What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Tiger05

First Grade
I’m not so sure Harry is any better Liddle other than the fact Liddle hasn’t been able to stay on the park. Fingers crossed.

In relation to Tigers hunting Saab, it’s early in his development as NRL player so at this stage I’d give him the benefit of the doubt, but I don’t see too much upside in signing him. He is a deceptively big unit already and he has enough room on his frame for another 5 kg without problem. You’d need to get him for the right price.

I'd love Liddle to be better than Harry. At the moment to me it's not close but Liddle looks likely. The problem is Brooks has looked likely for years but hasn't made that step up.

Tigerm

First Grade
NRL contracts are farcical but how is this really going to work? In the end Catterson and Tigers came to a mutual agreement to release him. Sometimes its better for the clubs than to have someone bludging in reserve grade getting his full money.
But would he have gone, if he couldn't get more money?

Shredder

Juniors
No way. It was all about money.

I think the NRL wants to prevent a contract to be broken specifically for a higher amount, which would prevent this sort of thing.

But as you say if the guy is just going to be a cut snake about it, the club will always release him.

Tigerm

First Grade
NRL contracts are farcical but how is this really going to work? In the end Catterson and Tigers came to a mutual agreement to release him. Sometimes its better for the clubs than to have someone bludging in reserve grade getting his full money.
The other option is to do what the Storm do and ask for a player in return? The club dropped the ball on this one.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Matterson is completely full of shit. His line is "it wasn't for money, but I can't tell you why". Is he seriously 12 years old and thinks he's being really clever?

The rule needs to come in. Even if it is mutual, the player can't make more money than what they would have made in the original contract period. It stops player agents f**king up roster management, and stops bitch ass pussies like Catterson from getting a wandering eye. There will be lots of complaints from players but effectively they won't have a leg to stand on.

It is very typical of the Tigers though if this rule comes out before we can get JAC

axl rose

Bench
No way. It was all about money.

I think the NRL wants to prevent a contract to be broken specifically for a higher amount, which would prevent this sort of thing.

But as you say if the guy is just going to be a cut snake about it, the club will always release him.
Okay that makes sense. Nathan Brown (coach, not the player that fakes injury) was saying the other week that there's no such thing as a bargain buy anymore. Brown signed Jesse Ramien (overrated anyway) and he played 2 games for the Knights before his father was in at the club saying they were ripping him off and demanding a release for a promised upgrade back at the Sharks. But even if he did go to another club for less money what's to stop them from upgrading it eventually and making up the shortfall anyway?

Tigerm

First Grade
Okay that makes sense. Nathan Brown (coach, not the player that fakes injury) was saying the other week that there's no such thing as a bargain buy anymore. Brown signed Jesse Ramien (overrated anyway) and he played 2 games for the Knights before his father was in at the club saying they were ripping him off and demanding a release for a promised upgrade back at the Sharks. But even if he did go to another club for less money what's to stop them from upgrading it eventually and making up the shortfall anyway?
Or apparently unregistered TPA’s, allegedly it happens:joy::joy::joy:

Tigerm

First Grade
Its funny Brisbane getting caught for that with their worst side ever. Yet they had the QLD SOO side for most of their existence and no-one at the NRL bats an eyelid?
Hopefully our new commissioner gets this area fixed, its to open for rorting by people running clubs as the pressure to succeed is to great.
Let them spend themselves broke, but you got to have transparency that everyone understands.
I think they need to put a value on the talent of all players and have a limit of that value per team.

Tiger05

First Grade
Agree, I guess the only thing in our favour is he (supposedly) wants to play FB, LM is Souths FB, so I don't see him giving up his spot.

This is the type of BS that the club needs to make a stand against. We'd love JAC at the club. I'd love to see him scoring length of the field tries for us. At the same time we aren't beggars and we aren't going to overpay a guy for a role that he is completely unproven in. We also aren't going to get involved in your circus.

He is fair contract. If you don't like it well then go elsewhere. Show some balls.

Tigerm

First Grade
At the same time we aren't beggars.
I think we pretty much are beggars atm, we need to upgrade the squad, We are not going to get anywhere with what we got, this bloke is an elite player, we offered LM a $1m, what is this bloke worth, we paid AD $650k a season?
All players are a risky signing (we’ve had our fair share) but we have to take a risk if we want improve. Worst case he becomes a highly paid winger scoring tries.
We are not going to get elite players coming here for nothing, until we start being a successful team.
If we don’t pay them, then they won’t come and we will continue to be a bottom 8 side.

Tiger Ted

Bench
I think we pretty much are beggars atm, we need to upgrade the squad, We are not going to get anywhere with what we got, this bloke is an elite player, we offered LM a $1m, what is this bloke worth, we paid AD $650k a season?
All players are a risky signing (we’ve had our fair share) but we have to take a risk if we want improve. Worst case he becomes a highly paid winger scoring tries.
We are not going to get elite players coming here for nothing, until we start being a successful team.
If we don’t pay them, then they won’t come and we will continue to be a bottom 8 side.
I can handle AD being on 650k albeit we paid big overs however I’m very confident we will get good value out of him when he moves to 5/8 as expected next season.Re Madge’s signings it’s BJ Leulia’s contract that’s outrageous.Unlike AD who puts in & has enormous upside this clown is lazy & a loose canon who is worth closer to half the 700k he’s reportedly on.The way I see it is JAC is a heck of a lot more valuable than BJ & I expect we will most likely b paying him similar money to AD & BJ & we can’t afford to continue going down the road of paying players big overs & not getting a return on investment.

Tiger05

First Grade

I understand your perspective but I see it from a different point of view. I think we've done this in the past and this is why we come 9th. We pay overs for players that don't offer the right value for money and then we can't attract and retain players to build a good squad.

We need to ensure our top performers are our highest paid players. If JAC fits that category I'm fine with it.

Latest posts