What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

Perth Red

Post Whore
FMD seriously,lolz. Find a 10 year old kid nearby he'll help .
The Age
March 30 The AFL plans to use a hefty amount of the $600m line of credit.
That is a Vic paper, not some ding bat journo from Sydney.
The Australian noted the $600m loan deal saved the AFL.

The AFL will be sending 400 people just from officialdom and wives to Qld for the G/F announcement..All in the papers.
On the Courier Mail journos doing a tV Interview complained about all these AFL execs and wives going to Qld ,when people living over the border can't get in for hospital.

Another thing to note .The NRL relies on TV revenue more than bums on seats, and they renegotiated their Tv deals for the 2020/2022 seasons.Yes at a reduced price but so did the AFL.

V'landys has stated on TV they in the end did not use the $250m Loan.You want me to send you a tape every time he opens his gob ?

The AFL relies far less on TV revenue and needs ticket sales to support bigger squads and football personnel.And they are not getting bums on seats ,particularly at the G.Huge sums are being lost.

The NRL only have to cover in the main accommodation etc for the Warriors at the CC.The AFL are paying a fortune for the bubbles in Qld and WA of their various clubs.

One doesn't have to be Luigi the Incredible to understand the AFL is having to outlay a darn side more.
Plus throw in the NRL starting two weeks earlier.That's an extra 2 weeks income.

Memo.I'm certain you haven't a clue as to costs of clubs in either code.But of course you're a Johnny come lately to Oz,and you know more than people who have spent their whole lives here and following the game here .
I'd rely on your advice as I would on Eddie McGuire's biased commentary, but of course you know all the AFL workings and rugby league since 1908.

I'll call it in March next year when we see the annual reports and can see exactly what state each game is in. Till then its all just supposition.

taipan

Referee
Taipan this would be one of the best history of the game story...and Vlandy.. packer and (the devil himself)
Fitzgibbon ? Na !
A certain family that now resides in New York and whose media empire is the- hugggest

https://www.themonthly.com.au/issue/2020/august/1596204000/lech-blaine/art-class-war#mtr

Best parts - shakedown of Pell and The catholic church for 42 mill.
A big 'f**k you' to the establishment south of the border.
Master troll of FitzGibbon by wanting to put the Everest race on the Opera House. Millions of $'s in free publicity.

Jack Gibson and Packer... Don't agree with everything said but being old enough to see for myself what really happened, especially about the class warfare.

https://www.themonthly.com.au/issue/2020/august/1596204000/lech-blaine/art-class-war#mtr

The comment made by Tony Shepherd Chairman of the GWS mob noted when V'Landys joined the NRL.I have warned the AFL the NRL now have on board a leader, who is going to ensure his codes a great competitor against us.He knows V'Landys.
Shpeherd intimated but naturally didn't;t spell it out, that previous NRL leaders were not exactly the threatening competitor types.

taipan

Referee
I'll call it in March next year when we see the annual reports and can see exactly what state each game is in. Till then its all just supposition.

The $400m loss expected by the AFL mentioned in
The Fin Review
Sportbusiness.com. 5th June 20
ausleisure.com.au
is hardly supposition.

And I cite the Fin Review 24/8/20
Brisbane set to pinch Melbourne's Grand Final
"AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan is also under fire from the United Services Union after reportedly using a video call from his carrot announce hundreds of jobs would be lost by November as the AFL faces a

$400m LOSS."

But it's all supposition apparently because the AFL and its extremely brilliant CEPO wouldn't let a loss like this happen.
I mean every boss, announces staff getting the flick from their luxury vehicle via video link.So flipping classy NOT.

As far as the NRL is concerned according to V"lands stated they didn't use the Line of Credit.Pretty straight forward response in my book.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Of course it is because it hasnt happened yet and we wont know if it has until the official financial annual report comes out, and is it a loss or reduction in revenue as Ive seen it mentioned in both contexts, the two are very different. Just like we dont know what the impact on NRL revenue has been and how that translates to the size of the annual loss. AFL had a revenue of $793mill last year, it may be they are better able to absorb the drop in revenue through their cost cutting given their $200mill cash asset and higher revenue base. It may be that the lower reliance on crowd revenue means NRLs significant revenue loss wont be as impacting, or it may be given the NRLs revenue base was nearly $300mill less means a harder impact. No one knows what each codes Tv contract drops are for sure, that will be a critical factor in losses this year. Who knows, Its just guess work and you know it until we see the audited accounts.

He drives a carrot? That's novel.

What a f**king hypocrite you are .
Supposition ..lol
Wait till next year .
Why then didn't you practice this when the tv deal was being negotiated ?
You took every bit of negative bullshit printed by Ch9/SMH as gospel & ranted & you still do about How PVL sold us out cheaply .
Yet there was no official figures released .

