting in 2021 and also for 2022 - plenty of cap space available if we can eventually force the release of some of the deadwood, and those on notice will have to perform if they want to continue playing here or be attractive to other clubs.

... but again, we will only be able to pull this off with a decent coach / man manager in charge.

The above 'Top 25' would allow for a period of 'soul searching' and 're-finding our identity'. It's going to take time (and I'm certainly not hoping for the next Tedesco or David Fifita out of anyone coming through the juniors or who we may sign from outside), but if we are any hope of being competitive at the pointy end of the comp in the 2022-2024 window, this is where things will start.

When you talk about deadwood , and Norman clearly fits into that category, theoretically can you drop him from Canterbury cup as well and play him in park football or Illawarra league ? Perhaps this could be the only thing that will resonate with him: Embarrassment , or would it be more embarrassing for the club to do this ?

True_Believer

Juniors
Possm

Who are they blocking?

Latest posts