What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

AJB1102

First Grade
PVL seems pretty keen on post season Origin and just waiting for the ratings to justify a permanent shift.

"I'm waiting for Origin to rate the roof off. Then I'll walk into Hugh's office and ask for 30% more. I hope you're watching, Hugh."

taipan

Referee
Seven had no qualms in showing the RLWC.And they have always had an inkling or liking for the SOO series.
it's the ad revenue from the NRL premiership despite lower current FTA ratings(thank you Broncos) that 7 would also be interested in.
As those in the media have stated,7 coming in either to sniff around or be a genuine bidder, creates competitive tension that is needed in tough and good times.

V"landys noted which our mate in the west ignored, that provided all games are completed this year, the NRL will be in a better financial position than the other codes.
Remembering the AFL needed to borrow from the NAB, whereas the NRL did not need the loan from the Poms.But, but ,the AFL are the Einsteins of financial resources.

The only negative is the poor performance from the Broncos ,and the AFL having the G/F and possibly the Lions in Brisbane staged G/F. And the Qld Govt putting more money into developing AFL in Qld.

And he again pushed the idea of another Brisbane side, once the Covid crap was over with.But it must be sustainable.
The thought of Gallop being in charge now and News owning 50% of the NRL ,would cause me to tremble with anxiety.

tri_colours

Juniors
Earlier in the year, at the outset of the bidding It was mentioned that C7 was keen to get a greater share of the Sydney and Qld markets.

Read a few months back that C10 were not renewing there race car contract and would save $250, May mean nothing. Though it may mean there interested in something else.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
Marks is a dunce. You reap what you sow with those terrible negotiation skills Hugh. Nein won't retain the rights with him at the helm.

taipan

Referee
Evidence?

The AFL have stated so themselves ,the need to utilise some of the NAB loan.In part to pay for the accommodation for the AFL teams that have moved to Brisbane.Bearing in mind it was stated (by a Melbourne journo)also 200 AFL staff ,club execs and family will be moving to the GC very soon.Your mat Gil has also publicly stated the huge cost of this virus and not having the G operative.Anyone with half a brain can understand that.

V'landys/News have stated the NRL did not need the Pommy loan in the final washout.I know that upsets you.V'Landys is not going to tell a blatant lie on TV.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The AFL have stated so themselves ,the need to utilise some of the NAB loan.In part to pay for the accommodation for the AFL teams that have moved to Brisbane.Bearing in mind it was stated (by a Melbourne journo)also 200 AFL staff ,club execs and family will be moving to the GC very soon.Your mat Gil has also publicly stated the huge cost of this virus and not having the G operative.Anyone with half a brain can understand that.

V'landys/News have stated the NRL did not need the Pommy loan in the final washout.I know that upsets you.V'Landys is not going to tell a blatant lie on TV.

links?

taipan

Referee

Ch9 100% Footy Monday night for a starter when V'Landys stated the NRL would be in the best position financially end of year ,provided all games are played.
.Melbourne Age for another on cost of moving people etc to Qld.You've got a keyboard and google learn how to use them.
The Age on 30th March"The AFL plans too use a hefty amount of the $600m line of credit".

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ch9 100% Footy Monday night for a starter when V'Landys stated the NRL would be in the best position financially end of year ,provided all games are played.
.Melbourne Age for another on cost of moving people etc to Qld.You've got a keyboard and google learn how to use them.
The Age on 30th March"The AFL plans too use a hefty amount of the $600m line of credit".

I’ve googled and can find no commentary from either sport on how much of their respective lines of credit they have used. But I’m sure your right lol.

colly

Juniors

colly

Juniors
AFL takes out $500 million loan to complete the season........
AFL Reports $400 LOSS 2020 report......

https://www.austadiums.com/news/news.php?id=813

Quotes.
The AFL is expected to report a $400 million loss of income this year due to COVID-19 and the league used the $1 billion stadium asset to secure a $500 million loan in March to secure the short-term future of the league and continue the 2020 season.

Further on.....
https://www.triplem.com.au/story/da...the-afl-secured-to-keep-the-game-alive-159052

Quotes...

AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan assured again on Monday that the loan was still due to the "most serious threat to our game in our history", and that the game was still set to lose hundreds of millions of dollars this year.

Barrett said the figure was "$600 million or thereabouts".

