What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 15 Vs Broncos

some11

Referee
Hilarious reading.
People already outraged because Young hasn't selected the entire jersey flegg team from last year.
You want to throw in kids that haven't played any football since 11 months ago.
The same kids have never played against men, no Canterbury Cup, just straight into NRL at back end of season.
Id love to see the reaction when the juniors all shit the bed, drop passes, miss tackles, fall apart. Then we'd see the same people saying move them on they are shit.
Calm the f**k down.
Let's see what happens, its Youngs first game as interim head coach.
I'm guessing the majority of the supporters on here haven't payed attention to what has happened with the broncos by releasing old heads and throwing a bunch of kids to the wolves.

With no QLD/NSW cup this year it has been an absolute disaster. Kids might have talent and potential but they can't handle the rigors of NRL week after week after week.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Blacker must feel totally ignored. Even Saab has got a couple of games and was totally underwhelming. I hear that the club has used 27 players so why not give Blacker a go.

getsmarty

Immortal
vaughanp-200620_sd_13.jpg

GAME DAY

Game day guide: Round 15 v Broncos
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Wed 19 Aug 2020, 02:51 PM

The St George Illawarra Dragons will face the Brisbane Broncos at Suncorp Stadium on Friday, August 21 (7:55pm). This is your Round 15 game day guide.

Fuimaono suspension throws Young spanner
The night owls within St George Illawarra's fan base would have seen just before midnight on Wednesday that Dragons back-rower Tyrell Fuimaono failed in his bid to have a dangerous contact charge downgraded.

With Fuimaono named in the back row to face the Broncos, interim coach Dean Young is now faced with his first team list scratching after taking the reins over the weekend.

It's not all doom and gloom for the Dragons though given the return of Australia and New South Wales front-rower Paul Vaughan from a Covid hold after he was caught breaking Covid-19 enforced protocols.

Veteran forward Trent Merrin or a potential debuting Eddie Blacker are the likely candidates to replace Fuimaono in the Dragons' 17.

It looks like you may be using adblocking software to view this site.

Many features on the site, such as video playback, may not work properly when using adblocking software.

Please whitelist our domain or disable your adblocker to access all features and videos.

"He told us what he expects" - Dean Young's first training in charge

Broncos' Payne in the Haas
The Broncos have lost their past five games and sit precariously on the second-to-bottom rung on the NRL Telstra Premiership ladder.

A wounded team is a dangerous team though, and the Broncos are never a team to take lightly.

There's an even greater emphasis on wounded for the Broncos this week following the suspension of Payne Haas as well as the season-ending shoulder injury to Thomas Flegler.

Throw in Jake Turpin's broken hand and the Broncos will boast an entirely brand new front row in Joe Ofahengaue, former Dragon Issac Luke and Rhys Kennedy – who previously featured in St George Illawarra's lower grades.

Ethan Bullemor and Jamil Hopoate have been named on the bench for a Brisbane team that will otherwise welcome the returns of Anthony Milford and Jordan Kahu.

Suncorp Stadium – a happy hunting ground?
Between the years of 2009 and 2017, Suncorp Stadium may as well have been a graveyard for St George Illawarra hopes and dreams.

10 losses and eight years later and the Dragons have finally seen the light. In fact, the Red V have won three of their four past games at the home of Queensland rugby league.

The Dragons' 48-18 qualifying final win over the Broncos in 2018 was arguably one of the club's greatest victories while a golden point thriller the year following helped further exorcise the Red V's Suncorp demons.

Let's hope the good times roll on come Friday.

Brisbane is red and white
Eligible Queensland-based Red V members will be able to purchase tickets for Friday night's clash in BrisVegas.

To purchase tickets, you will need to enter the number of tickets you'd like to purchase as a code. For example, use code TWO for two tickets and then follow the steps to complete your purchase. The maximum group size available is 10 tickets.

Please note, when the ticket price comes up on the screen it will reflect the total ticket price for the number of seats that have been selected, not the price per seat. For game day information, please visit the Broncos website by clicking here.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/08/19/game-day-guide-round-15-v-broncos/

LINESPEED

Juniors
Hilarious reading.
People already outraged because Young hasn't selected the entire jersey flegg team from last year.
You want to throw in kids that haven't played any football since 11 months ago.
The same kids have never played against men, no Canterbury Cup, just straight into NRL at back end of season.
Id love to see the reaction when the juniors all shit the bed, drop passes, miss tackles, fall apart. Then we'd see the same people saying move them on they are shit.
Calm the f**k down.
Let's see what happens, its Youngs first game as interim head coach.

With all respect to your hyperbole and views Crush

...Ramsey & Feagai need to be blooded ASAP if we’re to be serious about correcting our longterm centres/outer backs weaknesses.

There’s no sense in the ‘loyalty’ thing with Aitken.

I don’t subscribe to the reticence in selecting juniors who are ready - because they might ‘drop passes’ or ‘shit the bed’.

& I don’t know that too many of our juniors would’ve appreciated a couple of your remarks Crush?

- and it’s been a hard slog for us all to get to this point in bringing about Club change and renewal
... and you’ve been a great contributor.

