What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd16: Parra v Souths GAME DAY thread (27/8/20)

IFR33K

Coach
I can almost picture you getting teary eyed when you posted this. It's f**ken pathetic.

If we smashed them by 50 you probably still would have said we were lucky to win and it was because of our favourable draw.

So you agree with poo it wasn’t an important game?

lingard

Coach
Whatever you think Moses was told, the fact is Dylan Brown is the one getting most of the ball. Moses is just our primary kicker and also happens to be in the leadership group.

Now it's possible that Moses has taken a back seat (and he certainly has) due to his injury, but it might be that Arthur's has them playing to their strengths.

No no no. I don't think Moses was told that. Arthur said he told him that. And if you think Moses is 'just our primary kicker' you're not looking too closely at the games. My point is: until we have someone (perhaps it's Dylan Brown when he matures) who can be the real organiser and director of the team on the field (because Moses will never be that) we won't go anywhere near a premiership.

lingard

Coach
Sivo was lost at sea. Dunster or G.Jennings (if available) will replace him.

Sivo cannot play in the finals. Great option in attack but way to expensive in defence. Storm / Roosters will target him with set plays / bombs if he plays. They have worked out that he does not know how to play the game.

No matter how badly Sivo is playing, Gennings is worse.

IFR33K

Coach
I think you've made it more important in your own mind because you are still emotional about the result.

Good to see you still sitting on the fence. There’s no emotion here bud at the end of the day it’s just a game. I’m not losing sleep over the result or who the coach is.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Good to see you still sitting on the fence. There’s no emotion here bud at the end of the day it’s just a game. I’m not losing sleep over the result or who the coach is.
I’m not sitting on the fence. It was no more important than most games. I’ve explained why I think you’ve retrospectively made it so.

IFR33K

Coach
I’m not sitting on the fence. It was no more important than most games. I’ve explained why I think you’ve retrospectively made it so.

Ok. I have no idea why u keep going around in circles. And i know you’ll respond because that’s what your type do best. If you’re satisfied to lose Thursday night and didn’t consider it an important game to win considering the pickle we’re in, then I’m glad for you. Have a good day, pulling out splinters b

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Ok. I have no idea why u keep going around in circles.And i know you’ll respond because that’s what your type do best. If you’re satisfied to lose Thursday night and didn’t consider it an important game to win considering the pickle we’re in, then I’m glad for you. Have a good day, pulling out splinters b

That makes no sense whatsoever. Going in circles?

We were in the top 3 irrespective of the result. There will be far more important games this year. That’s irrefutable.

And I’ve already said that I wasn’t happy with the loss so that is just a ridiculous statement.

The fence sitter thing is just a rehash of a bad @Avenger line that he threw out in desperation when I was giving him shit about flipping and flopping.

One thing I am not shy of is giving an opinion which is why I probably annoy you. Even Avy was smart enough to back track from the fence sitter thing because he knew it was shit material.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
On Sivo's defence I think it was exposed far worse than usual this game because Jennings, who I still reckon is one of the better defensive centres in the game, had a bit of a shocker. Same with Fergo, who isn't so bad, Waqa leaves him high and dry too much, but again Waqa had a shocker, even by his usual inglorious standards.

Maybe we just weren't pushing inside out enough, and it aint all down to our centres, but live it looked to me Souths getting around us was mostly down to poor misses and reads from our centres.
We were outnumbered far too often for it to be just the fault of the edges. Our middle had a shocker as well. It was a poor team effort against a side in hot form.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Nah nothing poo.

it’s not like parra would of wanted to flex their muscles against a top 8 rival, and show the rest of the competition they plan on going deep into the semis.

it wasn’t important for parra to notch up a win and all but guaranteed a top 4 spot and home finals.

it wouldn’t of been a good test for parras structures against a quality team.

there wouldn’t of been an advantage going into the semis with a recent win over a top 8 team.

the players you claim that are too inexperienced wouldn’t of gained anything out of the win. Come to think about it, I guess a 38-0 reaming is more beneficial for the inexperienced players.

Also, it probably would be a bad thing leading to semis in some winning form.

Hell poo, if Thursdays game wasn’t important, we may as well forfeit a couple more games or just throw em. I mean BA is at the helm right, what’s there to be concerned about. He’s got some super secret moves he’s about to unleash and it’s very, very exciting.
If we're going to lose four or five games in a season does it really matter which ones we lose? All this shit about 'sending a message' is just wankery for the fans. Of course it would've been better to win but there are benefits from keeping your powder dry. The worst thing about the game, for both teams, is season ending injuries to key players.

Soto

Bench
Wouldn't go that far, GJ has been very good for the Warriors

Jenning rolls his sleeves up and goes full throttle when the chips are down
(that includes looking for work)

Sivo not so much, not in the last 6 or so weeks that ive seen
G Jennings has actually played very well at the Warriors. Not as explosive close to the line as Sivo but I'm certain he will make more metres coming out of our half. Absolutely goes looking for work.
Watch him when the Warriors play. I've been a keen observer of the Warriors matches to see how he and Alvaro go. Loaning them and getting match fitness will be beneficial for us because if we use when they come back they are ready to go.

