What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 17 Penrith V Brisvegas.

Kilkenny

Coach
The NRL draw will always be imperfect given there are to many teams to allow a true home and away competition. It is what it is and this season has been even more unique, maybe we have gained an advantage. Buzz has agendas which detracts from his credibility.

Whino

Bench
Panthers defy setbacks to have fingertips on first minor premiership since 2003
By
Troy Dodds
-
August 31, 2020, 16:00

Penrith seem destined to secure their first minor premiership in 17 years despite playing just six games at Panthers Stadium this year.

It’s the fewest home matches the side has played at Panthers Stadium in a season after COVID-19 restrictions forced the side to play home games at Campbelltown Stadium and Kogarah Oval.

Ivan Cleary’s side played their first home game of the year against the Roosters at Panthers Stadium but did not return until July 19 against the Cowboys.

Incredibly, the side won all matches at its temporary homes.

And while the revised NRL competition changed the amount of travel teams undertook in a season, the Panthers will spend plenty of time on the road over the next month.

The side will travel to Brisbane this week to take on the Broncos and Townsville in a fortnight to play the Cowboys.
By the end of the season they would have travelled to Queensland more than top four rivals Parramatta and the same amount of times as the Roosters.

What makes the likely minor premiership even more impressive is that Penrith has achieved it despite one of the youngest rosters in the competition, and while dealing with injury and suspension.

Fullback Dylan Edwards missed half the season through injury while Brian To’o has only just returned from an extended lay-off. Dean Whare remains out of the side and new recruit Kurt Capewell has struggled to get on the field.

Meantime Api Koroisau, Zane Tetevano, Charlie Staines and Viliame Kikau have all had injury setbacks through the season.

Halfback Nathan Cleary missed the first two games back from lockdown after the TikTok fiasco while Kikau was suspended for last week’s match against Wests Tigers.
https://westernweekender.com.au/202...ertips-on-first-minor-premiership-since-2003/

Original Name

Juniors
Maybe it is rational, or maybe it is some form of psychological injury. I am possibly not the only Panthers fan who suffers from it? But this game against Brisbane makes me incredibly nervous. More so than many of our past games. In years gone by this would be precisely the game we lose. It has all the hallmarks

1. We are having the best season in 17 years, premiership favourites. Riding high on a wave of confidence.
2. Broncos are the crappest team in the competition by a long way. Everyone expects us to win just by showing up.

In years gone by this is the game we would definitely lose. You could probably retire early taking these kinds of bets. What makes it worse we will probably lose, pick up a few injuries and have the wheels fall off.

Please tell me I just need counselling or something.
Since the restart of the season I've seen fans of Dragons, Tigers, Raiders, Knights, Sharks, Souths, Eels all say this when their teams versed Brisbane. But the only team the Broncos have beaten since the restart is the side that on paper they're better on paper on, the Dogs.

WestyLife

First Grade
Panthers defy setbacks to have fingertips on first minor premiership since 2003
By
Troy Dodds
-
August 31, 2020, 16:00

Penrith seem destined to secure their first minor premiership in 17 years despite playing just six games at Panthers Stadium this year.

It’s the fewest home matches the side has played at Panthers Stadium in a season after COVID-19 restrictions forced the side to play home games at Campbelltown Stadium and Kogarah Oval.

Ivan Cleary’s side played their first home game of the year against the Roosters at Panthers Stadium but did not return until July 19 against the Cowboys.

Incredibly, the side won all matches at its temporary homes.

And while the revised NRL competition changed the amount of travel teams undertook in a season, the Panthers will spend plenty of time on the road over the next month.

The side will travel to Brisbane this week to take on the Broncos and Townsville in a fortnight to play the Cowboys.
By the end of the season they would have travelled to Queensland more than top four rivals Parramatta and the same amount of times as the Roosters.

What makes the likely minor premiership even more impressive is that Penrith has achieved it despite one of the youngest rosters in the competition, and while dealing with injury and suspension.

Fullback Dylan Edwards missed half the season through injury while Brian To’o has only just returned from an extended lay-off. Dean Whare remains out of the side and new recruit Kurt Capewell has struggled to get on the field.

Meantime Api Koroisau, Zane Tetevano, Charlie Staines and Viliame Kikau have all had injury setbacks through the season.

