What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Coach 2021 and Beyond

Who do you want to see as Dragons coach?

• Total voters

Coffs dragon

Bench
Furner was definitely chucked in too soon at Canberra. Would have been sacked a lot sooner too if not for his dad as CEO.

I can buy that he has learned his trade and is well regarded, but he also failed dismally at Leeds. Do we really want to give the head coaching role to a coach with zero success and plenty of losses.
Firstly Borat, it was Furner’s brother that was CEO at the Raiders , whom had to sack him for not bringing success just like Mal Meninga as previous coach..
In regards to the Leeds failure in the ESL, they were a team on the slide downwards.
I’m not saying Furner is the right answer, based purely on his success rate.

What I do believe is he is a hell of a lot better than Price, McGregor and Young whom have zero experience outside of the pigs trough sheltered work shop.

At least Furner left his comfort zone of Canberra & his family connection to learn and improve himself at other clubs.
He’s an improvement on our L-Plate inbreeds.

ALSGI

Bench
Tru, another positive in regards to David Furner was he spent 6 years as the Assistant Coach to Tim Sheens for the Australian Kangaroos.
He certainly has plied his trade at NRL & Representative level and I’m sure has made handy contacts at the higher level.
Furner was probably chucked in to the Raiders coaching position when he was too young and inexperienced, just like Dean Young is now.
He’s gone away and worked as an assistant in 3 different clubs with success.

I’m slowly warming to him.
Seriously?
Furner thinks we have a top 4 Roster.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Seriously?
Furner thinks we have a top 4 Roster.
He’s being polite as he’s probably been told he has to work with Basil Millward the Minister of Recruitment & f**kups!
Suck up, get in then sweep a broom thru the flop 4 roster......

ALSGI

Bench

TruSaint

Referee
Yes, saw this Tru.
Says Furner believes he would be inheriting a roster capable of competing for the top four next year and that the RedV is not in need of a rebuild.

He’s lost me on those points alone.

And the rest that he said - great pitch for a $2m 3 year contract.

Ok mate. You are probably right.
Just thought maybe you haven't seen the article. No probs.

SGMax

Juniors
In terms of contracts, if you try to induce someone to break one by offering a better contract, the party offering it can be liable to legal action. Also it wouldn't surprise me if it is an NRL requirement that talking to an assistant under contract you would need the permission of the club they are already contracted to. It is the case in relation to approaching players under contract.

This is not a salary cap situation with strict rules about player poaching....although Craig could say he is feeling homesick as most players seem to do,,,,

If I spot someone with the talent that I want to hire, I make an offer and it is up to him to consider his contract and get the necessary clearance.
I am starting to think Politis sees himself as a godfather (mafia) type character and he mustn't be disrespected.

Dragsters

First Grade
What does it have to do with that jackass Politis anyway?
If we made an offer to Fitzgibbon, any existing contract issues to deal with, they are for Craig to sort out with his current employer.
You would think we were dealing with a child and needed permission from the parents to talk to him.
Any other employer would be pleased that his people were being offered opportunities to progress their career.

Exactly, it's not the fricken Mafia, as much as that prima donna Politis might like to think he the godfather of all thinks NRL.

Not that I think fitzy is even our best option, but still...

Gomarchin

Juniors
I'd say the 'Top 4 Roster' comment is a ringing endorsement for his mate Millward.

Good old Basil was an assistant coach at the Raiders when Furner was HC.

This is not a salary cap situation with strict rules about player poaching....although Craig could say he is feeling homesick as most players seem to do,,,,

If I spot someone with the talent that I want to hire, I make an offer and it is up to him to consider his contract and get the necessary clearance.
I am starting to think Politis sees himself as a godfather (mafia) type character and he mustn't be disrespected.
The question I have is how hard did we go after Fitzgibbon?
If that is our first choice then why are we interviewing compromises?
I know all the reasons trotted out but if we really wanted him, Nick wouldn't stand in his way.
We needed to MAKE it happen.

Dragons 09

Juniors
That comment alone should see his papers stamped "never to coach in the NRL again". Seriously, he can't be that delusional, can he?

Dragons 09

Juniors
I know all the reasons trotted out but if we really wanted him, Nick wouldn't stand in his way.

If Nick wants him to take over from Robinson, absolutely he would stand in his way.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Tru, another positive in regards to David Furner was he spent 6 years as the Assistant Coach to Tim Sheens for the Australian Kangaroos.
He certainly has plied his trade at NRL & Representative level and I’m sure has made handy contacts at the higher level.
Furner was probably chucked in to the Raiders coaching position when he was too young and inexperienced, just like Dean Young is now.
He’s gone away and worked as an assistant in 3 different clubs with success.

I’m slowly warming to him.
Plus Canberra has had a rubbish squad for a long time until recently. No one really wanted to come down and play here, and their feeder clubs were in Qld and Mounties. Some players were playing in Qld and training in Canberra. Not a super attractive option. Leeds was crap before he started and still are. In his 5 years at Canberra he made the finals twice, same amount of times Mary did in 6-7 years here and I’d say Mary had a better squad. Griffin has a good record too but inherited pretty decent squads including a still firing Soward who chinless McGee let go from the saints.

Wittenberg

Juniors
Well aren’t the media lining up to support Furner and Young. Both impressed with their interviews apparently but Griffin.....a mistake to be considered if you listen to some. We whinge about our Board constantly making us just pick ‘old boys’, well the old boy network has us again diving into the world of old boy inbreds. If Young, or especially Furner, get the coaching gig I will be so angry. It is cruel to see us finally get rid of Mary only to see us sucked into hiring another hack.

St Georgio

Juniors
Well aren’t the media lining up to support Furner and Young. Both impressed with their interviews apparently but Griffin.....a mistake to be considered if you listen to some. We whinge about our Board constantly making us just pick ‘old boys’, well the old boy network has us again diving into the world of old boy inbreds. If Young, or especially Furner, get the coaching gig I will be so angry. It is cruel to see us finally get rid of Mary only to see us sucked into hiring another hack.
i will throw up, they are extremely under qualified!

Wittenberg

Juniors
I must admit Dean learnt from the master regarding press conferences......blunt, tough talking and promising action......media respond that he ‘has a refreshing approach’ .....’tells it like it is’....,classic Mary. Oh the team is supportive of him and respond to his ‘ honesty and man management’ ......god save us all.

SGMax

Juniors

I am guessing it was the path of least resistance between the two factions.
Fitzgibbon was probably the only one that they had consensus on although it was still a risk trying someone outside their comfort zone who is used to a top notch roster with all the facilities money can buy.

He hasn't even been in charge of the CC let alone 1st grade and is the defensive coach for a hand picked team that anyone could coach to a premiership.
However it would have avoided this damaging shit fight and instability which is making it even less likely any talent would be willing to join the Dragons.
Who knows we may have fluked a good one.