Soto

Bench
We were outnumbered far too often for it to be just the fault of the edges. Our middle had a shocker as well. It was a poor team effort against a side in hot form.
Souths knew exactly how parra defend and exposed us big time. Adam Reynolds said as much after the game.
The inability to rectify this during the game and keep the same poor diagonally rushing in system is what irks the shit out of most parra supporters. Only because its been happening for years....
We have fixed the previous poor middle defence as we are much more compressed but its created massive problems on the edges.
Not once did I see souths be outnumbered by us when we were attacking. It felt at times we were 3 players short or they had 3 players too many.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
No no no. I don't think Moses was told that. Arthur said he told him that.
Coaches bullshit to the media. However, Moses is the senior half and a member of the leadership group (Drown isn't) so I'm sure he's been encouraged to take ownership. He probably does most of the talking, but again that doesn't make him the 'halfback'.
And if you think Moses is 'just our primary kicker' you're not looking too closely at the games. My point is: until we have someone (perhaps it's Dylan Brown when he matures) who can be the real organiser and director of the team on the field (because Moses will never be that) we won't go anywhere near a premiership.
Here's how their involvement compares in the 13 games they played together this year.

The first number is touches that don't end with a kick (i.e. runs and passes) and the second number is kicks:

Round 1
Brown: 33/1
Moses: 37/16

Round 2
Brown: 44/3
Moses: 44/17

Fairly even before the Covid break. But after it there is a clear increase in Brown's involvement and a corresponding decrease by Moses, although the latter is still doing most of the kicking:

Round 3
Brown: 66/3
Moses: 40/12

Round 4
Brown: 35/4
Moses: 24/15

Round 5
Brown: 35/3
Moses: 39/16

Round 6
Brown: 39/3
Moses: 38/10

Round 7 (Moses only played 34 minutes while Brown played 90)
Brown: 51/6
Moses: 15/4

Round 11
Brown: 42/3
Moses: 36/14

Round 12
Brown: 42/2
Moses: 27/20

Round 13
Brown: 26/2
Moses: 28/16

Round 14
Brown: 47/4
Moses: 42/15

Round 15
Brown: 56/0
Moses: 50/16

Round 16 (Brown only played 55 minutes but still had more runs/passes than Moses)
Brown: 41/1
Moses: 39/15

In 13 games, the only times Moses handled the ball more in non-kicking situations were rounds 1 (Bulldogs), 5 (Panthers) and 13 (Sharks), and these were all only marginally more (4, 4 and 2 extra touches). Meanwhile there were nine games where Brown handled the ball more in non-kicking situations. Taking out the game where Moses left the field early (because it's an unfair comparison), there were still eight, and in three of these he handled the ball significantly more. He even had more non-kick touches than Moses on the weekend despite only playing two thirds the number of minutes. It is clear that unless it's time to kick, Moses is taking a back seat to Dylan Brown. The stats back this up.

Avenger

Immortal

We were in the top 3 irrespective of the result. There will be far more important games this year. That’s irrefutable.

And I’ve already said that I wasn’t happy with the loss so that is just a ridiculous statement.

The fence sitter thing is just a rehash of a bad @Avenger line that he threw out in desperation when I was giving him shit about flipping and flopping.

One thing I am not shy of is giving an opinion which is why I probably annoy you. Even Avy was smart enough to back track from the fence sitter thing because he knew it was shit material.
Yeah but how much have I improved since then?

Anyway I was going to give you merkins an exclusive but now I’m not so sure.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Souths knew exactly how parra defend and exposed us big time. Adam Reynolds said as much after the game.
Every team knows how we defend. When you don't work as a team (starting in the middle) it's easy for the opposition to expose your flaws. Souths have conceded 272 points this year. Do you think teams don't know how they defend? One of our problems was desperation to get at Souths' rookie outside backs before we had earnt the right to shift the ball. If we had been patient we would have starved them of the ball and worn them down instead of constantly handing it over. They had 57% of the ball ffs. Of course they were going to get plenty of shots at us.
The inability to rectify this during the game and keep the same poor diagonally rushing in system is what irks the shit out of most parra supporters. Only because its been happening for years....
We have fixed the previous poor middle defence as we are much more compressed but its created massive problems on the edges.
Not once did I see souths be outnumbered by us when we were attacking. It felt at times we were 3 players short or they had 3 players too many.
That's because they were working harder, which got easier as the game went on as fatigue got hold of us. We need to hold the ball and front load our effort. That's how we were finishing over the top of teams early in the year. Not by trying to score off every half break.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

Circular logic is code for 'you keep shooting down my shit arguments'.

TheRam

Coach
What else could it possibly mean if one club is successful regardless of the coach, another club is unsuccessful regardless of the coach, and the same coach has wildly different fortunes at the two clubs? Do you have a better explanation or do you still think sacking someone when you're pissed off will solve the underlying problems?

Maybe the right coach will sort out those underlying problems.

Latest posts