What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 16 vs Titans

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
CEO Willow
Director Muzby
Director Old Timer
Director OKB
I like this.

First point of order, make the alternate the Steelers jersey.

Second point of order, sign Bellamy for 2021 & get him to bring Cam Smith for his final season.

Third point of order: lol@souffs

Fourth point of order: Get me a crownie

Huh? Why the salty insults?

I’m agreeing with your point that St George clearly have no idea.

Now that we finally have a CEO who isn’t also on the board of the Taj, we’re actually seeing positivechange in the coaching area.

But yet, somehow you turn this into another petty attack.

If you can’t talk footy without throwing in personal insults, the internet probably isn’t the place for you.
There are no salty insults Mus.
Just calling out your comments as purposely misleading and with no basis.
You of all people shouldn't be so precious.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
There are no salty insults Mus.
Just calling out your comments as purposely misleading and with no basis.
You of all people shouldn't be so precious.
I’m confused.

So now you’re not saying St George had been getting it wrong with our coaching appointments?

Hear what your saying but can’t buy into Norman pushing Clune out of the way. If he wants to be a first grade half that influences games then he can’t be passive and polite. He’s got grab it and do it!
I agree with you but Norman is fighting for his career and reputation and is demanding more touches of the ball to Clune's detriment.
Unfortunately, he just isn't the payer we thought he was going to be when we signed him.
You can hear the Parramatta faithful cheering every sub standard performance that he trots out for us because they were able to offload him and inject a far more potent partner for Moses in the process - at a fraction of the cost.
Clune has a lot of potential but is a casualty of our weak coaching philosophy.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
I’m not 100% sold on Clune, he will do a job but I can’t really see him steering a team to a premiership. Time will tell I guess.
At his price he is tremendous value and would be a fine compliment for our million dollar recruits - who have not proven at all they are actually worthy of their paychecks.

Its not Clune thats the problem here, its the million dollar boys who arent stepping up every week.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
There is no positivity in Mc Gregor being "allowed" to exit and then having Dean Young being "allowed to carry on" with no clear indication that we are appointing a well credentialed coach.

Positivity would have been sacking Mc Gregor with no last game and an announcement that Young would only be caretaker until "coach whatever his name" is due to put his feet under the desk on "00/00/00".

Obviously despite the earlier board meetings etc etc etc we had no ducks lined up and have merely limped into another quagmire with no resolution at hand.

Such uncertainty for the playing group is not in theirs or for that matter the fan bases interests.

I have followed not only this but many other threads and you love putting barbs and sly digs into the St G side of the JV and relish in looking for a reaction when you do so.

When you cop some push back you always come up with the same old hackneyed attacks and cliche's on people and cry foul.
completely agree, even the final act of removing McGregor was managed like a schoolboy team - for all the reasons you point out. A professional club that knows what theyre doing and are all working in the one direction would have had a coach announcement made at the same time as the announcement of the 'resignation' - clear positive direction instead of unleashing more grey confusion.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
St. George faction did not appoint McGregor.
He was an Illawarra plant.
So your comment is not coherent.
See now this just sounds like a conspiracy theory.

The board would have to come up with the coaching appointment, and even if there was this bizarre factional standoff, the casting vote would have come from the chairman.

Who was BJ. A St George man.

Same as the first extension.

And then there was a second extension, with a different ownership and board makeup. So not sure how Illawarra had anything to do with it.

But I’m not here to play factional conspiracy theories, as McGregor was signed 3 times by different boards.

What is clear is that for the first time in the JV history we now have a CEO who isn’t also on the board of the Taj.

Good clear outside thinking. And one of the first things he’s achieved is removing McGregor.

Something many have been calling for, for years.

Our coaching decision is now being led by a professional.

I’m excited.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
A professional club that knows what theyre doing and are all working in the one direction would have had a coach announcement made at the same time as the announcement of the 'resignation' - clear positive direction instead of unleashing more grey confusion.
I can’t think of a club in history that has sacked a coach mid term and immediately had a replacement named.

Of the 5 coaches sacked this year, all have been replaced by interim coaches (pretty sure all 5 interim coaches were assistants too).

The only time I can recall teams having a replacement announced before a coach gets sacked is like our situation when Wayne signed - it was Brownie’s last year of his contract.

Agree, and whilst Hunt is in the 9 or on the field this will remain. Seem Clune numerous times call for the ball only to he ignored and the ball went to Norman or at times Dufty.
He has a great understanding with Host, not so with Aitken.
He also has a great understanding with Dufty.
Under utilized and has a lot of potential as an organizing half back.
While Norman is stinking up the joint, Clune will have to make his own luck during the game.

You didn’t hear? We sacked McGregor.

That’s a positive change, wouldn’t you say?

