What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

I'm Hornby

Juniors
Firstly let me say that I don't know if the allegations about Griffin are true. Twitter accounts are not always reliable and the media can sometimes twist things. Perhaps Griffin needs to come out and clear the air.

All I know is that I wouldn't employ someone if they were a bigot. Anyone who thinks sexism, racism, ageism etc is OK are not welcomed. They only create disharmony and make others feel uncomfortable. Employers have a responsibility here, not only to their employees but also to their own business. Anything else is just unprofessional imo.

On a construction site, for example, it is often drummed into the workers (during the induction) that bigotry is not allowed. Any complaints about racism or sexual harassment are dealt with and if true, the perpetrator is chucked off the site. They can't claim discrimination based on their 'political views'. They can complain, but they will find the legislation doesn't support them. The common held view in the 21st century is that the workers support each other as part of their obligations to the workplace and safety regulations. Anyone who contravenes this with bullying or bigotry can potentially create accidents and hinder production.

Your example relates again like a previous poster, relates to someone who already has gainful employment. You're correct that a lot of workplace contracts now stipulate ethics and behaviours on social media.

My point pertains to missing out on a job because the prospective employer disagrees with your political views. Griffin would've been able to compare himself to the other candidates being interviewed and see that he was the most qualified for the job and if he had missed out, would be well within his rights to contest should he be able to substantiate he was discriminated against on political grounds.

Firstly let me say that I don't know if the allegations about Griffin are true. Twitter accounts are not always reliable and the media can sometimes twist things. Perhaps Griffin needs to come out and clear the air.

All I know is that I wouldn't employ someone if they were a bigot. Anyone who thinks sexism, racism, ageism etc is OK are not welcomed. They only create disharmony and make others feel uncomfortable. Employers have a responsibility here, not only to their employees but also to their own business. Anything else is just unprofessional imo.

On a construction site, for example, it is often drummed into the workers (during the induction) that bigotry is not allowed. Any complaints about racism or sexual harassment are dealt with and if true, the perpetrator is chucked off the site. They can't claim discrimination based on their 'political views'. They can complain, but they will find the legislation doesn't support them. The common held view in the 21st century is that the workers support each other as part of their obligations to the workplace and safety regulations. Anyone who contravenes this with bullying or bigotry can potentially create accidents and hinder production.

I don’t have any issues with this approach.

Just confining the argument a tad, the states seem to have different approaches if the issue is about political beliefs.

I am not talking about racism, sexism etc but whether or not anyone with an extremist belief and expression ( left or right), if they prove discrimination because of it, has an action of some kind.

The human rights legislation in Queensland appears to protect such rights in certain circumstances and there could be a remedy available if your conduct was captured by the clauses. But alas I couldn’t find anything similar federally or in NSW. That’s what it says, how it operates, I just don’t know.

Even putting laws to one side, in my personal experience, it’s not possible to ascribe a value type assessment characteristic either good or bad, based upon race, gender, sexual preference, age or other attribute, ownership of ferret etc!

I think life tells you this, not laws as such, to me its just a factual truth. People who are caught up in these destructive beliefs, they are delusional. Some kind of medical issue perhaps!

Your example relates again like a previous poster, relates to someone who already has gainful employment. You're correct that a lot of workplace contracts now stipulate ethics and behaviours on social media.

My point pertains to missing out on a job because the prospective employer disagrees with your political views. Griffin would've been able to compare himself to the other candidates being interviewed and see that he was the most qualified for the job and if he had missed out, would be well within his rights to contest should he be able to substantiate he was discriminated against on political grounds.

I am not saying that’s not right, but I would love know the laws on it and where he would go sue the employer.

I can only find contradictory laws.

Any tips?!

Seriously, why can’t someone dump or delete this thread. Surely, it’s a new beginning for our club and Griffin. Let’s all get behind some positive change.

I think everyone’s is behind him, I am for sure and I’ve been defending him on the panther forum -because some of them are being total dickheads about this appointment.

You would think they would wish him the best. He had a red hot go out there.

And some of the mugs yonder are ratting on your club and thats just intolerable.

I'm Hornby

Juniors
I am not saying that’s not right, but I would love know the laws on it and where he would go sue the employer.

I can only find contradictory laws.

Any tips?!

This website is a start:

https://www.antidiscrimination.just...yers#:~:text=Under federal and state laws,age

It doesn't specifically state political beliefs but it does say all job applicants need to be treated fairly and on merit.

