What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who do we keep?

Rich102

Staff member
Players whose contracts expire this year:
Nathaniel Roache 2020
Leivaha Pulu 2020
Adam Blair 2020 (PO 2021)
Gerard Beale 2020
Peta HIku 2020
Isaish Papalii 2020
Adam Keighran 2020
Taane Milne 2020
Lachlan Burr 2020
Patrick Herbert 2020
Jackson Frei 2020
Selestino Ravutamada 2020 (Development Contract)

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Hard to say without knowing who is coming through internally or being brought in externally.

None of them look irreplaceable to me.

Rich102

Staff member
We know Beale won't be resigned.

For me Roache has to play a couple of games to be resigned. (Or minimum wage for 1 year.)

Blair has an option. Does it have to be at the same value?

Hiku & Herbert I would keep.

If we need to resign Papalii then we lack depth. Would have to test the market.

I like what Keighran does. But I want to see him get game time in the halves before resigning..

Milne and Frei haven't shown much. Sayonara.

Selestino Ravutamada ?

Burr isn't front line now we have signed a couple of big boppers. Depends who else we have in the pipeline.

Pulu has run hot and cold. Isn't he back home now? Counts against him.

Big Marn

Juniors
We know Beale won't be resigned.

For me Roache has to play a couple of games to be resigned. (Or minimum wage for 1 year.)

Blair has an option. Does it have to be at the same value?

Hiku & Herbert I would keep.

If we need to resign Papalii then we lack depth. Would have to test the market.

I like what Keighran does. But I want to see him get game time in the halves before resigning..

Milne and Frei haven't shown much. Sayonara.

Selestino Ravutamada ?

Burr isn't front line now we have signed a couple of big boppers. Depends who else we have in the pipeline.

Pulu has run hot and cold. Isn't he back home now? Counts against him.
tbf Milne and Frei havent been given the opportunity due to 1) Potato 2) injury. Milne looked ok from the small sample size of games for the Warriors last year. Frei i have no idea about and due to Potato's ultra conservative approach, may be be a diamond in the rough. We know from past evidence that Potato has let at least 1 elite player escape.

SmashEmBro

Juniors
Nathaniel Roache - needs to play atleast 4 games and finish 2020 injury free or gooone
Leivaha Pulu goooone
Adam Blair goooone
Gerard Beale gooooone
Peta HIku keep
Isaish Papalii goooone
Adam Keighran goooone
Taane Milne goooone
Lachlan Burr gooone
Patrick Herbert keep
Jackson Frei gooone
Selestino Ravutamada unsure

I feel for a few of these players - Milne, Keighran, Burr and Pulu have all shown promise at times but I don't think the clubs given them enough opportunities or have been unable to show much because of injury.
I'd be happy to keep them on a minimum wage contract, or they goooone

Penrose_11

Juniors
I just don’t see Burr as a front rower. Is he only playing their due to everyone else being injured? He think he has good work rate and low errors but just not the size to play up front. Would only sign him as a back lower or lock.

Others i’d keep are Hiku, Herbert, Pulu and Keighran. Rest gone

JJ

Immortal
As long as Blair goes it’s a win... but he’ll be back

list of pretty ordinary players tbh, won’t be much competition for them, thankfully Kearney is gone else they’d all have be re signed by now

Big Marn

Juniors
how does it work with development players? We can only play NRL with our top 25 roster right? So development players are part of that top 25? or do they get an exemption for playing in NRL if the coach picks them?

Blair

Coach
As long as Blair goes it’s a win... but he’ll be back...

Psychologically you'd think he'd come out all guns blazing if he does. He'd know the mgmt probably doesn't want him back, so he'd go, 'well, look what you would've missed, mutha****ers!'

Penrose_11

Juniors
Blairs reportedly on bout $650k next year PO. No other club is gonna pay him anywhere near that so unless something comes up then he’s staying as he’d be stupid not to. Think our only hope is a club picking him up for bout $400k for 2 yrs.

Big Marn

Juniors
Blairs reportedly on bout $650k next year PO. No other club is gonna pay him anywhere near that so unless something comes up then he’s staying as he’d be stupid not to. Think our only hope is a club picking him up for bout $400k for 2 yrs.
we all said this would happen at the time of signing. Over the hill overrated player getting a free pension courtesy of the Warriors.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
how does it work with development players? We can only play NRL with our top 25 roster right? So development players are part of that top 25? or do they get an exemption for playing in NRL if the coach picks them?

Don't know about 2020 Because of all the disruptions but it was top 30 with up to 6 development contracts on top of that.

Development players could play before June 30 with an exemption or after June 30 without needing one.

BLN2

Juniors
we all said this would happen at the time of signing. Over the hill overrated player getting a free pension courtesy of the Warriors.

You're right, we all were f*cking saying that. Was over rated at the Broncos, on the decline due to age, and we sign him to a large, long contract. Actually he was average since he left the Storm. Found this on an old article;

"The Warriors are set to announce Adam Blair has signed to the club on a three-year deal for $650,000 a season, totalling $1.95-million.

It is believed Blair's management had wanted a four-year contract for the 31-year-old, but the club have managed to reduce that down to three."

Moses has been screwing us as ever since Kearney joined the club.

Could be worth while the club paying him half price to not be apart of the squad. So a contract buy out. Why would he not take the option..

Hopoate might be straight back to Manly BTW, with Elliott out with an ACL.

JJ

Immortal
If he has luck with injuries will be interesting to see how he goes. With Kearney nobody developed much. I’m not big on him yet, but we’ve seen so little of him

SmashEmBro

Juniors
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...e-in-talks-with-nrl-clubs-as-warriors-move-on

"Nathaniel Roache is on the hunt for a new NRL club after being told he won’t be offered a new contract at the Warriors."

This feels slightly premature, he's finally ready to play and then we say no thanks? Would have atleast made sense to see him play and see how he goes first.
Players like Benji and SBW's bodies took time to get used to NRL and had lots of injuries early on before coming right.
Roache has looked good when he's been on the field, so I just wonder why this decision would be made now. Only 24 years old, could have another 8 or 9 years in the nrl

waipiro

Juniors
This feels slightly premature, he's finally ready to play and then we say no thanks? Would have atleast made sense to see him play and see how he goes first.
Players like Benji and SBW's bodies took time to get used to NRL and had lots of injuries early on before coming right.
Roache has looked good when he's been on the field, so I just wonder why this decision would be made now. Only 24 years old, could have another 8 or 9 years in the nrl

Medical staff must think the chances of continued injury is high.

BLN2

Juniors
He's been given a lot of support from the club, he's basically been holding the young/3rd choice hooker spot in the squad for the past 5 years with very little return. Guys like Sam Cook, Erin Clark have been let go while hoping he'd come good. TBH he's worth the patience, but the club has finally decided to move on by the looks of things.

It's a shame, I think he'll come good for someone in the NRL. Clearly the management are happy with Lawton and Egan for the next year or 2, and see someone younger coming through to take Nate's spot. Have heard good things about the SG Ball hooker from memory?

It's probably the right decision by the club, but a really hard one.

sup42

Juniors
I'd like to see Hiku retained.
He is our best attacking player. And after a couple of Lazy seasons his defence has finally come right, in other words he is a very good player for someone that was signed for peanuts.

Hiku in the redzone is very hard to tackle, the way he maintains his balance and changes angles is subtle, but he has used that to beat a lot of defenders.