What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd13: Parra v Sharks GAME DAY thread (9/8/20)

emjaycee

Coach
It's about effort. Ponga and Tedesco run the ball 20+ times nearly every week. Sivo has averaged fewer than 12 runs since round six, and he is trending downwards.
FFS, if you are going to compare Sivo to other players, can you at least do so against players who play in the same position as him?

T-Boon

Coach
Where’s @T-Boon? Random players dropped each week to keep everyone on their toes, yay or nay?

I wouldn't agree with "random players".
But I do agree with dropping under performing players for the reason of a boot up the arse even if they are still the best player for the position. Candidates would be:
Waqa, Fergo, Sivo, Lane, Mahoney. Those guys are probably the best options at their position but have been pretty ordinary for a month now.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
FFS, if you are going to compare Sivo to other players, can you at least do so against players who play in the same position as him?
Gronk was the one who compared him to a couple of fullbacks. I compared him to Ferguson.

But the comparison to fullbacks is fair anyway when discussing effort. One of the qualities that separates fullbacks from wingers is work rate, which is why you can't just put your best winger at fullback to increase his involvement. Fullbacks are fullbacks partially because they work hard.

In the case of Ferguson, he also works hard. The reason he's not a fullback is because he lacks the brains and skill. Sivo doesn't even work hard.

84 Baby

Referee
I wouldn't agree with "random players".
But I do agree with dropping under performing players for the reason of a boot up the arse even if they are still the best player for the position. Candidates would be:
Waqa, Fergo, Sivo, Lane, Mahoney. Those guys are probably the best options at their position but have been pretty ordinary for a month now.
What about this for the idea cave - random penalty calls to keep players on their toes? Things like intentional forward passes, voluntary tackles. Like one per team per game. Just to liven up the rules for a few weeks

Tooooks

Bench
Wtf is fergo offering as of this season? Like I’ve said, I wouldn’t mind one of them dropped just for a week to put the entire team on notice. As for taka, he was a standout last year as a winger. We’ll get exposed like a mfer against the storm in two weeks on current form. Maybe dropping one wouldn’t be a bad idea this week.

Generally he offers 150-200 running metres a week, usually the tough runs in our own red zone. If he was on the left wing he’d probably have ten tries.

T-Boon

Coach
What about this for the idea cave - random penalty calls to keep players on their toes? Things like intentional forward passes, voluntary tackles. Like one per team per game. Just to liven up the rules for a few weeks

Listen, just leave this stuff to me okay.
This is bad.

Gronk

Staff member

Love a plot twist. Lock it in.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Ferguson per game stats

2019 - 17 runs / 156 m / 3.1 TB / 76% tackle success

2020 - 18 runs / 166m / 2.8 TB / 83% tackle success.

yeah he hasn’t scored this year, but his work rate is as good last year
Whilst I agree, his runs dont appear to be as damaging to defenders to date. I also feel his leadership has not been as evident this season. He definitely started the season slow. I agree hes putting in though.

emjaycee

Coach
Gronk was the one who compared him to a couple of fullbacks. I compared him to Ferguson.

But the comparison to fullbacks is fair anyway when discussing effort. One of the qualities that separates fullbacks from wingers is work rate, which is why you can't just put your best winger at fullback to increase his involvement. Fullbacks are fullbacks partially because they work hard.

In the case of Ferguson, he also works hard. The reason he's not a fullback is because he lacks the brains and skill. Sivo doesn't even work hard.
Bullshit - you compared Sivo's workrate to fullbacks. Don't blame Gronk you slippery shouldered merkin. Own your own f**k ups.

84 Baby

Referee
Whilst I agree, his runs dont appear to be as damaging to defenders to date. I also feel his leadership has not been as evident this season. He definitely started the season slow. I agree hes putting in though.
He carved through Sharks twice on weekend. His runs don’t need to be damaging (nice when they are), they NEED to be metre makers so that RCG/Junior can get a run in that set, so that they’re runs can be damaging

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Bullshit - you compared Sivo's workrate to fullbacks. Don't blame Gronk you slippery shouldered merkin. Own your own f**k ups.
I'm starting to feel like Sivo's a liability. He might be our top tryscorer but he offers little else. It's amazing for the size of him. If you just looked at his stats you'd think it was Nathan Merritt. Today he made six hit ups for 35 metres. Last week it was six hit ups for 42 metres. Two tackle breaks in two weeks as well. Ferguson broke 7 tackles over the same period, with 175 metres just from hit ups.
I don't get the Sivo pile on. Seems that if he's not scoring a few a week and busting heads, then he's not trying.

Meanwhile Ponga or Teddy can have a wow game once a month and merkins do a little dance.