What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ivan Cleary hit with $20k breach notice

betcats

Referee
No they definitely challenged the 2nd man. The commentary got it wrong, you could tell because the Raiders were clarifying that the second man got there before he went over the sideline, so a flop essentially.

No they didnt. They challenged and said he passed it before he went out. The ref asked them to check the second man.

GongPanther

Referee
Ivan was pretty much on the mark with what he said. We see the same shit to turn momentum every week. Still deserves the fine for breaking the rules though. I reckon he can afford it.
I'm sure other coaches are privately nodding his reaction. Sure Ivan could have buttoned his lip, turned the other cheek, etc but I'm sure this had been coming for some time. It's not like he fronted up with steam venting out of his ears. Anyway, look forward to the word "managed" getting a healthy workout in LU for the rest of the season(s).

GongPanther

Referee
But you can't actually pass off the ground, even if you are moving - unless you're not held, which he was.

I thought that Sutton actually explained this on the field. Nathan was complaining about Rapanas flop which could have been a penalty or 6again. I remember when the 6again call came in it was up to the referees discretion whether a penalty would be awarded or a 6again and that is precisely what happened.

FMD are Panthers the new Roosters? Piss and moan after they win a game.
Well, someone had to make the thread, so what do you expect. After all, it is Piss and Moan Unlimited.

GongPanther

Referee
To be quite honest (even though it clearly is against the rules) I can’t see what’s wrong with a Senior Coach questioning the decision of a Referee.

Genuine question; are the coaches in AFL/Union/EPL/NFL allowed to question the decision of match/game officials during a press conference?

If so, what makes NRL referees such a protected species?
In the Storm V Cows in the 2017 GF, Cam Smith kicked a conversion from near the sideline, and the ref and the touchies ruled he got the goal. I got over $500 from the TAB from Pick the Score, so no complaints from me. :)

edabomb

First Grade
Wonder what Ivan thought of the Panthers being awarded a penalty coming off their line when under the pump in the first 10. From what I could see they were awarded that penalty because their player slipped over.

ACTPanthers

Bench
Wonder what Ivan thought of the Panthers being awarded a penalty coming off their line when under the pump in the first 10. From what I could see they were awarded that penalty because their player slipped over.
That's shit bait champ - Try harder

edabomb

First Grade
That's shit bait champ - Try harder

I actually don't disagree we may have been managed back into the game - happens all the time with the levelling up on penalty counts. My point is how would you know with some of the odd calls you get throughout a game. With that one I mentioned there didn't seem to be any significant contact with the head. Same thing happened earlier in the year when Brad Parker slipped up and knocked himself out and the Raiders got pinged.

The_Frog

First Grade
Was that the one where Croker got the square up on Naden? I expect he would have thought fair enough. Canberra got a penalty just before that when Naden caught Croker high.

I actually don't disagree we may have been managed back into the game - happens all the time with the levelling up on penalty counts.

Penalty counts are a blunt instrument, and they are monitored by the ref bosses who like them to be close. There are much much more elegant ways of doing it than penalty counts.

Last edited:

Chimp

Bench
Ivan’s issue is that by saying the Raiders were ‘managed’ back into it, that insinuates the ref wanted to artificially get the Raiders back in the contest - which deserves the fine.

If he’d said something along the lines of ‘I think the ref was conscious of a lop sided penalty count and How that might look, that might have impacted his decisions in the 2nd half, which subsequently gave the Raiders opportunity to get back in the game as they got momentum off lots of decisions going their way’, he’d have been given a little more slack, and would have been correct.

The refs do try and even up the counts IMO. I don’t believe they favoured the Raiders or tried to manage them back in the game though.

Big Pete

Referee
The one call that seemed to create a lot of confusion on the field was the penalty against Naden for knocking Whitehead's arm in the lead-up to the CNK try. What's the rule there? Penrith were upset that Wighton was allowed to get away with a similar instance early in the half, but in that case, Wighton was the marker and appeared to be square.

Can't players play at the arm of the dummy half if they're not square on the goal line?

I do think they need to reconsider set restarts in light of the Rapana flop on Mansour. The referee did nothing wrong in that instance, but that situation exposed a flaw in the system. I don't think anyone would have an issue if that was a kick for touch as opposed to a set restart.

gerg

Juniors
The one call that seemed to create a lot of confusion on the field was the penalty against Naden for knocking Whitehead's arm in the lead-up to the CNK try. What's the rule there? Penrith were upset that Wighton was allowed to get away with a similar instance early in the half, but in that case, Wighton was the marker and appeared to be square.

Can't players play at the arm of the dummy half if they're not square on the goal line?

I do think they need to reconsider set restarts in light of the Rapana flop on Mansour. The referee did nothing wrong in that instance, but that situation exposed a flaw in the system. I don't think anyone would have an issue if that was a kick for touch as opposed to a set restart.

I believe the rule is, if the dummy half steps out and engages the markers he is fair game. If the dummy half stays in position and is trying to pass the ball the markers can't strike at him or the ball. I think.

Big Pete

Referee
I believe the rule is, if the dummy half steps out and engages the markers he is fair game. If the dummy half stays in position and is trying to pass the ball the markers can't strike at him or the ball. I think.

My best guess is that Naden had his front foot past the centre of the ruck before Sutton called go.

However I couldn't make out if Sutton referred to that rule, it sounded like an entirely different interpretation.

The_Frog

First Grade
The ref could have given a penalty for unnecessary contact had he wished.

The_Frog

First Grade
My best guess is that Naden had his front foot past the centre of the ruck before Sutton called go.
I've just checked this. Naden had both his feet on the goal line. You don't have to stand behind the goal line. He was entitled to tackle the marker. This is probably why Annesley did not look at this incident, because there was no doubt the ref was at fault.

Big Pete

Referee
I've just checked this. Naden had both his feet on the goal line. You don't have to stand behind the goal line. He was entitled to tackle the marker.

This was right as Sutton called 'go' and it appears as if Naden had his foot there prior to the call judging by the long shot.

shear_joy9

Coach
I've just checked this. Naden had both his feet on the goal line. You don't have to stand behind the goal line. He was entitled to tackle the marker. This is probably why Annesley did not look at this incident, because there was no doubt the ref was at fault.

naden.png

been drinking the bath water again?

edit. Big Pete beat me to it

Genuine question; are the coaches in AFL/Union/EPL/NFL allowed to question the decision of match/game officials during a press conference?

In terms of the NFL, this article from ESPN in 2016 had the following pertinent part -

The NFL policy manual, distributed annually around the league, states: "Please note that public criticism by players or club employees of game officials or officiating is prohibited and is subject to fines and/or suspensions."

In October 2019, this article on NBC Sports showed that this was still in effect with the following relevant quote -

The memo made it clear that the NFL prohibits “[c]riticism of officiating which includes, but is not limited to, the following: Comments regarding the quality of officiating, individual calls or missed calls, the League’s officiating department, an officiating crew, or an individual game official; [a]ccusing game officials of acting with bias or in any way questioning the integrity of NFL game officials; or [p]osting negative or derogatory/demeaning content pertaining to officiating on social media.”

Same article also states -

“Violations of these policies will result in prompt disciplinary action by the League office, which may include fines of the club and/or individual who make such public comments,” the memo explains. “Egregious and inflammatory public comments could result in the suspension of the individual(s) making the comment.”

Canard

Immortal