What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 16 vs Titans

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Titans & Warriors both showed marked improvement even in their losses quickly after a new coach sat in the chair because the message was different.

I am not sure that DY’s message is in fact any different to Mc Fookknuckle’s because it is apparent that the new coach’s desire and thought process re applying mathematics to that desire was exactly the same as before.

The notion we had a chance of making the semis was predicated on completely false hope rather than practical knowledge which said it was all pie in the sky stuff.

If the message of false hope without change still exists then that is all on the coach’s head.
When a coach is sacked, it's usually immediate and the caretaker coach is thrown into the deep end. The players often respond to this moment of crisis, often because they are suddenly playing to keep their positions.

No one likes to play against a team that has just sacked their coach.

But our Club likes to do things differently. McGregor was allowed to stick around for one more match. Yes, I know we won a couple of games but I wouldn't call it a marked improvement. No big broom in action, no positions under threat.

I wasn't entirely surprised when the players put the cue in the rack with five minutes to go.

qld redvee

Juniors
Guys
your thoughts on why Clune does not run the team ( in my opinion ) It seems as though he gets pushed out of the way or HAS to stay on the left hand side .. Norman has 1 or 2 little trots a game and just seems to throw a pass along the line and just keeps clune out of the game , and hunt needs to run from dummy half and pass to someone running to achieve a quick play the ball . and I dont know why Hunt needs a rest so carry a hooker on the bench - why not drop norman put hunt at 6 and tell him to run and give clune the team and mcinness back to hooker and strengthen the bench we are just so pedestrian in everything we do .. another thing that throws us off is having 3 kickers in the team its good for variety but who calls for it ??

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
LOL very funny Mus.
Considering McGregor was anointed by the Illawarra faction, your assertion is misguided..
The same geniuses that appointed him, kept flogging that dead horse for nearly seven years - including 2 dubious extensions.
Congratulations on yet another nonsensical post with no substance or credibility.
Huh? Why the salty insults?

I’m agreeing with your point that St George clearly have no idea.

Now that we finally have a CEO who isn’t also on the board of the Taj, we’re actually seeing positivechange in the coaching area.

But yet, somehow you turn this into another petty attack.

If you can’t talk footy without throwing in personal insults, the internet probably isn’t the place for you.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Guys
your thoughts on why Clune does not run the team ( in my opinion ) It seems as though he gets pushed out of the way or HAS to stay on the left hand side .. Norman has 1 or 2 little trots a game and just seems to throw a pass along the line and just keeps clune out of the game , and hunt needs to run from dummy half and pass to someone running to achieve a quick play the ball . and I dont know why Hunt needs a rest so carry a hooker on the bench - why not drop norman put hunt at 6 and tell him to run and give clune the team and mcinness back to hooker and strengthen the bench we are just so pedestrian in everything we do .. another thing that throws us off is having 3 kickers in the team its good for variety but who calls for it ??
Hear what your saying but can’t buy into Norman pushing Clune out of the way. If he wants to be a first grade half that influences games then he can’t be passive and polite. He’s got grab it and do it!

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
Huh? Why the salty insults?

I’m agreeing with your point that St George clearly have no idea.

Now that we finally have a CEO who isn’t also on the board of the Taj, we’re actually seeing positivechange in the coaching area.

But yet, somehow you turn this into another petty attack.

If you can’t talk footy without throwing in personal insults, the internet probably isn’t the place for you.
And that positive change is exactly what at this point in time?
Re the petty barbs you had a shot at the St G side of the club so don’t be disappointed or annoyed when people give a push back.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Guys

Agree, and whilst Hunt is in the 9 or on the field this will remain. Seem Clune numerous times call for the ball only to he ignored and the ball went to Norman or at times Dufty.
He has a great understanding with Host, not so with Aitken.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
And that positive change is exactly what at this point in time?
You didn’t hear? We sacked McGregor.

That’s a positive change, wouldn’t you say?

Re the petty barbs you had a shot at the St G side of the club so don’t be disappointed or annoyed when people give a push back.
I don’t think you’ve been following the thread.

Dennis was the one who said St George were terrible when it came to coaches.

I merely agreed with him. So I’m not sure why he felt the need to start getting personal for no reason whatsoever.

That being said, there is a clear difference between having a “shot” at something football related vs calling names and trying to abuse people.

It ruins the forum when people choose to start having a go at others rather than discussing the matter at hand.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Hear what your saying but can’t buy into Norman pushing Clune out of the way. If he wants to be a first grade half that influences games then he can’t be passive and polite. He’s got grab it and do it!
I’m not 100% sold on Clune, he will do a job but I can’t really see him steering a team to a premiership. Time will tell I guess.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
I’m not 100% sold on Clune, he will do a job but I can’t really see him steering a team to a premiership. Time will tell I guess.
Yes FCD, he’s got some silky skills and I really hope he develops more quickly; it’s unfortunate that he didn’t score on Friday night as it might have given home confidence to take the line on more. Despite the nice match up he has with Host, I thought the defence always knew that Host would always get the ball, so they were ready for him. At the moment I don’t think he’s (Clune) a ‘one to watch’ for the defensive line. If he can show that SOON he could have an effective all round game. He needs to because Hunt can and it’s still his preferred position, despite his effectiveness at dummy half. We need both the Hooker AND Halfback taking the line on more.

