What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 14 vs Bulldogs @ Bankwest Stadium

Who will win? Round 14: Wests Tigers v Bulldogs

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pezz70

Juniors
Star Wests Tigers centre Joey Leilua has taken personal leave just days before their must-win clash against the Bulldogs.

Leilua told Tigers officials of his decision on Wednesday. The club will confirm the news shortly.

Leilua - who returned from a hefty suspension against the Knights last Saturday - has since travelled back to Canberra.

He is now out of the club's biosecurity bubble and will have to quarantine for 14 days if he wants to play again this season.

The news comes as the Tigers cling to their slim finals hopes by a thread. They must beat the Bulldogs on Sunday to remain any hope of slipping into the top eight.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/jo...al-leave-from-the-tigers-20200813-p55lce.html

big blow.

Tigerm

First Grade
Star Wests Tigers centre Joey Leilua has taken personal leave just days before their must-win clash against the Bulldogs.

Leilua told Tigers officials of his decision on Wednesday. The club will confirm the news shortly.

Leilua - who returned from a hefty suspension against the Knights last Saturday - has since travelled back to Canberra.

He is now out of the club's biosecurity bubble and will have to quarantine for 14 days if he wants to play again this season.

The news comes as the Tigers cling to their slim finals hopes by a thread. They must beat the Bulldogs on Sunday to remain any hope of slipping into the top eight.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/jo...al-leave-from-the-tigers-20200813-p55lce.html
Bugger, hope all is going to be OK for him.

Das Hassler

Bench
Rather him out than on the field with his mind elsewhere. ...if it's family then you have to wonder about Luciano's focus as well

Tiger05

First Grade
I hope Talau and Kepaoa get another chance at center and wing rather than Lawrence going to the centers again

Yep - run with it. The season is over. Kepaoa ran the ball back well. He couldn't catch the footy but at our club he will get a lot more chances.

WA Tiger

Bench
He can’t do it now so why would he be able to do it as a trainer?
That’s not a real logical statement FR but you and Pezz want to make the most of the Benji bashing coz as per usual he will come back and put yous back in your box. He's used to taking the blame for the whole team and the coach’s failings ..And put that stat’s book away Pez it’s getting dog ears

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
Having said that I’m not saying we will win..Im thinking it’s a bit late in the season for the coach to be asking the team what is the best way forward ..In fact that question And that Madge wasn’t aware that a less intense approach always has a place is a concern ...can he do less intense ???
I’m seeing comedy from here on in.Or at least entertainment as long as I don’t take this season too seriously.

Last edited:

BrotherJim05

Bench
I'm not looking forward to Liddle breaking 15 more bones in this game, then management signing him to a 3 million dollar deal for 5 years

Tigerm

First Grade
I'm not looking forward to Liddle breaking 15 more bones in this game, then management signing him to a 3 million dollar deal for 5 years
You would have to think another major injury and both parties would agree to part ways, for his sake.

I hope he goes well, but I also hope we are not hanging our hopes on him.

WA Tiger

Bench
Benjis happy this week anyway coz Mary got the boot at long last though a year too late ...Mary and Madge both a year too late? ...I hope not ..

Last edited:
When it all comes down to it our roster is just not good enough, no mater what combinations are selected our team deficiencies get found out one week or another.Teams that have had this problem in the past, rectify it by cutting players and getting busy in the market place, unfortunately for WT, again we are not financially sound which seems to be a reoccurring problem that restricts our progression .

League WTF

Juniors
When it all comes down to it our roster is just not good enough, no mater what combinations are selected our team deficiencies get found out one week or another.Teams that have had this problem in the past, rectify it by cutting players and getting busy in the market place, unfortunately for WT, again we are not financially sound which seems to be a reoccurring problem that restricts our progression .

That’s the point. What’s done is done.

Instead of dwelling on it, shouldn’t we find ways to utilise what we’ve got? At the moment, we are not.

