What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 16 vs Titans

getsmarty

Immortal
match-centre-bg-large-1736x350.jpg

Telstra Premiership Round 16 Dragons vs Titans
Telstra Premiership

Round 16 - Friday 28th August 2020

Match: Dragons vs Titans
Kick off: 6:00pm
dragons-badge.svg

home Team

Dragons

11th Position

titans-badge.svg

away Team

Titans

13th Position

Venue: Netstrata Jubilee Stadium, Sydney

Match broadcasters:

Ground Conditions: N/A

Weather: Unknown

Fan Information
Stats
Head-to-Head
St. George Illawarra Dragons and Gold Coast Titans have played 23 games. St. George Illawarra Dragons has won 16 games. Gold Coast Titans has won 7 games.

Head-To-Head
Since 1998
Played

Won

Previous Meetings

Match: Titans vs Dragons

Saturday 20th June 2020

F ull T ime

home Team

Titans

Scored 8 points

away Team

Dragons

Scored 20 points

Match: Titans vs Dragons

Saturday 7th September 2019

F ull T ime

home Team

Titans

Scored 16 points

away Team

Dragons

Scored 24 points

Form Guide
Dragons recent results:
Titans recent results:
Current Season
Wins this season
36%
5/14
29%
4/14

Points Scored
home St. George Illawarra Dragons

away Gold Coast Titans
Points Conceded

away Gold Coast Titans
Completion Rate
80%

73%

Tackle Efficiency
90.8%

87.4%

Average Points Scored

away Gold Coast Titans
Average Points Conceded

away Gold Coast Titans
Average Play The Ball
3.49s

3.45s

Key Stats
Wins at this venue
60%
54/90
43%
3/7

Wins overall
48%
276/570
38%
131/342

https://www.dragons.com.au/draw/nrl-premiership/2020/round-16-dragons-v-titans/

Dragonslayer

First Grade
With K. Sims most probably out next week, who takes his spot in the team, and according to Young was on the bench asca back up for Host on the edge.

Ford is due back from suspension, does he go straight to edge and Host back to the bench? I sincerely hope not, Hosty does not deserve to lose his spot atm.

Merrin had some shoulder issues and probably why he didnt get any game time last night.

So, Ford onto the bench (replacing Sims) and hopefully Blacker may get a run (replacing Merrin).

Dragonslayer

First Grade
With K. Sims most probably out next week, who takes his spot in the team, and according to Young was on the bench asca back up for Host on the edge.

Ford is due back from suspension, does he go straight to edge and Host back to the bench? I sincerely hope not, Hosty does not deserve to lose his spot atm.

Merrin had some shoulder issues and probably why he didnt get any game time last night.

So, Ford onto the bench (replacing Sims) and hopefully Blacker may get a run (replacing Merrin).

Now add Vaughan as suspended.

Hope you're ready Ivan!!!!!!

Dragon David

First Grade
With Procter out they'll lack bite in their forward pack.
The game will be another tough one even with Procter out. Payne Haas was out when we played the Broncs last night but still the Broncs made it tough for us. The boys will need to lift plenty and maintain 80 minutes footy. The bench has to be used efficiently to keep all players from being fatigued.

RedVDave

First Grade
The game will be another tough one even with Procter out. Payne Haas was out when we played the Broncs last night but still the Broncs made it tough for us. The boys will need to lift plenty and maintain 80 minutes footy. The bench has to be used efficiently to keep all players from being fatigued.

Bench rotation is a huge concern, no wonder the boys looked absolutely gassed towards the end.

I mean look who he learnt from.

getsmarty

Immortal
vaughanp_1nh_4060.jpg

JUDICIARY

Vaughan facing crusher suspension
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Sat 22 Aug 2020, 11:23 AM

Dragons prop Paul Vaughan has been charged with a grade one crusher tackle by the NRL match review committee following the Red V's tight win over the Brisbane Broncos on Friday night.

Vaughan was placed on report midway through the first half for the tackle on Broncos winger Richard Kennar.

Due to a prior similar offence in recent seasons, Vaughan is facing a two-week suspension with the early guilty plea.

The Dragons have until 12pm Sunday to lodge their plea.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/08/22/vaughan-facing-crusher-suspension/

getsmarty

Immortal
Vaughan and Kikau facing NRL bans
  • National Sport
    r0_0_800_600_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Paul Vaughan faces a crusher tackle ban stemming from St George Illawarra's NRL clash with Brisbane.
    Paul Vaughan could face up to three weeks on the sidelines for what was labelled an "accidental" crusher tackle in St George Illawarra's NRL win over Brisbane.

Vaughan was on Saturday charged with a crusher tackle on Broncos winger Richie Kennar, with referee Henry Perenara seeming to say "accidental" after he blew the penalty.

Kennar clutched at his neck after the tackle, as he turned in the collision and ended up with his back facing Vaughan and no room for his neck.

It comes after Manly coach Des Hasler earlier warned that he feared players could face long bans for accidental incidents when players turn in tackles.

Regardless, Vaughan becomes the second player charged this weekend under the NRL's new crusher crackdown after Parramatta's Marata Niukore.

The Dragons front-rower can reduce the length of a ban to two matches with an early guilty plea, with a prior crusher tackle last year working against him.

The possible suspension comes after Vaughan was only on return from a two-week hiatus for a biosecurity breach earlier this month.

