What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2021 Jerseys, Sponsorship, Logos etc

Perth Red

Post Whore
The quotes from Abdo are infuriating...

Source: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...r/news-story/7f1c311f5705290c839fdf416ce62121

Vodafone sponsors the Warriors for brand exposure, if the NRL won't let them get such exposure, why would they continue to put money into the club? I can't imagine any of the options the NRL has put forward being mutually beneficial to either the Warriors or Vodafone as neither would be getting what they want.

IS Abdo that stupid? He wants Vodaphone to keep giving Warriors $millions but not get any brand advertising or positioning in the deal. Yeh thats going to work!

So much for big tough Vlandys and his pitbull approach to whats best for the game. I am seriously dreading finding out the details of the Tv deals he has signed! I mean come on even gallop managed to deal with this problem!

wazdog

Juniors
Whilst the timing of this is terrible (I can't believe the NRL is kicking them whilst they are down after all they have done for the comp this year) I'm surprised the partnership lasted this long.

Am I right in saying that they want the naming rights removed but OK with the jersey sponsorship, or do they want both out.

Very few clubs are known by their sponsors name like the Vodafone Warriors.

yakstorm

First Grade
Whilst the timing of this is terrible (I can't believe the NRL is kicking them whilst they are down after all they have done for the comp this year) I'm surprised the partnership lasted this long.

Am I right in saying that they want the naming rights removed but OK with the jersey sponsorship, or do they want both out.

Very few clubs are known by their sponsors name like the Vodafone Warriors.

i believe the issue is the visibility of the brand. It was the use of the Vodafone branding on the goal posts which kicked off this whole issue.

I don't know if Telstra would care if they were still called the 'Vodafone Warriors' if there was no Vodafone branding on the kit, although I doubt Vodafone would go for that.... It didn't work too well for the Jetstar when they had the 'naming rights' sponsorship of the Titans, but iSelect was on the front of the jersey back in 2012.

MugaB

Coach
They caved in to the public sentiment that telstra looked like complete fwitz for triggering that contract fine print, as much as broncos did during SL after the comps merge, to be the only one club in brisbane.
Well done Rugby League! you've shown big business that common sense prevails

Perth Red

Post Whore
Haha, how stupid does that make NRL HQ look? At least Telstra had the good sense to back down.

MugaB

Coach
Haha, how stupid does that make NRL HQ look? At least Telstra had the good sense to back down.
Youre assuming it was HQ that didn't push telstra to back off, always thinking the worst of PVL, red you need to.....
gooo.gif

yakstorm

First Grade
Regardless of who told who (IMO it would have been the Telstra PR department which would have escalated this), the quotes by Abdo really don't paint the NRL in a good light.

Would have been better for them not to have said anything in hindsight.

Anyway, doesn't matter, Warriors have had a small victory and Vodafone in both Australia and NZ have received a huge amount of free promotion.

wazdog

Juniors
i believe the issue is the visibility of the brand. It was the use of the Vodafone branding on the goal posts which kicked off this whole issue.

I don't know if Telstra would care if they were still called the 'Vodafone Warriors' if there was no Vodafone branding on the kit, although I doubt Vodafone would go for that.... It didn't work too well for the Jetstar when they had the 'naming rights' sponsorship of the Titans, but iSelect was on the front of the jersey back in 2012.

Ah ok that makes sense. If they did stick to their guns and demand the sponsorship to cease they should have implemented a phased approach (i.e. allow it for all games in NZ but restrict the use for Australian games) which would give the Warriors adequate time to secure a new sponsor.

Whilst the Vodafone sponsorship of the Warriors came before Telstra become the naming rights sponsor, I wonder if the partnership would have last this long if Telstra wasn't the naming rights sponsor?

Although the ownership structure of Vodafone NZ and Vodafone Australia are different I wonder if there is some sort of cross subsidy between companies from a marketing perspective? As the real winner of the Vodafone NZ sponsorship is actually the Australian arm as the total addressable market is larger here.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/wa...s-telstra-sabotage-claim-20200818-p55mve.html

Warriors free to extend Vodafone deal as NRL dismisses Telstra sabotage claim

Michael Chammas and Zoe Samios
August 18, 2020 — 6.45pm

The NRL has dismissed claims major partner Telstra tried to sabotage telecom rival Vodafone's major sponsorship of the Warriors, with the governing body saying the club was warned multiple times over several years that its deal would need to cease at the end of this year.