Last edited:

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Some people would have said the same about Chad Townsend, I know I certainly did. One of the more underrated halves running around
His skills are great, as good as anyone’s but I just think his size is impacting him. I know Sullivan is small also but is super fast and has great footwork. When he digs into the line he gets belted and his defence is not up to fg standard for me. Will it be someday? Maybe it will maybe it won’t but he’s 25-26 so there isn’t too much time to be playing on potential. I’m not writing him off I’m just saying that I can’t be sure he’s our long term option.

Walpole

Juniors
I get the impression Clune is trying not to step on too many toes and is perhaps overwhelmed (or over called at least) by the "names" around him (Hunt and Norman). Stating the obvious, but no doubt he'd benefit from a different 5/8, someone who runs the ball and can let Clune run the team. I'd like to see Clune and Sailor as the halves for the last four rounds to see if there's anything there but I guess we'll see what Young thinks on Tuesday afternoon.

Old Timer

Coach
You didn’t hear? We sacked McGregor.

That’s a positive change, wouldn’t

I don’t think you’ve been following the thread.

Dennis was the one who said St George were terrible when it came to coaches.

I merely agreed with him. So I’m not sure

There is no positivity in Mc Gregor being "allowed" to exit and then having Dean Young being "allowed to carry on" with no clear indication that we are appointing a well credentialed coach.

Positivity would have been sacking Mc Gregor with no last game and an announcement that Young would only be caretaker until "coach whatever his name" is due to put his feet under the desk on "00/00/00".

Obviously despite the earlier board meetings etc etc etc we had no ducks lined up and have merely limped into another quagmire with no resolution at hand.

Such uncertainty for the playing group is not in theirs or for that matter the fan bases interests.

I have followed not only this but many other threads and you love putting barbs and sly digs into the St G side of the JV and relish in looking for a reaction when you do so.

When you cop some push back you always come up with the same old hackneyed attacks and cliche's on people and cry foul.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
There is no positivity in Mc Gregor being "allowed" to exit and then having Dean Young being "allowed to carry on" with no clear indication that we are appointing a well credentialed coach.

Positivity would have been sacking Mc Gregor with no last game and an announcement that Young would only be caretaker until "coach whatever his name" is due to put his feet under the desk on "00/00/00".

Obviously despite the earlier board meetings etc etc etc we had no ducks lined up and have merely limped into another quagmire with no resolution at hand.

Such uncertainty for the playing group is not in theirs or for that matter the fan bases interests.
So you’re saying sacking Mary before finding a permanent replacement wasn’t a step in the right direction?

And even allowing him to coach that parra game, how well did we finally play?

That was a great win. Really lifted the spirits of many supporters.

I have followed not only this but many other threads and you love putting barbs and sly digs into the St G side of the JV and relish in looking for a reaction when you do so.

When you cop some push back you always come up with the same old hackneyed attacks and cliche's on people and cry foul.
I can only feel privileged at the dedication to follow me round as you do, the fact of the matter remains I wasn’t the one who said St George got it wrong in keeping Mary for so long.

I merely agreed with it & supported the positive change we’re already seeing with our new CEO.

Regardless of that, if anyone disagrees with a point of view, genuine discussion and thought changing discourse occurs when a different point of view is provided, supported by either facts or reasons why the person feels this is true, rather than reverting to name calling.

Would you not agree?

Old Timer

Coach
So you’re saying sacking Mary before finding a permanent replacement wasn’t a step in the right direction?

And even allowing him to coach that parra game, how well did we finally play?

That was a great win. Really lifted the spirits of many supporter

Would you not agree?
Sacking Mc Fookknuckle without already having a replacement lined up and a pre-prepared statement as to what "is" going to transpire was definitely unprofessional and shows total lack and disregard for professionalism preplanning.

It was not as if the eventual outcome and endgame required was not obvious so why is it that we didn't have the coach ready to go and why is it that we pussy foot around the issue of Young applying for the job?

You think the win against the Eels was great and that we played well and that shows how easily our supporter base is drawn into adulation of mediocrity.

Yes we but we didn't play well, and there was little to nothing to be enthused about so how that lifted our spirits is beyond me.

There is the difference between me and people like you in that I'll take the 2 points but call it for what it is where you will take the 2 points and think it is some sort of Renaissance.

Take the individual brilliance out and "we" didn't play very well at all.

Re people calling others names etc and casting dispersions upon them you love to cry foul but are a willing participant when it suits you so your actions are hypocritical and based on the false assumption that you are innocent.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
You think the win against the Eels was great and that we played well and that shows how easily our supporter base is drawn into adulation of mediocrity.

Yes we but we didn't play well, and there was little to nothing to be enthused about so how that lifted our spirits is beyond me.
How did we not play well against the Eels?

We beat on of the favourites to win the comp. A team who went on to keep the storm scoreless the following week.

People get excited when their team wins. It’s got nothing to do with the fan base being stupid.

Seeing your team win is why we watch this game week in, week out.

Re people calling others names etc and casting dispersions upon them you love to cry foul but are a willing participant when it suits you so your actions are hypocritical and based on the false assumption that you are innocent.
Again, whilst I’m flattered that you appear to be keeping notes about me, you seem to be missing the point that a discussion can be robust & different points of view debated without the need to jump straight to insults.

I’ve always been of the opinion that he who is the first to start name calling has run out of valid points so has lost the argument.

Latest posts