What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

BrotherJim05

Bench
Haha. I often think about how things might have been different for our club had Taylor not been signed. I think his appointment cost the club a golden generation with Tedesco Woods, Moses and Brooks.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/sep/29/wests-tigers-appoint-jason-taylor-as-new-coach

The other contenders were not standouts and it would have been very early for Todd Payten. However, Payten is managed my Isaac Moses which might have made an impact.

Payten would have been better than Taylor for sure. If he was able to keep the "big 4" then just that alone would have been monsterous for us

Fordy20

Juniors
Haha. I often think about how things might have been different for our club had Taylor not been signed. I think his appointment cost the club a golden generation with Tedesco Woods, Moses and Brooks.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/sep/29/wests-tigers-appoint-jason-taylor-as-new-coach

The other contenders were not standouts and it would have been very early for Todd Payten. However, Payten is managed my Isaac Moses which might have made an impact.

I agree. I also often wonder what would have happened if we re-signed Potter. He injected some much needed starch into our pack by signing Gavet and Taupau, blooded Brooks well and had us running second after seven rounds, which was beyond a shadow of a doubt, the best start to our season in years. Losing Teddy and Farah caused a bit of a hiccup in the middle of the season, but we still looked pretty competitive. If it wasn't for the massive injury toll which saw us playing Sitaliki Akauola and Cory Patterson on the wings, I reckon we would have made the finals. Of course, all of that was overshadowed by the media shitstorm stirred up by Tallis, Potter wasn't extended by incoming board and this ushered in the age of Taylor.

Payten would have been better than Taylor for sure. If he was able to keep the "big 4" then just that alone would have been monsterous for us
He was coach of the 2012 NYC grand final winners, that team,
Kurtis Rowe, David Nofoaluma, Brodie Monroe, Asipeli Fine, Marika Koroibete, Matt Mulcahy, Jacob Miller, Sauaso Sue, Ben Saunders, Mosese Fotuaika, Joel Luani, Kyle Lovett, Inno Inosesio; Interchange: Soni Paasi, Nathan Brown, Brenden Santi, Sitaleki Akauola, Shane Lalogafau, Andy Fiagatusa, Manaia Rudolph, Daniel Rakvin.

Tristan Sailor

https://test.triplem.com.au/story/s...n-sailor-from-joining-the-wests-tigers-164639

we must be pretty keen on him.

We've got to look to guys like this among the juniors and the fringes.

Josh Schuster from Manly is another. Re-signed for one year at the Eagles last summer and will debut for them on Sunday if the mail is on.

Its really not hard to get recruitment right. We make it look so difficult :(
Mario, wasn’t there talk a year or 2 ago that young Schuster was heading to tiger town?

Just did a quick search before posting ^
https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/the-mo...mcgregor/b5eef955-9c7c-4bfd-8775-a18f6c253cf3

Tigerm

First Grade
He was coach of the 2012 NYC grand final winners, that team,
Kurtis Rowe, David Nofoaluma, Brodie Monroe, Asipeli Fine, Marika Koroibete, Matt Mulcahy, Jacob Miller, Sauaso Sue, Ben Saunders, Mosese Fotuaika, Joel Luani, Kyle Lovett, Inno Inosesio; Interchange: Soni Paasi, Nathan Brown, Brenden Santi, Sitaleki Akauola, Shane Lalogafau, Andy Fiagatusa, Manaia Rudolph, Daniel Rakvin.
From memory, didn't he leave on bad terms with us?

Everyone should read the @Mario chalmers article he posted a little while ago.

If the author is correct, the league is moving to a buyers market for clubs.

I wouldn’t mind some limited flexibility for late season loans etc right up to the finals. That would give say nofo and others the opportunity to play finals which they deserve and bring the experience back home.

I’d be proud to see nofo and ja play finals.

Say a two player maximum. Plus a tax for the transferee ( destination) club to be given to charity to feed people struggling to make end meet or a scholarship for poor kids, not just smart ones. Help people get off drugs, handicapped kids etc.