"It's a straight loan," he said. "It's going to have to be paid back!"

taipan

Referee
I’ve googled and can find no commentary from either sport on how much of their respective lines of credit they have used. But I’m sure your right lol.

FMD seriously,lolz. Find a 10 year old kid nearby he'll help .
The Age
March 30 The AFL plans to use a hefty amount of the $600m line of credit.
That is a Vic paper, not some ding bat journo from Sydney.
The Australian noted the $600m loan deal saved the AFL.

The AFL will be sending 400 people just from officialdom and wives to Qld for the G/F announcement..All in the papers.
On the Courier Mail journos doing a tV Interview complained about all these AFL execs and wives going to Qld ,when people living over the border can't get in for hospital.

Another thing to note .The NRL relies on TV revenue more than bums on seats, and they renegotiated their Tv deals for the 2020/2022 seasons.Yes at a reduced price but so did the AFL.

V'landys has stated on TV they in the end did not use the $250m Loan.You want me to send you a tape every time he opens his gob ?

The AFL relies far less on TV revenue and needs ticket sales to support bigger squads and football personnel.And they are not getting bums on seats ,particularly at the G.Huge sums are being lost.

The NRL only have to cover in the main accommodation etc for the Warriors at the CC.The AFL are paying a fortune for the bubbles in Qld and WA of their various clubs.

One doesn't have to be Luigi the Incredible to understand the AFL is having to outlay a darn side more.
Plus throw in the NRL starting two weeks earlier.That's an extra 2 weeks income.

Memo.I'm certain you haven't a clue as to costs of clubs in either code.But of course you're a Johnny come lately to Oz,and you know more than people who have spent their whole lives here and following the game here .
I'd rely on your advice as I would on Eddie McGuire's biased commentary, but of course you know all the AFL workings and rugby league since 1908.

Last edited:

colly

Juniors

Taipan this would be one of the best history of the game story...and Vlandy.. packer and (the devil himself)
Fitzgibbon ? Na !
A certain family that now resides in New York and whose media empire is the- hugggest

https://www.themonthly.com.au/issue/2020/august/1596204000/lech-blaine/art-class-war#mtr

Best parts - shakedown of Pell and The catholic church for 42 mill.
A big 'f**k you' to the establishment south of the border.
Master troll of FitzGibbon by wanting to put the Everest race on the Opera House. Millions of $'s in free publicity.

Jack Gibson and Packer... Don't agree with everything said but being old enough to see for myself what really happened, especially about the class warfare.

https://www.themonthly.com.au/issue/2020/august/1596204000/lech-blaine/art-class-war#mtr

Bulldog2020

Juniors
When the free to air rights are up for renewal, how much of the content on Nine needs to remain on free to air to satisfy the anti siphoning legislation?

Could the Thursday night game for example, be sold exclusively to Fox or as a cheap way for another entity like YouTube to trial Rugby League?

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Taipan this would be one of the best history of the game story...and Vlandy.. packer and (the devil himself)
Fitzgibbon ? Na !
A certain family that now resides in New York and whose media empire is the- hugggest

Best parts - shakedown of Pell and The catholic church for 42 mill.
A big 'f**k you' to the establishment south of the border.
Master troll of FitzGibbon by wanting to put the Everest race on the Opera House. Millions of $'s in free publicity.

Jack Gibson and Packer... Don't agree with everything said but being old enough to see for myself what really happened, especially about the class warfare.

https://forums.leagueunlimited.com/threads/the-art-of-class-war-the-monthly-article.481468/

franklin2323

Immortal
When the free to air rights are up for renewal, how much of the content on Nine needs to remain on free to air to satisfy the anti siphoning legislation?

Could the Thursday night game for example, be sold exclusively to Fox or as a cheap way for another entity like YouTube to trial Rugby League?

Nothing stopping everything going all on Fox. It would only take a stroke of a pen BUT that would see the game die.

FTA is a must for those casual fans. So 3 games is the bare minimum imo

Perth Red

Post Whore

We've done the deal with Fox, either its on or isnt. I suspect it isnt as the value of FTA needs to be maintained it is the second highest value FTA game after the Friday night game. I hope the Fox deal allows NRL to sell a simucast Saturday night game on FTA, but I doubt that also seeing as Fox want exclusivity. Crazy that we dont have a FTA game on a Saturday night when it is the biggest viewing audience night.