But career beginnings have to be made somewhere, and I posited the inclusion only of 2 new attacking options to improve backline attack heading into 2021

Quite logical I thought - for both the Club & Deano

The ‘let’s see what happens’ is a well worn mantra at our Club that smacks of a failed conservatism generally,
and especially in bringing juniors (especially outside backs) through over the last 5 years
- for mateship reasons I’ve hammered incessantly.

And we do seem to have finally won the Lafai/Aitken argument I’d say?

Anyway, Ramsey at 20, tall & 82kg, under 20’s Player of The Year, Nine’s Team of The Tournament

.... ‘played against men’ in February quite admirably

... & is, I would suggest, now ready to debut in these crucial 6 weeks of opportunity, with our finals prospects finished
according to Webb?

Sailor’s already blooded, but Max Feagai, at 19 & 98kg, is the attacking beast we need alongside Zac,

....representing at several levels
....with all the attacking, defensive & ball skills we need
- and who, I think, will not be ‘shitting’ himself too often?

Zac & Duff got through their initiations despite McSacked’s disastrous impact on their initial confidence

.... and look at the payback.

(BTW Our entrenched conservative (and journeyman) selection culture almost lost them both)
Can someone send the Club the Jack Gibson coaching manual lol?

With regard to Deano?
...well good luck, but I’d thought the jury was out on what the Club truly needed

Go Dragons!!

Now we can
”start playing like StGeorge”
...as Bennett said to our troops at half time in 2010

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
With all respect to your hyperbole and views Crush

...Ramsey & Feagai need to be blooded ASAP if we’re to be serious about correcting our longterm centres/outer backs weaknesses.

There’s no sense in the ‘loyalty’ thing with Aitken.

I don’t subscribe to the reticence in selecting juniors who are ready - because they might ‘drop passes’ or ‘shit the bed’.

& I don’t know that too many of our juniors would’ve appreciated a couple of your remarks Crush?

- and it’s been a hard slog for us all to get to this point in bringing about Club change and renewal
... and you’ve been a great contributor.

But career beginnings have to be made somewhere, and I posited the inclusion only of 2 new attacking options to improve backline attack heading into 2021

Quite logical I thought - for both the Club & Deano

The ‘let’s see what happens’ is a well worn mantra at our Club that smacks of a failed conservatism generally,
and especially in bringing juniors (especially outside backs) through over the last 5 years - for mateship reasons I’ve hammered incessantly.

And we do seem to have finally won the Lafai/Aitken argument I’d say?

Anyway, Ramsey at 20, tall & 82kg, under 20’s Player of The Year, Nine’s Team of The Tournament, ‘played against men’ in February quite admirably

... & is, I would suggest, now ready to debut in this crucial 6 weeks of opportunity, with our finals prospects finished according to Webb?

Sailor’s already blooded, but Max Feagai, at 186cms & 98kg, is the attacking beast we need alongside Zac,
....representing at several levels
....and has all the attacking, defensive & ball skills we need
- and who, I think, will not be ‘shitting’ himself too often

Zac & Duff got through their initiations despite McGregor,
and look at the payback.

(BTW Our entrenched conservative (and journeyman) selection culture almost lost them both)

With regard to Deano?
...well good luck, but I’d thought the jury was out on what the Club truly needed

Go Dragons!!

Now we can
”start playing like StGeorge”
...as Bennett said to our troops at half time in 2010

I think the changes in the team will happen albeit slowely and not en masse.

Young may still be auditioning for a top job even if it mightn't be at the Dragons. That equates to wins on his resume, not who he promoted to play.

LINESPEED

Juniors
That equates to wins on his resume, not who he promoted to play.

Good point too
... & it explains Tuesday’s
Teamsheet

... as I’ve posted earlier in more hyperbolic terms.

But the criteria you suggest are not mutually exclusive surely?

Yes slowmo looks the go, as you say

But remember this is largely the 17 that’s only won 9/32? to date?

...and I’m just looking at prospects for more improvement on that
-for both Deano AND win ratio

noone’s obviously talking en masse

...just
to be able to hit the ground running in 2021

...I mean, what’s the point of blooding juniors into vacant positions Rd1 2021?

Let’s get the so-called ‘dropped passes’ etc out of the way
when it doesn’t matter for the team’s 2019 prospects.

Surely the team’s longterm health comes before a hesitant coach’s CV?
Or are we back in the McGregor mindset?

Last edited:

SGMax

Juniors
As nice as it would be to put all our youngest players in for the rest of the season its quite unreasonable to base this purely on age and inexperience.
You can't have a team with too many youngsters playing....see the Broncos' season so far.

In the current team, we have Clune, Lomax, and Kerr in their first year as regular first graders.
We also have Dufty, Lawrie, and Ravalawa in their 2nd year of regular first grade.
I would love to see Ramsey in the team, but any of the others would be a risk.
Sailor plays every play like its the 5th tackle and tries to force a result. Pretty sure he is not staying.
There have been many comments that Blacker isn't quite ready....maybe he gets a go this week through necessity.

