What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

denis preston

First Grade
Meanwhile , Holbrook has been extended another 2 years at the Titans due to impressing everyone there.Remember he was in our system years ago but didn't like coaching under a bus ! talk about losing players, we had a very impressive young coach here but let him gone and develop his career elsewhere, which has benefited him greatly.What do we do ? Hold on to the favorite sons with one club experience !
As good as Dean may impress definitely no to full time job.

What a f#kwit...

McGregor opens up on tough family journey, reveals he has ‘unfinished business’ in NRL

NRL PREMIERSHIP

6efba114cc9d6141cc315846b268a605

Paul McGregor hopes to return to coaching in the future. (Photo by Mark Kolbe/Getty Images)Source: Getty Images
Ex-Dragons coach Paul McGregor has revealed he has “unfinished business” as an NRL coach in an interview with Channel 9’s Danny Weidler where he also opened up on caring for his father.

McGregor parted ways with the Dragons two weeks ago after seven years at the helm. The morning after leaving the bubble he visit his father, Frank, who is battling dementia.

It was the first time the pair had seen each other in three months.

“I told Dad when I walked in that morning what had happened,’’ McGregor told The Sydney Morning Herald.

McGregor copped plenty of criticism as coach of the Dragons. The passionate fan base were so unsatisfied with him they even started a petition to have him sacked. But the 52-year-old managed to block out all of the outside noise, “because they were not the people I was seeking my advice from,’’ he said.

‘‘You get hardened to all of that when you spend your life in football. It was always there as an elite player and then as a coach.

“I kept my home and work life separate. But I suppose all of that was harder on my family than me.”

For the entire season McGregor has been in the pressure cooker. The criticism from fans and pressure on the board to take action reached its peak after the Dragons went down to the Bulldogs on the June long weekend in what was deemed a clash of the embattled coaches where the loser would be axed.

The club stuck solid and spared McGregor. But he eventually lost control of his squad and no longer had the selection power a head coach should have.

The Dragons’ form improved slightly as the season progressed but he was ultimately sacked. He coached his last game in Round 14, an inspirational win over the Eels.

Despite the tumultuous time, McGregor still has desires to be in the coaching world... but for now he’s focused on his family.

“I’ve got unfinished business in football,” he said.

“I’ve got discipline and a work ethic that needs to be around football and in that environment.

“I want to work as a coach again. When? I have not thought about that. Right now I’m taking care of family and that’s something I want and need to do. If the opportunity comes up I know I’ll be ready.”

Mjab

Juniors
What a f#kwit...

McGregor opens up on tough family journey, reveals he has ‘unfinished business’ in NRL

NRL PREMIERSHIP

6efba114cc9d6141cc315846b268a605

Paul McGregor hopes to return to coaching in the future. (Photo by Mark Kolbe/Getty Images)Source: Getty Images
Ex-Dragons coach Paul McGregor has revealed he has “unfinished business” as an NRL coach in an interview with Channel 9’s Danny Weidler where he also opened up on caring for his father.

McGregor parted ways with the Dragons two weeks ago after seven years at the helm. The morning after leaving the bubble he visit his father, Frank, who is battling dementia.

It was the first time the pair had seen each other in three months.

“I told Dad when I walked in that morning what had happened,’’ McGregor told The Sydney Morning Herald.

McGregor copped plenty of criticism as coach of the Dragons. The passionate fan base were so unsatisfied with him they even started a petition to have him sacked. But the 52-year-old managed to block out all of the outside noise, “because they were not the people I was seeking my advice from,’’ he said.

‘‘You get hardened to all of that when you spend your life in football. It was always there as an elite player and then as a coach.

“I kept my home and work life separate. But I suppose all of that was harder on my family than me.”

For the entire season McGregor has been in the pressure cooker. The criticism from fans and pressure on the board to take action reached its peak after the Dragons went down to the Bulldogs on the June long weekend in what was deemed a clash of the embattled coaches where the loser would be axed.

The club stuck solid and spared McGregor. But he eventually lost control of his squad and no longer had the selection power a head coach should have.

The Dragons’ form improved slightly as the season progressed but he was ultimately sacked. He coached his last game in Round 14, an inspirational win over the Eels.

Despite the tumultuous time, McGregor still has desires to be in the coaching world... but for now he’s focused on his family.

“I’ve got unfinished business in football,” he said.

“I’ve got discipline and a work ethic that needs to be around football and in that environment.