Nerd

Bench
The finances of the AFL would be taking a hammering this year. Going from having large game day crowds to having virtually zero crowds in Melbourne this year will hurt them much more than the NRL with it's smaller reliance on crowds. Having to move the entire comp to Queensland will be costing a motza and the GF at the Gabba will be forgotten up here 2 days after it happens.

I'll bet that $400 million loss will be a conservative figure and it will be interesting going forward if they can't negotiate a new deal sooner rather than later with Fox who have obviously for the first time dug their heels in against the wishes of the AFL.

taipan

Referee
Of course it is because it hasnt happened yet and we wont know if it has until the official financial annual report comes out, and is it a loss or reduction in revenue as Ive seen it mentioned in both contexts, the two are very different. Just like we dont know what the impact on NRL revenue has been and how that translates to the size of the annual loss. AFL had a revenue of $793mill last year, it may be they are better able to absorb the drop in revenue through their cost cutting given their $200mill cash asset and higher revenue base. It may be that the lower reliance on crowd revenue means NRLs significant revenue loss wont be as impacting, or it may be given the NRLs revenue base was nearly $300mill less means a harder impact. No one knows what each codes Tv contract drops are for sure, that will be a critical factor in losses this year. Who knows, Its just guess work and you know it until we see the audited accounts.

He drives a carrot? That's novel.

Of course it "HASN'T" yet(I too can play the typo Nazi).
So what, their code is preparing for such a loss, you of course in typical fashion will conjure up a surplus .The facts are they needed repeat needed the Loan ,despite all their money on hand.They are the wealthiest code, yet even they were caught with their pants down by COVID, which you lack the intestinal fortitude to admit.
Whatever it is ,the pandemic and its effects have eaten into their bloated admin and assets. Else they wouldn't be cutting their workforce by 20%,which you still won't admit.

In fact what we do know ,and V'Landys has stated so on TV, that he didn't need the Line of Credit of $250m.I know you can't enjoy that comment.

Whatever they can or can't do, we know this ,they will be utilising part of their Loan that has been admitted.The NRL will not.Yet you can't see a plus for rugby league on that ,so be it.
I've spelt out my reasoning, that the bulk of NRL revenue is TV,a fair whack of AFL's is bums on seats.The pandemic has prevented the latter.That's why I'm amazed the AFL didn't at least try or have the ability to get their comp up and running on 28th May.
Yet a little Uni Educated Greek guy who tells it like it is, and gets off his a*se and does something was able to get his comp running ,by being pro-active and working with Govt and his Apollo team.

Sorry bud, but on this point NRL left the AFL and other codes in their wake, and you can giggle about it being two weeks only ,but when you are talking tens of millions of dollars, with all the virus crap going on ,it's no mean feat.
He may as well have driven a carrot Mr Typo, the way he handled the retrenchment of 20% of his staff.That is disgraceful ,amateurish and plain lacking in humanity for those employees.Too many years of playing polo perhaps.

Last edited:

tri_colours

Juniors
Of course it "HASN'T" yet(I too can play the typo Nazi).
So what, their code is preparing for such a loss, you of course in typical fashion will conjure up a surplus .The facts are they needed repeat needed the Loan ,despite all their money on hand.They are the wealthiest code, yet even they were caught with their pants down by COVID, which you lack the intestinal fortitude to admit.
Whatever it is ,the pandemic and its effects have eaten into their bloated admin and assets. Else they wouldn't be cutting their workforce by 20%,which you still won't admit.

In fact what we do know ,and V'Landys has stated so on TV, that he didn't need the Line of Credit of $250m.I know you can't enjoy that comment.

Whatever they can or can't do, we know this ,they will be utilising part of their Loan that has been admitted.The NRL will not.Yet you can't see a plus for rugby league on that ,so be it.
I've spelt out my reasoning, that the bulk of NRL revenue is TV,a fair whack of AFL's is bums on seats.The pandemic has prevented the latter.That's why I'm amazed the AFL didn't at least try or have the ability to get their comp up and running on 28th May.
Yet a little Uni Educated Greek guy whop tells it like it is, and gets off his a*se and does something was able to get his comp running ,by being pro-active and working with Govt and his Apollo team.

Sorry bud, but on this point NRL left the AFL and other codes in their wake, and you can giggle about it being two weeks only ,but when you are talking tens of millions of dollars, with all the virus crap going on ,it's no mean feat.
He may as well have driven a carrot Mr Typo, the way he handled the retrenchment of 20% of his staff.That is disgraceful ,amateurish and plain lacking in humanity for those employees.Too many years of playing polo perhaps.

Perth Red

Post Whore
What a f**king hypocrite you are .
Supposition ..lol
Wait till next year .
Why then didn't you practice this when the tv deal was being negotiated ?
You took every bit of negative bullshit printed by Ch9/SMH as gospel & ranted & you still do about How PVL sold us out cheaply .
Yet there was no official figures released .

you might like to go back and and re read my posts lol I’ve always said until we see the annual reports we won’t know who got what. I made opinion on guesswork by the media for both nrl and afl but always as a point of unknown. But hey haters gonna hate right?