The reason the Storm and Roosters do this so well is that they surround their new players with talent and experience....gradually, one or two at a time.
The objective is to win.
I defer to the coach and his assistants to pick the team that will give the greatest chance of victory as I am not involved with the team directly on a daily basis....its their job.

LINESPEED

Juniors
As nice as it would be to put all our youngest players in for the rest of the season its quite unreasonable to base this purely on age and inexperience.
You can't have a team with too many youngsters playing....see the Broncos' season so far.

In the current team, we have Clune, Lomax, and Kerr in their first year as regular first graders.
We also have Dufty, Lawrie, and Ravalawa in their 2nd year of regular first grade.
Sailor plays every play like its the 5th tackle and tries to force a result. Pretty sure he is not staying.
There have been many comments that Blacker isn't quite ready....maybe he gets a go this week through necessity.

The reason the Storm and Roosters do this so well is that they surround their new players with talent and experience....gradually, one or two at a time.
The objective is to win.
I defer to the coach and his assistants to pick the team that will give the greatest chance of victory as I am not involved with the team directly on a daily basis....its their job.

“all”??

True_Believer

Juniors

The objective is to win.

I agree. Add to that (as others have mentioned) that Young is previewing for a first grade coaching gig - he's not going to make decisions purely because the fans want to see how other players perform in first grade. He's going to want to impress his future employer - and that's by winning games. Not by making emotional or rash decisions. There's no way he's going to gimp his chance at securing the top job. I'm sure everybody would act the same way if they were filling in a position they wanted.

Additionally he should already have all of this inside info. I would suspect if he thought there were better options he would have made those changes immediately. There may be a couple of positions that are up in the air, but he may be wanting to give the incumbents a chance to improve under his guidance before making a call.

Finally, whoever gets selected as the coach is going to get their chance to go through the current roster and make their own assessments when they come on board. There's no way a new coach would be making any team selection calls based on a previous coaches decisions. They'll make their own assessment once they come on board.

LINESPEED

Juniors
Additionally he should already have all of this inside info. I would suspect if he thought there were better options he would have made those changes immediately. There may be a couple of positions that are up in the air, but he may be wanting to give the incumbents a chance to improve under his guidance before making a call.

I agree with much of what you say, but we must remind ourselves, as we claw our way out of the mind numbing failures
of McSacked’s World, that this is his
& now his 6 year assistant’s team
... the team that came15th under both their watches.
So in a way you’re still attributing great judgment to the established selection & management process

... and I’ve merely suggested Feagai for departing Aitken
& Ramsey for bench
& seemed to have somewhat ruffled perhaps
a few more conservative feathers

Which is fine & what The Forum is about

small increments, as you’ve said are warranted
....& what I’ve suggested

Change is difficult
And we don’t need it half-baked
And compromised

...the chance now must not be lost

Afuc/kinmen

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
Funny how some only want to barely dip their toe in the water despite calling for change.

Change in many minds was supposed to be coach, playing style and selections and obviously they are disappointed whilst others just wanted the coach gone and can’t see past that.

There is no way on this earth that Young should be even remotely auditioning for any kind of head coaching job.

If that is the case then all the change we have called for is just more smoke & mirrors and the club should get no praise and deserves only further criticism.

The lack of clarity around coaching is a huge issue for players and fan base and should be resolved forthwith.

The only logical reason for not blooding some young players as of right now is that the new coach is known, not yet announced, not to be announced before season end and that may mean post SOO and as such that person has asked pretty much for the status quo and already has his hands on the levers.

All those running off renewing memberships singing sings of joy could just as quickly be tearing them up again knowing how our BOD treats its member base.

True_Believer

Juniors
I agree with much of what you say, but we must remind ourselves, as we claw our way out of the mind numbing failures
of McSacked’s World, that this is his
& now his 6 year assistant’s team
... the team that came15th under both their watches.
So in a way you’re still attributing great judgment to the established selection & management process

... and I’ve merely suggested Feagai for departing Aitken
& Ramsey for bench
& seemed to have somewhat ruffled perhaps
a few more conservative feathers

Which is fine & what The Forum is about

small increments, as you’ve said are warranted
....& what I’ve suggested

Change is difficult
And we don’t need it half-baked
And compromised

...the chance now must not be lost

Afuc/kinmen

Ruffled no feathers at all. I just don't see it happening for the reasons I've explained.

Dean may have been part of his team, but it's been mentioned here and I've heard it elsewhere that with Mary it was his way or the highway. Dean may have been severely restricted with any decisions and any say he had in coaching the team.

I'm just prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt at the moment and most likely for the remaining 6 weeks as

a. He hasn't even been in the position 1 week yet and we haven't seen a team of his on the field
b. I'm not expecting this teams performance to turn around significantly in a couple of weeks - it will take time for any changes to game plan to take effect and gel.

You said in another post that he should "listen to the fans". Bennett once said something along the lines of "If you start listening to the fans you soon become one of them". I tend to agree. That's a death knell right there for any coach.

I'm not sure how you are coming to the conclusion that this opportunity is going to be lost. Once a coach is appointed, he'll go through this whole process.