It comes as Telstra on Tuesday granted the NRL an exemption that will allow the Warriors to continue its 22-year partnership with Vodafone and extend its $1 million-a-season sponsorship deal, which finishes at the end of this season, until 2022.

532f667b278ceba2ef1a8cb5688f2d7a342adbce

The Warriors are free to continue their 22-year association with Vodafone.CREDIT:GETTY

Under the terms of a $180 million, five-year naming rights extension negotiated in 2016, the NRL agreed that clubs wouldn't be allowed to have a sponsor that was a competitor of Telstra, but put in an exemption for pre-existing arrangements until their contract expiry.

Interim chief executive Andrew Abdo, who was chief commercial officer when the deal with Telstra was struck, repeatedly told the Warriors they would not be able to renew the deal with Vodafone. However, Telstra was accused on Tuesday of undermining the Warriors and the code by demanding the Kiwi side drop Vodafone as their jersey sponsor, in retaliation to being sidelined from NRL broadcast negotiations in June, which ultimately cost it the streaming rights beyond 2022.
But the NRL has since moved to repair the damage and has started discussions with Telstra about extending its naming rights deal beyond 2022. The code is adamant Telstra has the best interests of the game at heart and is not trying to undermine the sport in retaliation to being sidelined from negotiations.

"During this crisis, Telstra have been incredibly loyal and supportive partner of rugby league," Abdo told The Herald.

6a5d6c0d2a580f5a2d9f10885d7d877d3ed7d763

Interim NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo.CREDIT:NRL

"Their investment has been part of what's enabled us to keep playing and their commitment to the game has now been further evidenced by their willingness to continue to support the Warriors."

The NRL has been working with the Warriors for a number of weeks to try and find a solution to its sponsorship dilemma such as allowing the Warriors to have Vodafone on the front of jersey for games played in New Zealand.

A Vodafone spokesperson said on Tuesday that the alternatives were not suitable.

"We understand NRL have offered a diluted non-naming partnership option to the Warriors as an alternative, but naming rights has always been the primary reason for our 22 year-long partnership," the spokesperson said.

“While we are looking at our options this means unfortunately, and very reluctantly, Vodafone NZ will most likely conclude its 22 year sponsorship of the Warriors at the end of the current season. We know this is incredibly disappointing for Warriors fans, as it is for Vodafone NZ."

Telstra contacted the governing body on Tuesday and volunteered to provide an exemption that would allow the Warriors to continue its existing arrangement with Vodafone for the next two years. It's unclear if Vodafone will extend.

"Our sporting clubs are feeling the pinch right now and many, like the Warriors, have stepped up to support their fans and the game," a Telstra spokesperson said. "While our naming rights sponsorship is a big investment from us in the game and should be protected in the long term, now is not the time to be taking money out of the sport.

"Just as we’ve extended our sponsorships that were due to expire for 12 months to support our partners, the Warriors have our support to extend their existing sponsorship too."

ACTPanthers

Bench
I'm actually 100% sure that PR sits naked at his desk, jacking off over every imagined short coming of the NRL, while making out with a printed pic of PVL smearing his cheap and bright red lipstick all over it...

It's just a really sad state of affairs for this merkin...

It's been reported in today's Telegrapgh that the Randwick Rugby club will go back to traditional collar/cotton style jerseys and other Shute Sheild clubs will follow suit... hope the NRL club's will get on bored also.

Frailty

First Grade
It's been reported in today's Telegrapgh that the Randwick Rugby club will go back to traditional collar/cotton style jerseys and other Shute Sheild clubs will follow suit... hope the NRL club's will get on bored also.

If you think following anything Union is a good idea, I have some bad news for you.

GAZF

First Grade
Lets also hope that they go back to leather balls and work boots with nails in the soles.

Latest posts