Steel Saints

Juniors
If the NRL get through this Covid period without using any form of loan, then they would've done an outstanding job. It's one thing to negotiate a cut price discounted tv deal, and its another to use a line of credit, where it could take years to pay it off.

And the season has flown by. There is only four regular rounds to go. Yes it's a shotened season, but it feels like yesterday where the NRL announced the May 28 date.

The finances of the AFL would be taking a hammering this year. Going from having large game day crowds to having virtually zero crowds in Melbourne this year will hurt them much more than the NRL with it's smaller reliance on crowds. Having to move the entire comp to Queensland will be costing a motza and the GF at the Gabba will be forgotten up here 2 days after it happens.

I'll bet that $400 million loss will be a conservative figure and it will be interesting going forward if they can't negotiate a new deal sooner rather than later with Fox who have obviously for the first time dug their heels in against the wishes of the AFL.
AwFuL have damaged their brand by choosing an RL state over the fumbleball worshippers in Adelqide and Perth. Now would be a great time for PVL to talk a couple of Sydney clubs into relocating to Adelaide and Perth.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If the NRL get through this Covid period without using any form of loan, then they would've done an outstanding job. .

Agreed. They had around $100mill in cash reserves that will have helped but without crowds and corporate sales for the big events and reduced TV then it would have been difficult, Will be interesting to see what they haven't funded this year that has helped cover that gap and how much the TV deal has been reduced by.

Steel Saints

Juniors
AwFuL have damaged their brand by choosing an RL state over the fumbleball worshippers in Adelqide and Perth. Now would be a great time for PVL to talk a couple of Sydney clubs into relocating to Adelaide and Perth.

Not sure if relocation is the answer to lower Sydney clubs. Twenty years ago, the buzzwords were mergers or joint ventures. And when you look back through the Northern Eagles, Wests Tigers and St.George Illawarra Dragons, it has been a mixed bag.

If relocations occur in the future, there is a fair chance that it will be a mixed bag again. The game needs to improve its development pathways.

With five coaches geting the sack, someone asked Trent Robinson if coaches should start getting protected, such is the volatile nature of the occupation. Robinson's response is to improve the development of coaches.

I know this is the wrong thread, but if the NRL wants expansion to boost tv revenue, then it needs to be smart around the development of coaches, players and pathways.

Last edited:
Not sure if relocation is the answer to lower Sydney clubs. Twenty years ago, the buzzwords were mergers or joint ventures. And when you look back through the Northern Eagles, Wests Tigers and St.George Illawarra Dragons, it has been a mixed bag.

If relocations occur in the future, there is a fair chance that it will be a mixed bag again. The game needs to improve its development pathways.

With five coaches geting the sack, someone asked Trent Robinson if coaches should start getting protected, such is the volatile nature of the occupation. Robinson's response is to improve the development of coaches.

I know this is the wrong thread, but if the NRL wants expansion to boost tv revenue, then it needs to be smart around the development of coaches, players and pathways.
They need to bring back the ad lib nature of the game so that coaching becomes less of an issue.

Steel Saints

Juniors
They need to bring back the ad lib nature of the game so that coaching becomes less of an issue.

I really enjoyed Souths game against Parra. There was quick passing, the halves combined for a try and I wished Sironen passed the ball after Latrell started that movement. You want to see more of that, rather than the boring grind of teams playing conservatively.

I really enjoyed Souths game against Parra. There was quick passing, the halves combined for a try and I wished Sironen passed the ball after Latrell started that movement. You want to see more of that, rather than the boring grind of teams playing conservatively.
People don't want to see hit up after hit up. Little blokes with speed and skill running rings around the big blokes is great to see. Kids love it and want to play the game when they see some one like Langer doimg his stuff. That famous grubber of his where he would run towards one corner to get the big blokes moving that way, then kick in the opposite direction, accelerate and reach down to pick up rhe ball was an example of a short man using his lack of height to his advantage. There's none of that savvy any more.

Steel Saints

Juniors
People don't want to see hit up after hit up. Little blokes with speed and skill running rings around the big blokes is great to see. Kids love it and want to play the game when they see some one like Langer doimg his stuff. That famous grubber of his where he would run towards one corner to get the big blokes moving that way, then kick in the opposite direction, accelerate and reach down to pick up rhe ball was an example of a short man using his lack of height to his advantage. There's none of that savvy any more.

I grew up in an era watching the likes of Phil Blake chip and chase. There is not enough of the chip and chase either in todays game.. You want to see unpredictability from the halves.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I grew up in an era watching the likes of Phil Blake chip and chase. There is not enough of the chip and chase either in todays game.. You want to see unpredictability from the halves.

Safety first, field position, no turnovers. That's whats drilled into the halves from jnrs so no wonder playing off the cuff or taking a risk is no longer seen. Having watched a lot of SG Ball the amount of structure they play with, even at that age is surprising.

Latest posts