Halfback Nathan Cleary missed the first two games back from lockdown after the TikTok fiasco while Kikau was suspended for last week’s match against Wests Tigers.
https://westernweekender.com.au/202...ertips-on-first-minor-premiership-since-2003/

Yeah Buzz timed his article just right because it's useless in two weeks. Also glad he corrected the injury thing which was a half truth at best from Buzz.

LukeLewis3

Juniors
Maybe it is rational, or maybe it is some form of psychological injury. I am possibly not the only Panthers fan who suffers from it? But this game against Brisbane makes me incredibly nervous. More so than many of our past games. In years gone by this would be precisely the game we lose. It has all the hallmarks

1. We are having the best season in 17 years, premiership favourites. Riding high on a wave of confidence.
2. Broncos are the crappest team in the competition by a long way. Everyone expects us to win just by showing up.

In years gone by this is the game we would definitely lose. You could probably retire early taking these kinds of bets. What makes it worse we will probably lose, pick up a few injuries and have the wheels fall off.

The 50-18 result in 2018 derailed our season in many ways.

Jane Murray

Bench
The NRL draw will always be imperfect given there are to many teams to allow a true home and away competition. It is what it is and this season has been even more unique, maybe we have gained an advantage. Buzz has agendas which detracts from his credibility.

The Eels had many home ground games this season, and the same applies to the West Tigers.

age.s

First Grade

I think we all need counselling.

My only comfort is I've been feeling like this pretty much every game since like round 8. "Surely this will be the week things return to normal" I tell myself. Over and over.

I'm starting to believe and it terrifies me.

Panther Pete

Juniors

My only comfort is I've been feeling like this pretty much every game since like round 8. "Surely this will be the week things return to normal" I tell myself. Over and over.

I am the same. I have this terrible feeling we will go the remainder of the regular season without losing a game and then lose the first two semi’s.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade

A am the same. My angina plays up something fierce during games. (I have to watch games back numerous times, because I am hiding my face and eyes with finger)

I can hardly drink without slopping it everywhere too. My hands are shaking so badly. This is what following Penrith has done to me.

Last edited:

The_Frog

First Grade
A am the same. My angina plays up something fierce during games. (I have to watch them back numerous times, because I am hiding my face and eyes with finger)

I can hardly drink without slopping it everywhere too. My hands are shaking so badly. This is what following Penrith has done to me.
Most games I'm nervous until we're unbeatable but against the Tigers I was very confident the Tigers would not score any more points from about 15 minutes into the second half.

GoldCoastPather

Juniors
Most games I'm nervous until we're unbeatable but against the Tigers I was very confident the Tigers would not score any more points from about 15 minutes into the second half.
Wow we really are fans. We share these nervous fears. So so good this year to see the team doing so well. Go you mighty Panthers!!!!

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade

I wonder could league unlimited provide therapy for us all.

If so, I'm in.

Pomoz

Bench

As the great John Cleese said in the film Clockwork:

“It's not the despair, Laura. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand.”

ACTPanthers

Bench
It’s definitely true, it can be hard at times to be a Panthers fan.

I’ve said it before, in other posts. We’re all - even the “smug” ones - waiting for the wheels to fall off, the players to go back to the tried and true practice of falling apart at crucial moments, and for the inevitable capitulation that will lead to yet another “rebuild” (calling to arms all the trolls with their 5-Year-Plan chant).

There’s a definite 2003 feel to the season, I’ll admit, but the Panthers fan in me just can’t let myself be confident. I’ve tried, believe me. Bantering with Raiders fans at work, acting as though I already have my 2020 Premiers t-shirt on pre-order, but it’s all an act. Secretly (although I’m sure they suspect it) I’m riddled with fear and uncertainty. A deep and almost evolutionary belief that it can’t continue. At some point soon, the reality of disappointment will come crashing down upon us, leaving our trust in shatters yet again...

Who knows though? Maybe this year will be different. I certainly hope so. But until that final siren sounds, to signal the end of a victorious Grand Final for the Penrith Panthers, I’ll always hold a little bit of doubt, just a little bit, that it’ll all come to end in a spectacularly humiliating fashion.

/End rant :)

forby

Juniors
Parramatta play 12 games at Bankwest this year.
The Cowboys play 10 games at their ground.
The whiners from ACT play 8 at GIO.
Penrith play just 6 at home.

Latest posts