What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 14: V Gus's new BFF (the worriers)

maple_69

Bench
We did look a little short of our usual edge and I think the Warriors did a better job than most with their line speed. My take is we have gone into a few of these danger games with a simplified game plan aiming to just control the game and grind it out. I guess this is what top teams do.

Glad Dyl has a strong return, definitely added an extra threat. Shame Laurie didn’t get a run. I think we’ve looked best with Naden in the centres so. Sounds like To’o is back in R15 so I hope we can settle our backline then.

The Realist

Juniors
Probably a measure of how good his best is! But he did drop the ball (at least once that I can remember) and missed a few tackles as well as suffering a head knock.

His worst was giving away silly penalties. 2 Warriors tries were due to JFH and Martin giving away silly penalties - marching them up the field.

The Realist

Juniors
Cleary is over calling Luai way too often.

This, I particularly wanted to mention how Cleary did a poor job of managing the game in the 2nd half.

He appeared on the left too often and went straight back to the give it to Kikau plays were Kikau got smashed. Kikau must have dropped the ball at least 3 times in those instances. Crighton also got very little ball.

I also have absolutely no idea why we never shaped for the field goal at all in the last 10 minutes- even if we didn't intend to kick one - you can often stagger and split a defensive line that has a few defenders chasing after the kickers.

That was an ugly win. Yes the Warriors really turned up, yes the weather was bad but the team collectively lost their minds in the 2nd half and we pretty much did the same against the Raiders last week so this is not just a one off.

Plenty of improvement left in this squad. I hope they realise it - because come finals time - we won't be able to play like that and win against a clinical Storm team, or an inform Parra/Roosters/Sharks.

Kev07

Juniors
This, I particularly wanted to mention how Cleary did a poor job of managing the game in the 2nd half.

He appeared on the left too often and went straight back to the give it to Kikau plays were Kikau got smashed. Kikau must have dropped the ball at least 3 times in those instances. Crighton also got very little ball.

I also have absolutely no idea why we never shaped for the field goal at all in the last 10 minutes- even if we didn't intend to kick one - you can often stagger and split a defensive line that has a few defenders chasing after the kickers.

That was an ugly win. Yes the Warriors really turned up, yes the weather was bad but the team collectively lost their minds in the 2nd half and we pretty much did the same against the Raiders last week so this is not just a one off.

Plenty of improvement left in this squad. I hope they realise it - because come finals time - we won't be able to play like that and win against a clinical Storm team, or an inform Parra/Roosters/Sharks.
Cleary had 91 receipts of the ball to Luai only getting the ball 39 times. Although Cleary is expected to get the ball more than Luai,this is over kill.

Many occasions he ran across to Luai edge to receive the ball but only clogged up their spacing or just dropped of a pass for Kikau in traffic.

It's great to see Nathan roam both sides of the field this year but he needs to choose when to. Luai needs a bigger voice,if he sees it's on he should get it.

Last edited:

Jane Murray

Bench

We have already defeated the Storm, Roosters and the Sharks. If it wasn't for a 10 minute lapse of concentration, then we would have defeated the Eels too.

betcats

Referee
Watching the game I don’t recall seeing us create overlaps very often except for the Naden try. We average 5 line breaks and only had two I think last night, we were just a little pedestrian with the ball compared to our usual standards but I think a lot of it can be attributed to the warriors and the weather.

betcats

Referee
Plus our kicking game wasn’t quite up to its usual standards, Nath put at least one dead and May put one dead on the 3rd or 4th tackle and Luai had a couple grubbers that didn’t get through.

We haven’t scored a second half try for two weeks now which is a bit concerning.

WestyLife

First Grade
Watching the game I don’t recall seeing us create overlaps very often except for the Naden try. We average 5 line breaks and only had two I think last night, we were just a little pedestrian with the ball compared to our usual standards but I think a lot of it can be attributed to the warriors and the weather.

The rain got a lot worse in the second half but two weeks in a row dropping off like that seems to be a pattern.

soc123_au

Staff member
Plus our kicking game wasn’t quite up to its usual standards, Nath put at least one dead and May put one dead on the 3rd or 4th tackle and Luai had a couple grubbers that didn’t get through.

We haven’t scored a second half try for two weeks now which is a bit concerning.
I thought Nathan's kicking was brutal. Only one kick he did was no good. Luai needs to work on his short kicking, he seems to be getting a lot of deflections & not getting them cleanly through the defence.

GoldCoastPather

Juniors
I thought Nathan's kicking was brutal. Only one kick he did was no good. Luai needs to work on his short kicking, he seems to be getting a lot of deflections & not getting them cleanly through the defence.
Yes and these are where the danger is a counter attack try to the opposition. Needs more work to eliminate or minimise the risk.

soc123_au

Staff member
Yes and these are where the danger is a counter attack try to the opposition. Needs more work to eliminate or minimise the risk.
His vision is pretty good. Generally when he goes for the kick it's the right play. Just needs to execute much better.

betcats

Referee

Yeah fair enough, he definitely had some great kicks, those little chips he does now are brilliant, better than a grubber for repeat sets of you are good at it.

betcats

Referee
His vision is pretty good. Generally when he goes for the kick it's the right play. Just needs to execute much better.

He doesn’t try them unless there’s a chance but he’s been so good at it the defence knows all about it now so it will get harder for him. He ran the ball well last week I’d love to see him dummy and go more, when we go left with deep attacking structure the defence is thinking all about Kikau and Crichton and Luai has the acceleration to punish them.

franklin2323

Immortal
His worst was giving away silly penalties. 2 Warriors tries were due to JFH and Martin giving away silly penalties - marching them up the field.

That is one area we need to improve. Most of them are just dumb. One from Martin on halfway 4th tackle and he is wrestling with the guy playing the ball. Just no need for it

WestyLife

First Grade
Not a complaint but I'd like to see Luai run it more. He really doesn't challenge the line himself.

Laurie looked heart broken on the bench in the second half poor bloke.