What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 16 vs Titans

getsmarty

Immortal
Red V season slips away

The St George Illawarra Dragons faced the Gold Coast Titans at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium, Kogarah on Friday in a game that was theirs to lose.

And lose they did as the Titans buried their finals hopes, scoring two tries in the final five minutes to steal a 14-10 victory.

The Red V started as favourites after back-to-back wins, with Ben Hunt's switch to hooker and the rapid improvement of Matt Dufty at fullback giving Dean Young's side a new lease on life in attack this season.

But the Dragons blew a perfect chance to jump into ninth spot and are stuck on 12 points n the NRL ladder.

It was a tryless first half with both teams evenly matched but the Titans believed they had scored a try late in the half when Dragons winger Mikaele Ravalawa lost the ball on his own line, but the bunker denied the chance and the home team led 2-0 at the break.

Jacob Host finally scored the game's opening try and Zac Lomax gave his team a six-point lead with a 72nd-minute penalty goal but the Titans didn't give up with a 75th-minute try to Tyrone Peachey and 90 seconds later they scored again to claim the match-winning try.

Jackson Ford and Billy Brittain were named for the Dragons at the expense of Paul Vaughan (suspension) and Korbin Sims (calf injury) but Billy's night lasted just four minutes after he failed an HIA.

The Dragons now play the Cowboys at Townsville ,the Canberra Raiders at WIN Stadium, the Knights at Newcastle and the Round 20 clash against the Melbourne Storm will be played at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium, Kogarah.

The Emergency Services Cup clash will serve as the final game of the regular 2020 season on Sunday, September 27 (4:05pm).

,https://www.theleader.com.au/story/6900519/dragons-lose-to-titans/

Unfortunately for Deano, trying hard doesn’t equate to playing well.

Our attack was unimaginative and pedestrian and has been for most of the season.

Any suggestions that our attack was ok suggests Delano has been drinking from the same water bottle as Mary.

I really feel for Dean because he truly bleeds for the club, but he is simply not a first grade coach.

I would prefer to play the kids and get beaten by a cricket score than to pick Merrin, Norman and Hunt.

We must play Sailor next week.

Give Blacker 20 minutes.

Play Max Fegai.

The future is now.

Gareth67

First Grade
I never understand this, why Dufty, Clune and Hunt don’t back the carrier up like a drovers dog. Merrin always had the ability to get the ball away and this showed itself again tonight, but alas no one there...

Also, it’s easier to defend your try line than it is to defend a raid 40 metres or so out and when we’ve been having a crack from that far out recently we’ve been going okay....not tonight!

Just that Inisai , I have often wondered over the Mary years why , why haven’t some of the speed merchants followed the bigger forwards in the chance of a off-load ?

It only takes the one pass and they are through a gap with only the fullback to beat . It would appear that they will not use what should be a natural instinct for any support players .

Last edited:
Just watched the game, f&@k me.

Can anyone help me understand why Dragons Head Coaches can’t work an interchange.
Might as well just name 15 players next week. Merrin 8 minutes and Britton 3 minutes, what a waste.
Might as well have given Blacker and Sailor a go.
Also I don’t want to bag Frizz as I love the guy however some of his arm grabbing in that last 10 minutes was embarrassing.
Changes next week please and blood some young guys, nothing to loose now.

The Friz

Juniors
And yet most expect Young to turn it around in 2 weeks. F**king dipshits.

Those lauding the coaching of Holbrook seem to forget he lost the first 3 games of the season and has actually had the full season to work on his team.
Why would anyone laud Holbrook. Titans are still shit, have up 66 points the last 2 weeks. It’s only pure useless rabble that made them look competent.

The Friz

Juniors
Just watched the game, f&@k me.

Can anyone help me understand why Dragons Head Coaches can’t work an interchange.
Might as well just name 15 players next week. Merrin 8 minutes and Britton 3 minutes, what a waste.
Might as well have given Blacker and Sailor a go.
Also I don’t want to bag Frizz as I love the guy however some of his arm grabbing in that last 10 minutes was embarrassing.
Changes next week please and blood some young guys, nothing to loose now.
Britain got knocked out.

to_ddeath

Coach
Thought it was a gutsy effort to be competitive against a power house side like the Titans.