Griffin would've had a legal case and with a good lawyer a decent one Id say.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I am not talking about racism, sexism etc but whether or not anyone with an extremist belief and expression ( left or right), if they prove discrimination because of it, has an action of some kind.
So let's argue against those who discriminate against someone who is showing discrimination. Interesting.

And the 'free speech' argument often gets stated by those trying to shout down others. And don't forget the world is full of contradictions so therefore it's OK to be a hypocrite.

This feels like a script from Monty Python.

The problem is, where do we draw the line between political beliefs and bigotry? Casual racism is rife but not always intended. Sometimes it's just ignorance. But other times it is more insidious. The dog whistle is an example of someone cowardly trying to push their agenda while hiding behind a 'belief'.

Dragon David

First Grade
Seriously, why can’t someone dump or delete this thread. Surely, it’s a new beginning for our club and Griffin. Let’s all get behind some positive change.
I'm in agreement that this thread be deleted. Why include this when Griffin has only been appointed and he isn't coaching the team?

Any comment about Griffin should be contained in the "100% Official Griffin for the next 2 years" thread in my opinion.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Are you discriminating against the presence of this thread?

Seriously, you don't have to open the thread.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
BTW, there exists a view that we should never politicise our sport. The classic, "never mix politics with sport."

Really?

Sport has always been about politics, even to the point of resolving political disputes. From ancient Greece to Easter Island, sport was used to decide things, select leaders and stop wars.

The origins of Rugby Football are deeply rooted in politics. The school itself taught the belief of 'Muscular Christianity' and football was the central element. This doctrine was based on religion and patriotism, and was essentially about turning boys into men and training them for either higher office or war.

Then there was the great class divide of the 19th century that led to the schism that gave us Rugby League.

In more modern times, sport has been used as a vehicle to bring about social change, most of which is politicised by someone or another.

So please, when a person says we should keep politics out of it, I ask that they at least take a look around and check out the history. It could save you a lot of grief.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
...seriously guys, this is a silly thread - AG has not even started coaching us...please move this to the swamp..
You beat me to it,that question is a no Brainer, so I for one will not be reading anything on here now that I have supported your request.
Except it hasn't been about AG for quite some time.

'Seriously' and a 'no brainer' indeed. For heck's sake, people can discuss such things if they want.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Here’s the official 2021 sgi album photo of Hook:

View attachment 41776

Every Mary staff member is likely to be taken out the back and shot (sacked).

Even if Hook fails, the club will be purged of the wretched putrid stench of Mary and his corporate shite.

A good man for demaryfication.

So long as the footprints are gone, some hope restored, that’s a start.

I get the feeling Webby has a lot of Marys blood on his hands.

Sorry Mary, the club is only big enough for one corporate Whiz bang candy store popper.
At first when I saw Hook In his new Dragons outfit I thought Im sure hes got more hair than that.....then I realised it was a stitch up......thank goodness for that Id be having nightmares of another head like a roll on deodorant in charge

Dragon David

First Grade
So you want an entire thread deleted because of an attempted joke in the thread title. Rightio....
I'm wanting it deleted because it is just not an appropriate time for it to be put onto the Forum. Maybe sometime next year, but certainly not now. I know I also have the choice of not opening up the thread to read the posts.

Mjab

Juniors
Look I started the thread as a joke

if it offends people can the thread title be changed to Griffin? so people aren’t offended

it’s fair enough that people do want to discuss AG And have a thread for it I think

Last edited:
This website is a start:

https://www.antidiscrimination.justice.nsw.gov.au/employers-and-managers/anti-discrimination-law-and-employers#:~:text=Under federal and state laws,age

It doesn't specifically state political beliefs but it does say all job applicants need to be treated fairly and on merit.

Griffin would've had a legal case and with a good lawyer a decent one Id say.

I was looking at the legislation not the publicity or commentary.

I can’t see an action available for challenging discrimination based on political beliefs in nsw or federally. If you can find it, I will step down for sure. Go quietly and pay homage.

But I can see it potentially being an issue in Queensland under their 2019 Act. They have powered ahead on freedoms. A long way from the joh days!

But if he was discriminated against ( which he wasn’t) and he lives in NSW and SGI is in NSW, I am not sure how he can drag in the QLD law.

As I understand it, the laws are pretty narrow. Not all classes of people are totally covered. Maybe one day, we won’t need laws to push basic fairness and the fair go in these things.

Latest posts