“I want to work as a coach again. When? I have not thought about that. Right now I’m taking care of family and that’s something I want and need to do. If the opportunity comes up I know I’ll be ready.”
Maybe we will get the dream team next year
Young head coach and Mary assistant on a 5 yr deal

getsmarty

Immortal
He's my hero’: McGregor opens up on caring for ailing dad after Dragons exit
Danny Weidler
August 30, 2020 — 12.01am
Leave a comment

At a time when everyone is asking why anyone would want to be an NRL coach, Paul McGregor, the man who endured years of abuse and criticism during his tenure at the Dragons, says he has “unfinished business” in the area.

He wants to coach again – even as an assistant – when the opportunity presents itself. But right now he has another priority: caring for his dad, Frank, who is battling an aggressive form of dementia.

f5834c6f74bcd99239c50e789dcd860cb95ded83

Paul McGregor and his father Frank.

“That photo [above, inset] was taken the morning after I left the club,” McGregor said.

Because of COVID-19 and the bubble, it was the first time he had been able to see his father in three months.

“I told Dad when I walked in that morning what had happened [leaving the Dragons],’’ McGregor said. ‘‘I just said to him, ‘Dad, I’m not the coach any more’. It registered with him, but then 10 minutes later he was asking me who we were playing that week. They told me the night before he saw it on the news and he became quite agitated and they had to settle him down. It’s not easy, but it’s life.

'I owe him and mum so much. But he was the one who drove my football career.'

Paul McGregor
‘‘We lost mum in 2017 and it was my turn to be with him. My sister Joanne has been looking after him when I couldn’t. I needed to see him. I owe him and Mum so much. But he was the one who drove my football career. He was a great footballer in his own right, a centre. They talk about him whenever I head back home [to Muswellbrook].

‘‘He isn’t just my dad. He was my hero growing up and still is.”

McGregor reflected on his time with St George Illawarra and knew he couldn’t make things better when he lost the power to be the sole selector of his teams. He said the constant criticism from commentators and fans didn’t really affect him.

“Because they were not the people I was seeking my advice from,’’ he said. ‘‘You get hardened to all of that when you spend your life in football. It was always there as an elite player and then as a coach. I kept my home and work life separate. But I suppose all of that was harder on my family than me.”

And he is not scared or scarred by his experience in the NRL.

“I’ve got unfinished business in football,” he said. “I’ve got discipline and a work ethic that needs to be around football and in that environment. I want to work as a coach again. When? I have not thought about that. Right now I’m taking care of family and that’s something I want and need to do. If the opportunity comes up I know I’ll be ready.”

Red V still want Fitzy
He may have knocked them back, but there’s no question the coach the Dragons still want is Craig Fitzgibbon. Wayne Bennett and Anthony Griffin get mentioned by Dragons insiders, but the forward thinkers say ‘‘Fitzy’’ is their future. He is still priority No.1 among the Dragons hierarchy.

Fitzgibbon was the first choice for the Warriors job. The Cowboys wanted him, too. Despite the knockbacks, the Dragons are adamant he is their future. He’s got the club in his bloodlines and it would be a great story: 'the local boy returns' has a good feeling to it.

The problem for the Dragons is, unlike many in rugby league, Fitzgibbon is a man of his word.

4c764d0c2bfa39ef1b9fcee490294fb5b47ab0bd

Roosters assistant coach Craig Fitzgibbon, right, with Boyd Cordner.Credit:Getty

Earning a good salary – believed to be $350,000 a year – it’s not likely Fitzgibbon will be approaching Roosters supremo Nick Politis to ask if he can leave. The only way it’s going to happen is if the Dragons can make it happen.

New Dragons chief executive Ryan Webb doesn’t have a relationship with Politis, so maybe a board member like Peter Doust will need to step in. Either that or an intermediary will need to be found.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/he...g-dad-after-dragons-exit-20200829-p55qkd.html

Gareth67

First Grade
The only thing this thread now provides is recurring nausea.

:joy:

He's my hero’: McGregor opens up on caring for ailing dad after Dragons exit
Danny Weidler
August 30, 2020 — 12.01am
Leave a comment

At a time when everyone is asking why anyone would want to be an NRL coach, Paul McGregor, the man who endured years of abuse and criticism during his tenure at the Dragons, says he has “unfinished business” in the area.

He wants to coach again – even as an assistant – when the opportunity presents itself. But right now he has another priority: caring for his dad, Frank, who is battling an aggressive form of dementia.

f5834c6f74bcd99239c50e789dcd860cb95ded83

Paul McGregor and his father Frank.