Dean Young just settling into the job.

Honestly quit the Young rubbish you moronic merkin.
It’s more predictable than a Darwin weather forecast.
More telegraphed than a Hunt/Norman backline movement.
Your pathetic obsession with us is at incel level now.
Give it up you prick. Seriously.

SaintPauli

Juniors
Yes agree, particularly with McInnes. Tried to convince myself that he’s a lock but I can’t, too light, and for all his magnificent efforts I agree with you I don’ think he’s an effective Captain. I don’t know who I’d have in that role.

Pity Clune, didn’t score in the first half; both he and Saints needed that one..., finally, wouldn’t be surprised if that was Aitken’s last game now we’re out of the race.
Top 8 is over and out.
Should blood new centres or young guys in other positions for remainding rounds.

Crush

Coach
Dragons lucky tonight to only lose narrowly.
Every refs call went their way.
They were pretty much reserve grade out there, devoid of any attacking potency.
Shame.
Whens the cricket start?

Phantom V

Juniors
Disgraceful!!!

Here I was, looking forward to a comfortable win against a depleted Titans team and we put in a soulless performance like that.Shame!

I actually had a bad feeling about the game once I heard Hunt was going to be rested at some point. I guess making more than 3 tackles a game wasn’t in his overinflated contract.

Why Norman gets a start before Sailor is beyond me. I know he’s had defensive issues at times but he makes up for it with his short kicking game and his speed makes him an even better candidate in the new format of the game.

On tonight’s effort, at least half of our team should be dropped to make way for the rookies coming through. I want to see pride in the jersey again!!!

I respect what Dean Young and his dad have done for our club, but we desperately need a coach with no prior association with the Dragons for us to improve in 2021 and beyond.

getsmarty

Immortal
dragons-dejected-200828_gt_0988.jpg

DRAGONS

Young fuming after failure to follow simple game plan
Author
Alicia Newton NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Fri 28 Aug 2020, 09:48 PM
newtonalicia-head.png

St George Illawarra caretaker coach Dean Young lamented his side's failure to execute a three-step game plan in Friday night's 14-10 home loss to the Titans.

Young issued a pre-game challenge to limit Titans fullback AJ Brimson's impact, keep a connected defensive line, and defend kicks across the 80 minutes, but the Dragons struggled to follow the game plan.

Brimson ran a team-high 192 metres with two line breaks, including a final decisive break in the 78th minute that set up the match-winning try for Jamal Fogarty.

"It pisses me off to be honest because I know they're trying but you don't get two points for trying in this game, you've got to get your job done," Young said.

"They're all capable of doing their job but in the end, we didn't get it done. That's why we're sitting down shattered and that's why the Titans are singing the team song.

"The players are certainly buying into what we're trying to do. I thought we just played too lateral tonight.

"I thought our attack has been going okay the last couple of weeks but we tried to shift too much off slow play-the-balls.

"The Titans are the best in the comp at slowing the rucks down. We were never on the front foot so we tried to address that at half-time.

"In the end, Adam Clune and Tyson [Frizell] also both got held up over the line."

With four rounds remaining, the Dragons' 10th loss of the season all but rules out any chance of playing in this year's finals series.

In contention for the vacant head coach's role next year, Young was unsure if he would use the remaining month of the regular season to make changes.

"I'll give it some thought and make a decision early in the week," he said.

"I've asked them to compete for 80 minutes and everyone can see we're competing hard. Our discipline is good - I think we only gave away four penalties and completed at 92 percent.

"[But] in the end the Red V deserves everything so I'm going to try and pick a side that can go out and win every week."

Young said Dragons bench hooker Billy Brittain would be monitored ahead of the clash with the Cowboys next week after failing a head injury assessment just four minutes after getting on the paddock.

Brittain replaced Hunt momentarily in the first half before leaving the field.

"I feel sorry for Billy, if you look into his story, he came to us late, where he drives from and the travel he has to do to train and play," Young said.

"I thought he could've been a difference tonight. We'll see how he is during the week."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/08/28/young-fuming-after-failure-to-follow-simple-game-plan/

Latest posts