For example,

Reynolds - might be a better 5/8 and he’s actually played finals in that position a number of times.

Mbye - might be a better fullback or even halfback, and have also played in finals. Him and Reynolds connecting in the spine might have taken us to the finals.

Who knows...right? We haven’t even tried.

AD - might have connected really well with Benji in the halves or even Brooks. He’s not connecting with anyone at fullback since round 3.

We weren’t that far off against quality sides. Madge have changed their attitude and we were competing really well. A little improvement in our key positions could have made a huge difference.

But somehow, Madge wants to do the same thing with our spine and expect a different result? This is the disappointment for me so far. Not losing or missing top 8.

WA Tiger

Bench
I agree although I think a bigger problem is Madges inability to tap into the psyche of the players..Thats where the real power lies.Tapping into their will to win, natural talent and creativity. Getting the players to search deep within and be ready to kick that door down and go beyond what is comfortable and do whatever it takes

Screaming and shouting and non stop high intensity will only scratch the surface and in fact put a halt to all that...players having to face that non stop intensity during the week, before the game, and at half time is not going to access anyone’s A game..We can all relate to that..
The boys are playing less than they can. They are not lesser players
When players can reach that optimum level then you start seeing the impact of the group being more than the sum of the parts..At the moment it’s the opposite

Has anyone ever seen a player lose their skills/ creativity levels as much as Brooks for apparently no reason. ok we all acknowledge that he can’t own the team but at least last year he was in the big plays..This year nothing at all?

And then there’s team tactics or lack of, which from posts I’ve read, are putting us at a disadvantage

I think hope, encouraged by a couple of ticked boxes that are usually empty, can create a blind spot when judging Madge

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade
But somehow, Madge wants to do the same thing with our spine and expect a different result? This is the disappointment for me so far. Not losing or missing top 8.

I agree with most of your post but Madge has tried a bunch of different options. He has tried different combinations of Benji, Reynolds and Brooks. They've all been dropped. The reality is that we don't have the halves or spine at the moment to be a consistent team.

Mbye is a tough one. I reckon he is a fantastic squad player on the right dollars but we are paying him to be a star when he is like a decent utility player who should be on at best half of what he is being paid. The question is how do we use him to get the most value out of him.

Ideally we would get rid of Brooks, Mbye and Reynolds and replace them with lower paid but better players but I can't see it happening. I hope the coach can somehow get some value out of those guys. I think Mbye and Brooks can still come on. There was an article in the SMH yesterday about how McGregor wanted to get rid of Dufty and he is now their best player.

I can't though blame the coach. He has tried so many different options. Grant has had a couple of lower quality games but he has been fantastic over the course of the season. I figure at some point the players have to earn their pay packet.

Front-Rower

First Grade
That’s not a real logical statement FR but you and Pezz want to make the most of the Benji bashing coz as per usual he will come back and put yous back in your box. He's used to taking the blame for the whole team and the coach’s failings ..And put that stat’s book away Pez it’s getting dog ears

What’s he done in the last 9 years?

Vozzy

Juniors
Benji is on like minimum wage. When we score points it seems like it comes through him when we leak points it also comes through him. I think this should be his last year cos his age is having a liability on his defence due to the lack of line speed and reads which makes poor contact. It's just when you replace him with someone like Reynolds it's like for like and this is the same when we drop anyone the lack of reserve grade has made the depth just as bad as the starting team.

Tiger05

First Grade
Benji is on like minimum wage. When we score points it seems like it comes through him when we leak points it also comes through him. I think this should be his last year cos his age is having a liability on his defence due to the lack of line speed and reads which makes poor contact. It's just when you replace him with someone like Reynolds it's like for like and this is the same when we drop anyone the lack of reserve grade has made the depth just as bad as the starting team.

x 2.

Pezz70

Juniors
I’m Benji’s biggest fan but the writing is in the stats book. All good things must come to an end.

Latest posts