“That photo [above, inset] was taken the morning after I left the club,” McGregor said.

Because of COVID-19 and the bubble, it was the first time he had been able to see his father in three months.

“I told Dad when I walked in that morning what had happened [leaving the Dragons],’’ McGregor said. ‘‘I just said to him, ‘Dad, I’m not the coach any more’. It registered with him, but then 10 minutes later he was asking me who we were playing that week. They told me the night before he saw it on the news and he became quite agitated and they had to settle him down. It’s not easy, but it’s life.

'I owe him and mum so much. But he was the one who drove my football career.'

Paul McGregor
‘‘We lost mum in 2017 and it was my turn to be with him. My sister Joanne has been looking after him when I couldn’t. I needed to see him. I owe him and Mum so much. But he was the one who drove my football career. He was a great footballer in his own right, a centre. They talk about him whenever I head back home [to Muswellbrook].

‘‘He isn’t just my dad. He was my hero growing up and still is.”

McGregor reflected on his time with St George Illawarra and knew he couldn’t make things better when he lost the power to be the sole selector of his teams. He said the constant criticism from commentators and fans didn’t really affect him.

“Because they were not the people I was seeking my advice from,’’ he said. ‘‘You get hardened to all of that when you spend your life in football. It was always there as an elite player and then as a coach. I kept my home and work life separate. But I suppose all of that was harder on my family than me.”

And he is not scared or scarred by his experience in the NRL.

“I’ve got unfinished business in football,” he said. “I’ve got discipline and a work ethic that needs to be around football and in that environment. I want to work as a coach again. When? I have not thought about that. Right now I’m taking care of family and that’s something I want and need to do. If the opportunity comes up I know I’ll be ready.”

Red V still want Fitzy
He may have knocked them back, but there’s no question the coach the Dragons still want is Craig Fitzgibbon. Wayne Bennett and Anthony Griffin get mentioned by Dragons insiders, but the forward thinkers say ‘‘Fitzy’’ is their future. He is still priority No.1 among the Dragons hierarchy.

Fitzgibbon was the first choice for the Warriors job. The Cowboys wanted him, too. Despite the knockbacks, the Dragons are adamant he is their future. He’s got the club in his bloodlines and it would be a great story: 'the local boy returns' has a good feeling to it.

The problem for the Dragons is, unlike many in rugby league, Fitzgibbon is a man of his word.

4c764d0c2bfa39ef1b9fcee490294fb5b47ab0bd

Roosters assistant coach Craig Fitzgibbon, right, with Boyd Cordner.Credit:Getty

Earning a good salary – believed to be $350,000 a year – it’s not likely Fitzgibbon will be approaching Roosters supremo Nick Politis to ask if he can leave. The only way it’s going to happen is if the Dragons can make it happen.

New Dragons chief executive Ryan Webb doesn’t have a relationship with Politis, so maybe a board member like Peter Doust will need to step in. Either that or an intermediary will need to be found.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/he...g-dad-after-dragons-exit-20200829-p55qkd.html

The last few paragraphs about the Dragons still wanting Craig Fitzgibbon is a bit of a surprise , in as much as he recently ( according to media reports ) gave a definite no to going to the J.Venture .

But I suppose that it’s a good thing that the Dragons will not take no for an answer - it shows that their intentions remain true in acquiring the best replacement for Mary .

Dragons 09

Juniors
The only thing this thread now provides is recurring nausea.
LOL, i totally agree mate.
It should be made a sticky so our kids and grand kids know what we went through and so they understand the kind of coaching appointment that should never be repeated.
However, it should also be locked so as no new content can be added, because i fear the self promotion will just keep coming as he starts to roll out the "victim" stories to his mates in the media.

Gareth67

First Grade
https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/league/nrl/mann-throws-stunning-cut-out!784922

Have a look at this , a bloke who was f##ked from pillar to post by the peanut. Put him where he belongs give him a decent coach and guess what we didn’t need to sign Corey Norman.

Yes I watched a bit of the game earlier and that was a magnificent pass from Mann . I believe that everyone but blind Pauly realized that he had ability , but he was jerked about too often by the maestro . No wonder the man wanted out - as did so many others .

Last edited:

Banjo2014

Juniors
What is worse than remembering the past and Macgregor coaching the Saints.

My five year old son Banjo singing his new NRL Fox League song ....

Na na na na na
Mary Tapow Marty Tapow
Na na na na na
Marty Tapow Marty Tapow

It's midnight here and I still can't get it out of my head .....

I was hoping that we would sign Tapau but not now.

Latest posts