What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ivan Cleary hit with $20k breach notice

typicalfan

Coach
Canberra challenged whether he passed it before he went out not whether the tackle was completed. If they felt it was tackle over why not challenge that?

It is the common sense part the refs lack more so then having no idea

It was only done by Ivan to take the focus off running 1st. It is a smart ploy to stay under the radar
No they definitely challenged the 2nd man. The commentary got it wrong, you could tell because the Raiders were clarifying that the second man got there before he went over the sideline, so a flop essentially.

SBD82

Coach
My memory is not the best, but I have a vague recollection of the panthers having a freaky run a few years back where they would be behind in games by the same margin and come back to win.

Was Cleary coaching the Panthers then?

soc123_au

Staff member
My memory is not the best, but I have a vague recollection of the panthers having a freaky run a few years back where they would be behind in games by the same margin and come back to win.

That was Hook's first year. We didnt start playing until 14 behind.

gerg

Juniors
Canberra challenged whether he passed it before he went out not whether the tackle was completed. If they felt it was tackle over why not challenge that?

It is the common sense part the refs lack more so then having no idea

It was only done by Ivan to take the focus off running 1st. It is a smart ploy to stay under the radar

Yeah I'm not sure exactly what the challenge was specifically for but it is no different to the referee asking the bunker to check grounding, for example. If the bunker sees a problem - other than the grounding - he is going to call it. Or he is going to be dropped for f**king up. It's really that simple.

It's absurd that Cleary & some fans (not you though) are crapping on like you blokes have been getting the rough end of the pineapple all year. You haven't. Like I said in the gameday thread. You've got a bloody good side and they're playing really well. STFU and win the comp and then you can carry on like dickheads. And if anything Ivan is drawing more attention to his side, he isn't very good at diversions if that is what he's attempting.

Pantherjim.

Referee
To be quite honest (even though it clearly is against the rules) I can’t see what’s wrong with a Senior Coach questioning the decision of a Referee.

Genuine question; are the coaches in AFL/Union/EPL/NFL allowed to question the decision of match/game officials during a press conference?

If so, what makes NRL referees such a protected species?

nick87

Coach
No they definitely challenged the 2nd man. The commentary got it wrong, you could tell because the Raiders were clarifying that the second man got there before he went over the sideline, so a flop essentially.

Also it doesnt matter. The challenge is the same as the bunker, they check everything. You dont have to challange a specific thing about the play (i would actually endorse that being the case), when you challenge they check the whole deal.

franklin2323

Immortal
Yeah I'm not sure exactly what the challenge was specifically for but it is no different to the referee asking the bunker to check grounding, for example. If the bunker sees a problem - other than the grounding - he is going to call it. Or he is going to be dropped for f**king up. It's really that simple.

It's absurd that Cleary & some fans (not you though) are crapping on like you blokes have been getting the rough end of the pineapple all year. You haven't. Like I said in the gameday thread. You've got a bloody good side and they're playing really well. STFU and win the comp and then you can carry on like dickheads. And if anything Ivan is drawing more attention to his side, he isn't very good at diversions if that is what he's attempting.

The ref said challenging the ball going out. Of course but if that is a try is there enough evidence to overrule?

Every team gets bad calls. Most of whom come down to no common sense then actual errors.

Is he though? We are 1st just broke the club record wins. Instead of talking up the team everyone is talking Ivan.

gerg

Juniors
The ref said challenging the ball going out. Of course but if that is a try is there enough evidence to overrule?

Every team gets bad calls. Most of whom come down to no common sense then actual errors.

Is he though? We are 1st just broke the club record wins. Instead of talking up the team everyone is talking Ivan.

He insinuated that arguably the no. 1 ref in the game was a cheating merkin. How do you think that really benefits your team? You will be refereed by him, in a big game. Is it really worth poking the bear in a game that doesn't really matter in the greater scheme of things, one which you won comfortably. IMO it's dumb.

The_Frog

First Grade
Talking about how good the Panthers or anyone else are playing is boring stuff. Media would rather talk about how bad the Broncos are going, or what someone said. They'll suspend half his fine, he'll say sorry but the point will have been made. Interesting to see if things are any different from now on.
He insinuated that arguably the no. 1 ref in the game was a cheating merkin. How do you think that really benefits your team? You will be refereed by him, in a big game.
You appear to be suggesting such an insinuation is 100% correct then?

ACTPanthers

Bench
Please don’t hold all of us Panthers fans accountable for the few weird ones... we’re not all like that. I promise.

franklin2323

Immortal
He insinuated that arguably the no. 1 ref in the game was a cheating merkin. How do you think that really benefits your team? You will be refereed by him, in a big game. Is it really worth poking the bear in a game that doesn't really matter in the greater scheme of things, one which you won comfortably. IMO it's dumb.

Coaches all do it and they all don't go bad. I remember Paul Green have a tantrum a few years ago. They made the GF from 8th..

The media will move on to some other minor issue before long

The_Frog

First Grade

Griffin was the coach then, he was sacked and it continued to happen under Cameron Ciraldo. We're talking 2017-18. Never came back from 24 down though. We were down 28-6 at half time against the Warriors on the back of 5 straight losses and came back to win that.

gerg

Juniors
Talking about how good the Panthers or anyone else are playing is boring stuff. Media would rather talk about how bad the Broncos are going, or what someone said. They'll suspend half his fine, he'll say sorry but the point will have been made. Interesting to see if things are any different from now on.

You appear to be suggesting such an insinuation is 100% correct then?

Yeah nah.

shear_joy9

Coach
Coaches all do it and they all don't go bad. I remember Paul Green have a tantrum a few years ago. They made the GF from 8th..

The media will move on to some other minor issue before long

By challenging the breach Ivan isn’t letting the media move on.

He’s obviously a real tight arse and the type of prick that would argue against paying a bill that’s rounded up 5c. Just admit you said the wrong the thing Ivan you clown.

Glen

Bench
Anyone arguing the toss on this is kidding themselves. The most obvious fine the second he said it.

soc123_au

Staff member
Anyone arguing the toss on this is kidding themselves. The most obvious fine the second he said it.
I think we all agree that the fine is deserved. I watched the press conference live & as soon as he said it I thought he is in some deep shit here.
That doesnt mean I dont agree with the sentiment about refs managing games. There is plenty of examples & most teams have been advantaged & disadvantaged at times. Souffs 2014 is a prime example.

no name

Coach
I’ve only just seen this thread, and this is probably been said, but the reporter who asked the question leading up to Cleary’s comments suckered him right in.
Cleary should be experienced enough to see what they were trying to do and steered clear.