What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fowards Impact.

Dragon David

First Grade
We need to be ready for offloads.

A few occasions last night Friz had the ball free looking for a runner
Hardly any second phase play. What in hell do they practise at training. I think they should have a full day of doing off loads at training - just practise and practise until it becomes second nature. Learn how to hold the ball with one hand but knowing when to hold onto it tightly to stop the ball from being dislodged or taken one on one, but learn this skill 100%.

possm

Coach
Either Griffin or Wane could keep Pangai Jr under control. I think that things have come to a point where he knows he is on his last chance so that gives me confidence that under a good experienced coach, he would pull his head in.

So if we could sign our new coach within the next two weeks and then sign Welch and Pangai Jr our prop rotation would look half decent. From there we just need to sign a replacement for Frizell as McInnes is a good replacement at lock for De Belin.

Forwards:
Vaughan
Hunt
Welch
T Sims

? - Who do you think we should recruit to replace Frizell?
McInnes

Pangai Jr
Kerr
Lawrie/Blacker
Ford/Host

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Either Griffin or Wane could keep Pangai Jr under control. I think that things have come to a point where he knows he is on his last chance so that gives me confidence that under a good experienced coach, he would pull his head in.

So if we could sign our new coach within the next two weeks and then sign Welch and Pangai Jr our prop rotation would look half decent. From there we just need to sign a replacement for Frizell as McInnes is a good replacement at lock for De Belin.

Forwards:
Vaughan
Hunt
Welch
T Sims
? - Who do you think we should recruit for this position?
McInnes

Pangai Jr
Kerr
Lawrie/Blacker
Ford/Host

It appears Welsh has knocked us back and Pengai is a at very long odds to join us even with an experienced coach at the helm.
Some reports are another forward isnt keen to stay with us as well.

be55

Juniors
Our forwards sit 13th and 14th in line breaks and off loads.
Lawrie has played all 16 games
He might be steady or reliable but
0 and 0 and 4 tackle breaks just isn't good enough for FG.View attachment 41422
Mate half the problem is that our forwards have been coached to play like that.I remember Mcgregor in an interview years ago talking about how we were going to play a forwards based game plan.That idiot thought we were just going to steam roll over the top of opposition forward packs.Our forwards weren't coached to try and stand in tackles and offload , our try to hit holes.Even our new coach probably will not be able to fix this overnight because it is so ingrained into their mindset.The players have been coached to run hard and get to the ground as quickly as possible and then get up quickly to play the ball and gain momentum that way.
We are a sinking ship at the moment.We hit the iceberg called Mcgregor years ago and have been taking on water ever since.Even our new coach will take a while to plug the holes and turn the ship around. At the moment our team is the Titanic,Mcgregor was the iceberg and us fans of the club are the people who were forced to jump overboard and freeze our nuts off in the cold water.

Saint52

Juniors
we had bench props, and second rows were poor
Although future i liked Ford
McInnes is not a lock
Look how Peachy played up the middle

Inisai Toga

Juniors
We need to be ready for offloads.

A few occasions last night Friz had the ball free looking for a runner
Exactly, why aren’t players ready to take advantage of this??? ; possibly because it’s not a habit and because the coaching philosophy for seven years has been centred on high completion rates and reducing errors and penalties. Well if thats all that coaching football teams is about you don’t need ex- footballers being paid close to 1 million to deliver that!

Last edited:

redVinme

Juniors
I would like to see us shoot for John Asiata and Bayley Sironen.

Good, honest players who will run and pass the footy as backrowers.

I agree. Not much around but they are both good options.

I think our biggest issue is that we don't have any point of difference. Almost all of our backs and all our forwards are they same type of tuck and run player. Any coach with a brain knows this and tells his players to tackle in 2s and 3s as there is no need to expect any second phase. This means they get longer in the ruck and leads to lack of momentum for us. The same obviously can't be said for us and the lack of consistent line speed and offloads from the other team means we often can't control the ruck and end up peddling backwards.

How we let luc go I'll never understand. I think we need a prop who can offload effectively as well as an edge. I think Ford looks like to promote the ball though.