It follows a controversial weekend for the dangerous tackle style, amid suggestions players had stayed down to milk penalties in Parramatta's loss to Melbourne.

Eels coach Brad Arthur defended his players and denied they had tried to milk penalties at the time, a point Storm counterpart Craig Bellamy disagreed with.

Penrith second-rower Viliame Kikau could also face a two-game ban, for an off-the-ball hit.

Kikau was picked up for crunching Cronulla half Braydon Trindall late in the Panthers' win, with his suspension able to be reduced to one game with an early guilty plea.

Brisbane hooker Issac Luke is staring down the barrel of a week on the sidelines for dropping his body weight onto the unprotected legs of Josh Kerr.

Australian Associated Press

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/6890703/vaughan-and-kikau-facing-nrl-bans/?cs=9321

getsmarty

Immortal
Dufty credits ‘life coach’ Clune with new outlook on league
Phil Lutton
August 22, 2020 — 2.48pm
Matt Dufty has credited his "life coach" Adam Clune with helping him to embrace a more professional approach to his career as he continues to impress in the Dragons' No.1 jumper.

It is this season the 24-year-old believes he has finally actioned the advice of coaches, past and present, who said he had to take extra care with the finer details of preparation and recovery if he wanted to be taken seriously as a top-line NRL player.
The results have been there for everybody to see.

And Dufty himself feels he is bringing far more energy to the game, as he takes a central role for a St George-Illawarra side that has won back-to-back games and continues to dream of finding a way into the top eight by the end of the season.

A central character has been Dragons halfback Clune, who has been constantly driving and pushing Dufty since they were teammates in the club's under-20 side. Dufty has appreciated every shove in the right direction.

"As a kid, I always overlooked it a bit – I just thought I'd go out and play some footy," Dufty said. "Last year was a roller-coaster season for me. I probably wasn't training as well as I could have and came into [this] pre-season with a real focus to try and be more professional.

6403339a496de04c76033d97b9aa9fa00d861543

Matt Dufty's increased attention to his match preparation and recovery has shown on the field.Credit:Getty Images

"After I broke my cheekbone at the nines, recovery was something to work on. It's been a big step to me playing consistent footy. I've got more energy, I'm around the ball more, I'm a better support player. It's just a better mindset knowing I've done everything possible during the week.

"Cluney has always been the ultimate professional: he watches a lot of video, he does all the recovery, he doesn't miss anything. In 20s he always tried to pull me along to do that stuff so having him there in pre-season really brought the best out in me.

"He's like a bit of a life coach for me; he doesn't let me get away with anything, which is good. I respect him and appreciate him."

Dufty's game has also been elevated by a shift in the Dragons' attacking structure. While it used to revolve around a big, running fullback, Dufty has been given added space and time to make key decisions in their back-line shifts.

That means the ability to not just run, but showcase his passing game, which came to the fore in Friday night's win over the Broncos when he floated a supreme cut-out that hit winger Mika Ravalawa flush on the chest, before he stampeded over the line and scored in the corner.

"I love being in that situation, it brings out all three options [pass, kick, run]," Dufty said. "My evolution as a first-grader – everyone always did video of my running game, which can get shut down pretty quickly.

"The Dragons always had an attacking structure with a big fullback. When Flanno [Shane Flanagan] took over the attack halfway through the year when I got put back into the team, we kind of changed it around to footy that suits me. I've always been able to pass, it just hasn't been in our attacking structure as much."

The signs are getting better for the Dragons, even if the top eight looks a genuine Hail Mary given some of the difficult assignments on their run home, which include the Raiders, Knights and Storm. With their spine all contracted for next season, Dufty wants a front seat for any resurgence.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/re...credits-life-coach-clune-20200822-p55oa7.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Dufty a triple threat for rebuilt Dragons
  • r0_0_800_600_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Matt Dufty is relishing the extra freedom he has been afforded as St George Illawarra's No.1.
    Matt Dufty will tell you he's always been able to pass.

It's just that St George Illawarra's structure never quite allowed the lightning-fast fullback to show it in the NRL until now.

Carving out a reputation as an out-and-out speedster on his NRL arrival, the Dragons No.1 is now showing there's more to his game since being reinstated at the back midway through the season.

Getting the ball earlier and in space is allowing the 24-year-old to do things like his three-man cut-out pass on Friday night to set up Mikaele Ravalawa in their 28-24 defeat of Brisbane.

"I love being in that situation; it brings out all three options because you can run, pass or kick," Dufty said of his increased ball-playing duties.

"Everyone always did video on my running game and in the NRL once you're doing something well it gets shut down pretty quick.

"When I got put back into the team we changed it around to footy that suits me.

"I've always been able to pass, it just hasn't been in our attacking structure as much."

The win was the Dragons' second straight after their impressive defeat of Parramatta last week but at 6-9, and still two wins outside the top eight, they are at long odds to play finals.

Stand-in coach Dean Young said that wasn't the side's driving force, though.

"I want to know what we're going to get from the Dragons every week .. at the moment we don't and that's the truth of it," he said.

"We are a long, long way off from being as good as the top sides and I've told them that."

Meanwhile, the Dragons will wait on news regarding Korbin Sims' fitness after the forward limped off with an apparent calf injury in the final stages of Friday's game.

Australian Associated Press

https://www.theleader.com.au/story/6890681/dufty-a-triple-threat-for-rebuilt-dragons/?cs=13068

George Dragon

Juniors

Agree but Hosty may be out injured too.