I don’t think you’ve been following the thread.

Dennis was the one who said St George were terrible when it came to coaches.

I merely agreed with him. So I’m not sure why he felt the need to start getting personal for no reason whatsoever.

That being said, there is a clear difference between having a “shot” at something football related vs calling names and trying to abuse people.

It ruins the forum when people choose to start having a go at others rather than discussing the matter at hand.
That's not what I said and, unlike you, how can you interpret my comments as as abusive and personal?
Hard to take you seriously at the best of times but your recent diatribe is laughable.

Last edited:
To be honest I blame Hunt here. He wants to be the 7 and if Clune is going well then that doesn’t happen. Norman is a bag of potatoes and only benefits from Hunt’s silliness. That’s my take on it, could be wrong but that’s my feeling
Our halves are not capable of ever winning a comp.
Sad but true so the faster we change them the better.
Hunt could retain the #9 jersey but Norman has to go.
If Hunt still wants to sook about playing halfback then he has to go too.
We have already wasted too much time and money on these two.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
That's not what I said
Yes it is:
Does anyone at St. George even bother about our coach's credentials?
McGregor was plucked from obscurity with no FG experience, even as an assistant.
Dean Young is even worse.
No apprenticeship except under the worst coach in the history of the club.
No FG experience and no other credentials to speak of.
Loved Dean Young as a player but both he and McGregor have never been qualified to coach FG.
Pretending that the last weeks of the 2020 are Dean's rehearsal for the big dance is sheer fantasy.
What a waste of 8 years.
The decision makers should hang their heads in shame.
And I’m agreeing with you - we need to be more professional than how we have been with coach selection.

So not sure why you want to then carry on calling names and trying to belittle someone who agrees with you.
how can you interpret my comments as as abusive and personal?
Hard to take you seriously at the best of time but your recent diatribe is laughable.
See, again you’re getting personal.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
I agree with you but Norman is fighting for his career and reputation and is demanding more touches of the ball to Clune's detriment.
Unfortunately, he just isn't the payer we thought he was going to be when we signed him.
You can hear the Parramatta faithful cheering every sub standard performance that he trots out for us because they were able to offload him and inject a far more potent partner for Moses in the process - at a fraction of the cost.
Clune has a lot of potential but is a casualty of our weak coaching philosophy.
Maybe, and maybe Norman was a quick fix for Widdop. He'd be going alright around a pack that was going forward; he's always been an "icing on the cake" type player. For what it's worth, i don't think Moses is that much different Dennis, he also needs a forward pack to dominate to shine, or he can make some silly mistakes through frustration or trying too hard. When he (Norman) did shine at Parramatta was when he was playing halfback and Cuthbertson was five-eighth and their forwards were dominating. Interestingly, Norman has never played halfback for us. But we have history trying to change our five-eighths into something they aren't. In my opinion, Trent Barrett despite his wonderful running game and defensive talents was never a natural organising five-eighth and always struggled in that role, but we persisted (until he won the Dally M as a half back).

My main point is irrespective of Norman, Clune has got to push in and make it happen and he's not! If he gets more outcomes like he did the other night, (nearly scoring) then they'll give him the ball. He's fighting for his career and reputation too!

Last edited:

hazzbeen

Bench
Maybe, and maybe Norman was a quick fix for Widdop. He'd be going alright around a pack that was going forward; he's always been an "icing on the cake" type player. For what it's worth, i don't think Moses is that much different Dennis, he also needs a forward pack to dominate to shine, or he can make some silly mistakes through frustration or trying too hard. When he (Norman) did shine at Parramatta was when he was playing halfback and Cuthbertson was five-eighth and their forwards were dominating. Interestingly, Norman has never played halfback for us. But we have history trying to change our five-eighths into something they aren't. In my opinion, Trent Barrett despite his wonderful running game and defensive talents was never a natural organising five-eighth and always struggled in that role, but we persisted (until he won the Dally M as a half back).

My main point is irrespective of Norman, Clune has got to push in and make it happen and he's not! If he gets more outcomes like he did the other night, (nearly scoring) then they'll give him the ball. He's fighting for his career and reputation too!
Agree with most mate but the part you got wrong is Moses does try too hard at times , where Norman doesn't have that problem , he doesn't try at all ..... Show Pony .....

Lovemedragons

Juniors
I can’t think of a club in history that has sacked a coach mid term and immediately had a replacement named.

Of the 5 coaches sacked this year, all have been replaced by interim coaches (pretty sure all 5 interim coaches were assistants too).

The only time I can recall teams having a replacement announced before a coach gets sacked is like our situation when Wayne signed - it was Brownie’s last year of his contract.
yep that was done perfectly and led to a premiership within 2 years.