What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 R16 Sat - Panthers 30-6 Wests Tigers @ Panthers

Round 16: Panthers v Wests Tigers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Ok mate, I don't know what else to say to this... If you think it's fine to continually bring up the same old gripes all the time, go nuts. IMO though, it's not healthy and just boring.

(Again, I feel I need to clarify this, I understand your anger, I just think it's going a little over the top now)

It's not healthy behaviour. You realise that Ivan didn't sign these players all on his lonesome. The ceo and board surely must be held equally responsible.

If I recall because of the Teddy Moses, Woods thing, players weren't keen to be at the W/T. That meant you had to pay overs.

It's such a victim mentality.

Penrith not very dis-simular in 2011 when Gus arrived Wade Graham had just walked out the door. In the following years Penrith did pay overs for experienced journeymen players.

Until you start developing your own players this cycle will continue.

Bazal

Post Whore
Eels fans are still salty with Ricky despite him actually cleaning up their mess. It's the nature of rugba leuge

I don't think many actually give a shit about all that, but Sticky didn't clean up squat.

All he did was put some blokes names on an overhead projector, tell them to piss off, and then do a runner before any of them actually did. Pretty revisionist to say he did anything else.

Abacus

Juniors
Not doubting that, but the fact he signed them all then bailed certainly deserves criticism. He was given free reign to create the roster he wanted, which has ensured years of failure for the club that he doesn't have to deal with.

Instead, he's walked into a team that is stacked with talent and form, thanks to others.

Fans of any team would harbour resentment for however long the problems left behind by the coach in question remained. The fact he went to Penrith isn't the issue in my eyes. He could have retired or gone into commentary, motivational speaking or flower arranging for all I care.

The mess he left behind deserves criticism.
Genuine question. Are Tigers fans equally pissed at your CEO for giving Ivan free reign?

For what it's worth, I think if the Tigers turn up as they did last time against Penrith they'll get the cash. Grant in for Tigers & Api out for Penrith to be the difference.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Genuine question. Are Tigers fans equally pissed at your CEO for giving Ivan free reign?

For what it's worth, I think if the Tigers turn up as they did last time against Penrith they'll get the cash. Grant in for Tigers & Api out for Penrith to be the difference.
There is definite resentment there, but it's the added fact that one skipped out on the mess and the other didn't.

After so many years of the management and coach fighting for control, it was a relief to have that behind us in 2017...

Nek minnut....

Abacus

Juniors
There is definite resentment there, but it's the added fact that one skipped out on the mess and the other didn't.

After so many years of the management and coach fighting for control, it was a relief to have that behind us in 2017...

Nek minnut....
Yep, fair enough & hopefully your CEO has learnt his lesson.

Nice to hear a bit of rationality on the Ivan thing. My cousin & his wife are Tigers tragics and even the mention of Panthers sets them off re Ivan. It would be funny if they weren't completely serious.

gerg

Juniors
I don't think many actually give a shit about all that, but Sticky didn't clean up squat.

All he did was put some blokes names on an overhead projector, tell them to piss off, and then do a runner before any of them actually did. Pretty revisionist to say he did anything else.

Lol. Eels tears have helped fuel a Ricky specific thread on this very site, has nearly 7,000 posts.

Bazal

Post Whore
Lol. Eels tears have helped fuel a Ricky specific thread on this very site, has nearly 7,000 posts.

One or two in every bunch. I don't read the thread myself any more but trolls like Rhyno don't count.

Granted, plenty were upset at the way he bitched out at the time...most of us couldn't care less now. Anyway my point was more that whatever Eels fans do or don't think of the Stickler he certainly didn't fix anything here.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
So we develop players that leave but we need to develop more players?

ok....

So you think Freddy dropped out of the sky at the Roosters ? W/T aren't the only ones to loose gun players to other teams.

Developing your own players gives you a better than average chance of keeping gun players. These players currently came through the flegg system at Penrith Edwards, Mansour made his debut at Penrith (developed though by souths) To'o, Naden originally developed by riff left and came back, Lui, Cleary et al.

If Penrith attempt to buy these players fully developed on the open market would probably have to pay overs for them, like W/T is currently doing. Having to buy players past their best or pay huge amounts of money for them.

It's sensible really. Campbelltown is an untapped resource your club should use for juniors.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
So you think Freddy dropped out of the sky at the Roosters ? W/T aren't the only ones to loose gun players to other teams.

Developing your own players gives you a better than average chance of keeping gun players. These players currently came through the flegg system at Penrith Edwards, Mansour made his debut at Penrith (developed though by souths) To'o, Naden originally developed by riff left and came back, Lui, Cleary et al.

If Penrith attempt to buy these players fully developed on the open market would probably have to pay overs for them, like W/T is currently doing. Having to buy players past their best or pay huge amounts of money for them.

It's sensible really. Campbelltown is an untapped resource your club should use for juniors.
Thanks, scoop...

SDM

First Grade
Rugby League is built on hatred. Tigers fans hate Ivan and good on them. The Panthers fans getting upset and trying to twist a narrative where their coach didn’t f**k that club over is just stupid, embrace the rivalry, why would you care if they hate the grub?

GongPanther

Referee
As long as the tigers have a go and show some dignity the score becomes immaterial.
If they play like they have the past month, this could be one of the all time floggings and they’ll deserve every second of abuse they cop.

Ivan has tripped arse backwards into undeserved success. That will be hard to continue watching. I hope he feels some sort of guilt for the shitshow he created.
I'm sure he is crying all the way to the bank. Did he do wrong? Sure. But put yourself in his shoes when someone offers you and your son $5 mill. WTF would you, or for that matter, anyone would have done.

And who knows, both Clearys could well end up in Tiger town if they like chasing the dollar.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
Rugby League is built on hatred. Tigers fans hate Ivan and good on them. The Panthers fans getting upset and trying to twist a narrative where their coach didn’t f**k that club over is just stupid, embrace the rivalry, why would you care if they hate the grub?

A weak board is too blame really. Easier to blame Ivan though

magpie_man

Juniors
My take on the Cleary kerfuffle:

Wests Tigers had designs on Cleary Jnr and tried to use Cleary Snr as leverage to bring him over.
Panthers counter by making Cleary Snr an offer he couldn't refuse.

In short: Wests Tigers gonna Wests Tiger.
I hold no animosity to Cleary, the Panthers or their fans; only to my joke of a club.

Moses, Matterson and Parramatta can go die in a fire though.

Latest posts