What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 17 vs Cowboys

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Mc Crone, Graham, Latimore need to be brought back as they were cracking signings that were unfortunately killed by the former coach.
Yep, leave humour to the funny folk.

What side would you select for next week that would do better than tonight?

Not really, they will beat us. Fell over the line against the donkeys who were flogged tonight by the chooks, snatched defeat from the jaws of victory against the Titans, fact is we are very very ordinary.

I couldn't understand media reports that Dean Young got off to a good start with win over Broncs. Some even suggesting he has the makings of a good coach. It would have been more accurate to say, 'worrying signs for Dean Young as Dragons scrape past Broncos'.

Straight Shooter

Last edited:

ALSGI

Bench
The pressers are refreshing compared to Mcmerkin but I’m still not sold on Young and suspicious of his abilities - he’s been our defence/attacking coach for how many years? Same Dragons footy, same team selected (except forced outs), same bench rotation. Great to hear him say he was pissed off but he should have been pissed off after last weeks game. He should have been pissed off after most games for several years.

Well Dean was asked “do you make changes based on not performing tonight”. He said, good question, he wasn’t sure, he’ll give some thought, he’ll make a decision and let the players know early, Monday or Tuesday.

It’s a no brainer Dean.

Show us you’re serious about expectations and drop non performers. Let’s see what others have if you’re serious about the RedV for next year. Players need to know what is acceptable and what is not.

possm

Coach
Rava needs his knee looked at

We can't make the finals so get it fixed up

Start looking to the future it's going to take time to fix this mess up
1. Ramsey
2. Pereira
3. Lomax
4. Feagai
5. Feagai
6. Dufty
7. Clune
8. Kerr
9. Hunt
10. Lawrie
11. T Sims
12. Frizell
13. McInnes

14. Ellis
15. Blacker
16. Host
17. Ford

Vaughan out suspended, Sailor's defence is very poor, Ravalawa to get his knee treated in time for next season, Williame not ready, Norman needs to be dropped, Let's just see how these young guns perform and how Dufty goes at 6.

thebigredv

First Grade
Hunt/Norman
Hunt/Clune
Clune/Norman
No spark, no zip, no creativity.
First problem that needs to be addressed by the new coach.

All three can kick. That's about it. Agreed, first item on the agenda. Second is replacements for Frizell and DeBelin. Should have millions to spend once we see the backs of Aitken, Sims 1 & 2, Lawrie, Merrin etc.

Old Timer

Coach
Yep, leave humour to the funny folk.

What side would you select for next week that would do better than tonight?
A lame duck win now and then for you seems to keep you happy and means no requirement for constructive criticism and apparently justifies continued selection and no need for change in your team.

So just suck up the loss after all you had your couple of lame duck wins to crow about (against sides that have now had cricket scores posted against them) and you should get another lame duck win to crow about by round 8 next year.

possm

Coach
We have nothing to lose throw in the kids and tell them go out and play what’s in front of you.

Give them some confidence and even if things don’t work out persist with them and see what they are made of.

Like my coach in junior rugby use to tell me let that ball sing.
Last night our kicking game went to crap; back to the bad old days. Whey did we move from kicking deep into the corners and having good chasers down there right on top of the ball receiver? That would have been a good start.

Then why was Lomax and Ravalawa starved of good clean ball for most of the game. For some unknow reason the ball came out to the left most of the time and even when this showed not good results, it remained the same right through the game. Nothing to be gained, once the ball gets to Aitken he just hogs the ball and runs straight, hoping to run over the top of the opposition. Most of the ball Pereira got was from a kick or when taking the ball up from dummy half.

Finally, we always know when the Dragons are off their game and going to have a bad day. They show no line speed in defence and give away plenty of silly penalties.

Did Dufty make a line break or have a try assist last night? Just think about it, both Lomax and Dufty hardly featuring in our attack all night.

Young is no coach!

RedV Resurgence

Juniors
As I said whilst the others are on the paddock they control (lol) the game and Clune plays off the crumbs they throw him.

Hunt at 9 wanting to play 7 is never going to do him any favours.

Sure it wasn’t his best game but I believe he deserves the benefit of the doubt for the moment at least

The others have had plenty more chances than Clune

He still played better than Hunt and Norman in last nights game. He made more half chances and nearly scored - as he ran at the line and committed defenders. His worst game is still better than the other two best game.

ALso, I have been watching Hunts passing from dummy half and he regularly passes the ball behind the runners. This requires the runners to slow to catch the ball and then try and restart.

McInness needs to return to dummy half, Sailor to 6, Clunne to 7 and Hunt to 14(If McInness needs a break).

Old Timer

Coach
The pressers are refreshing compared to Mcmerkin but I’m still not sold on Young and suspicious of his abilities - he’s been our defence/attacking coach for how many years? Same Dragons footy, same team selected (except forced outs), same bench rotation. Great to hear him say he was pissed off but he should have been pissed off after last weeks game. He should have been pissed off after most games for several years.

Well Dean was asked “do you make changes based on not performing tonight”. He said, good question, he wasn’t sure, he’ll give some thought, he’ll make a decision and let the players know early, Monday or Tuesday.

It’s a no brainer Dean.

Show us you’re serious about expectations and drop non performers. Let’s see what others have if you’re serious about the RedV for next year. Players need to know what is acceptable and what is not.
Herein lies the problem.

The signs were apparent after lacklustre and overly enthused about lame duck victories against the Broncos and Eels.

We had 3 games against lower class team that don't present floggings to the opposition namely Broncos, Titans, Cowboys and those 3 games could have been ideally used for the younger players to be blooded and not all at once but judiciously.

Hopefully such games would have built some confidence and allowed them much needed experience.

We have now pissed 2 of those up against the wall and have only 1 supposedly easier game left and then we play 3 top notch sides.

We could have seen how the younger ones adapted over 3 games and then decided if they were ready for bigger challenges by possibly them playing in 1 of the 3 remaining games (not all at once but mixed in across those 3 games).

Now we only have 1 game left of the 3 easier ones and we are coming off a demoralising loss so not an ideal environment to now blood the youngsters.

Yes they could play this next game but to then drop them against the gun sides to ensure they are not smashed would be demoralising.

The opportunity has somewhat been lost with far greater downside by doing it now.

Lack of foresight IMO has yet again placed our younger squad on hold.

Old Timer

Coach
He still played better than Hunt and Norman in last nights game. He made more half chances and nearly scored - as he ran at the line and committed defenders. His worst game is still better than the other two best game.

ALso, I have been watching Hunts passing from dummy half and he regularly passes the ball behind the runners. This requires the runners to slow to catch the ball and then try and restart.

McInness needs to return to dummy half, Sailor to 6, Clunne to 7 and Hunt to 14(If McInness needs a break).
I am almost in total agreement but I would shaft Hunt completely and put BB on the bench for back up Cam.

Hunt is a big part of the problem and needs to go.

possm

Coach

Our forward pack was very ordinary last night and so there was not a platform made for our halves to weave their magic, however, Norman was back to his normal self. He should be shown the door asap.

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I am almost in total agreement but I would shaft Hunt completely and put BB on the bench for back up Cam.

Hunt is a big part of the problem and needs to go.

Agree OT

Hunt is a major part of the problem, moreso than Norman imo. Hunt's continued voicing he's a 7 revealds the truth behind his mindset. He almost goes out of his way to avoid Clune.

Shaft Hunt completely f^*k yeah, and tell him to wake up and support the team not his ego.

Bennet had no issue dropping him, now lets see Young show some balls to do the same.