What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fowards Impact.

Mjab

Juniors
Mate half the problem is that our forwards have been coached to play like that.I remember Mcgregor in an interview years ago talking about how we were going to play a forwards based game plan.That idiot thought we were just going to steam roll over the top of opposition forward packs.Our forwards weren't coached to try and stand in tackles and offload , our try to hit holes.Even our new coach probably will not be able to fix this overnight because it is so ingrained into their mindset.The players have been coached to run hard and get to the ground as quickly as possible and then get up quickly to play the ball and gain momentum that way.
We are a sinking ship at the moment.We hit the iceberg called Mcgregor years ago and have been taking on water ever since.Even our new coach will take a while to plug the holes and turn the ship around. At the moment our team is the Titanic,Mcgregor was the iceberg and us fans of the club are the people who were forced to jump overboard and freeze our nuts off in the cold water.
I agree. Not much around but they are both good options.

I think our biggest issue is that we don't have any point of difference. Almost all of our backs and all our forwards are they same type of tuck and run player. Any coach with a brain knows this and tells his players to tackle in 2s and 3s as there is no need to expect any second phase. This means they get longer in the ruck and leads to lack of momentum for us. The same obviously can't be said for us and the lack of consistent line speed and offloads from the other team means we often can't control the ruck and end up peddling backwards.

How we let luc go I'll never understand. I think we need a prop who can offload effectively as well as an edge. I think Ford looks like to promote the ball though.
Correct

those stats are truly depressing but not surprising

I know someone from another teams coaching staff
They love Saints
One off forward runs first 3 tackles
No attempt to pass or break line really
Never any 2 nd phase play , no one hanging around hoping for an offload
They safely send 2-3 gang tackles , easy to defend
Shit telegraphed play out back tackle 4
Shit meaningless kick tackle 5
Setting up for the next shit programmed play and never playing footy and what’s in front of them

called
DRAGONS footy

be55

Juniors
And Dean Young has been a big part of this problem too. He needs to go and if he gets the gig full time I can guarantee a wooden spoon or 2 will be coming
Don't worry mate Dean Young is a 100/1 chance of getting the head coach job for next year...Surely the club knows that their is a perception among the dragons fans that the coaching job always goes to someone in house and it's just jobs for the boys.This perception is even talked about in the media and the club would know this and be very wary of signing an ex player as our next coach after the Mcgregor debacle...

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Don't worry mate Dean Young is a 100/1 chance of getting the head coach job for next year...Surely the club knows that their is a perception among the dragons fans that the coaching job always goes to someone in house and it's just jobs for the boys.This perception is even talked about in the media and the club would know this and be very wary of signing an ex player as our next coach after the Mcgregor debacle...

I wish I had your confidence but the perception of jobs for the boys has been around since the joint venture formed, so just because the club knows there is a perceived problem doesn't mean they won't make Dean Young coach. I note that Ryan Webb in the podcast left the door open to select a coach without all the required attributes, if they could put a good support team around him.

Mjab

Juniors
I wish I had your confidence but the perception of jobs for the boys has been around since the joint venture formed, so just because the club knows there is a perceived problem doesn't mean they won't make Dean Young coach. I note that Ryan Webb in the podcast left the door open to select a coach without all the required attributes, if they could put a good support team around him.
Saints will say
Sorry couldn’t find anyone who actually wanted to coach us with the required attributes so we have gone for Dean Young

giboz71

First Grade
we had bench props, and second rows were poor
Although future i liked Ford
McInnes is not a lock
Look how Peachy played up the middle

We’ve had to put him there because he’s not an elite hooker. And we need one with the rule changes. Hunt come closest and that’s what he’s doing there.

Cam has done ok at 13 and his defence and line speed is still first class but he doesn’t help with punch up the middle. Much too light for that, unless you’re Radley or Cam Murray, can’t be playing at 13 when you’re that light. We’ve been missing that since JDB has been rubbed out. Ford is the guy we should be looking at 13.

Not really sure what to do with Cam moving forward?

be55

Juniors
You make a fair point that the club has known about this perception for a long time and have ignored it in the past.I would still be very surprised if they went with Young but the people running the club couldn't organise a root in a brothel so anything could happen...

possm

Coach
I would like to see us shoot for John Asiata and Bayley Sironen.

Good, honest players who will run and pass the footy as backrowers.
We have lost one UK international forward and two SOO forwards from our pack. We should try to recruit the same or higher.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
We’ve had to put him there because he’s not an elite hooker. And we need one with the rule changes. Hunt come closest and that’s what he’s doing there.

Cam has done ok at 13 and his defence and line speed is still first class but he doesn’t help with punch up the middle. Much too light for that, unless you’re Radley or Cam Murray, can’t be playing at 13 when you’re that light. We’ve been missing that since JDB has been rubbed out. Ford is the guy we should be looking at 13.

Not really sure what to do with Cam moving forward?
He’s fine as hooker, has an underrated running game too if a)Our forwards went forward creating quick play the balls & b)Our halves did their job so we didn’t need a playmaker at 9.

I'm Hornby

Juniors
We have lost one UK international forward and two SOO forwards from our pack. We should try to recruit the same or higher.

In an ideal world yes, mate. We can only sign players who are off contract, so they're the two I've picked that I think would add the most to our team.

Paying overs and subsiding salaries of big name players who have come across early /trading other players away isn't the way I want to see our cap managed, sorry.

SAP58

Juniors
We need to appoint a coach ASAP otherwise we will miss out on potential signings. We will struggle to sign players based on how we are playing unless we appoint a credible coach that can attract some quality signings.

boardlumps62

Juniors
If Todd Payten can get the Warriors winning and playing good footy he must be in the loop. Most likely going to Cowboys so we will have to wait until that job is filled. He doesn't get a mention as being interested in our job does he.

Runner

Juniors
Our forwards sit 13th and 14th in line breaks and off loads.
Lawrie has played all 16 games
He might be steady or reliable but
0 and 0 and 4 tackle breaks just isn't good enough for FG.View attachment 41422

What an alarming set of statistics. Laurie may give his all and I can’t fault his effort but unfortunately he is totally ineffectual given he has played 16 games. We desperately need to strengthen our go forward next year by finding a couple of quality strong forwards.