Tigerm

First Grade

I wouldn’t mind some limited flexibility for late season loans etc right up to the finals. That would give say nofo and others the opportunity to play finals which they deserve and bring the experience back home.

Say a two player maximum. Plus a tax for the transferee ( destination) club to be given to charity to feed people struggling to make end meet or a scholarship for poor kids, not just smart ones. Help people get off drugs, handicapped kids etc.
I don't know, I don't think its fair on the players who got there club to the finals, to be stood down, while some Neville takes there spot.

I don't know, I don't think its fair on the players who got there club to the finals, to be stood down, while some Neville takes there spot.

Yeah that’s a very good point.

But the displaced players could be given part of the loan match payments as a sweetener and other benefits.

Players are used to being manhandled out of games for the good of the team.

When I played sport at school they dropped me out of the firsts water polo to captain the seconds for a round. Got time out for illegal play ( pursuit and leg pull to stop a runaway- at least he had the ball).

Back into firsts the next week and held my spot for the season.

It’s a great game to play. Your body just adapts to the challenges. All those Olympians, they could probably tread water and swim for a couple of hours plus plus plus easily. They are good sprinters. They are big and strong guys, on another level.

Also, the women’s games at the elite level are also very high quality. They train against guys a lot in their prep.

There’s a lot going on under the surface. That’s where it gets frustrating some times and I saw a guy get badly injured for holding a player down too long.

Had to go to hospital after his victim later re arranged his face. You want to half-drown your opponent, but you don’t want to cross that line. Like our wonderful game of rugby league, it’s a player understanding.

And no snitching, although you train to feign injury to try to get a penalty. Like today’s rugby league!

Last edited:
I’m lead to believe it was a bit messy. I can’t recall exactly what happened.
I thought he joined the Cowboys because Taylor didn’t want him, I thought it was because Payton was one of the guys mentioned as taking over from Potter and Taylor didn’t want Payton around.

stryker

First Grade

One of your dumbest ideas...

stryker

First Grade
Yeah that’s a very good point.

But the displaced players could be given part of the loan match payments as a sweetener and other benefits.

Players are used to being manhandled out of games for the good of the team.

When I played sport at school they dropped me out of the firsts water polo to captain the seconds for a round. Got time out for illegal play ( pursuit and leg pull to stop a runaway- at least he had the ball).

Back into firsts the next week and held my spot for the season.

It’s a great game to play. Your body just adapts to the challenges. All those Olympians, they could probably tread water and swim for a couple of hours plus plus plus easily. They are good sprinters. They are big and strong guys, on another level.

Also, the women’s games at the elite level are also very high quality. They train against guys a lot in their prep.

There’s a lot going on under the surface. That’s where it gets frustrating some times and I saw a guy get badly injured for holding a player down too long.

Had to go to hospital after his victim later re arranged his face. You want to half-drown your opponent, but you don’t want to cross that line. Like our wonderful game of rugby league, it’s a player understanding.

And no snitching, although you train to feign injury to try to get a penalty. Like today’s rugby league!
Hahaha WTF are you on about?

BrotherJim05

Bench
Hearing that we are in serious running to sign JAC and Tamou. Apparently we've made offers to both. Bit concerning that they need time to think on it, but I can't blame them. They would both be leaving successful, winning teams to come to our rabble.

However, both these players would be a massive coup for us. We need an older, experienced leader amongst our forward pack, and JAC would add some much needed pace. Even if he doesn't cut it at FB he could switch back to wing and then we've got one of the best wingers in the comp.

Hopefully we have offered them fair contracts and nothing ridiculous though

Fordy20

Juniors
JAC wants to be in Sydney and Tamou wants more than one year. All we should have to offer is the first crack at the fullback role for JAC and a two year contract for Tamou, maybe with a club option for a third. Tamou is 32, but he's playing out of his skin at the moment. He's averaging 145m per game and has a 95% tackle efficiency, so he'd be able to make metres in attack and sore up our middle that is constantly getting rolled over.

Latest posts