What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 18, Penrith Panthers Vs Para Eewls

The Realist

Juniors
Who cares Franklin what the odds are. It means nothing. It’s all about us playing our best and hopefully play better than they do. I couldn’t give a flying f**k who is out or in in, what the turnaround is all I care about is we put our best foot forward and get the job done.

You are beating up a straw-man. Franklin and others are talking about probability to win and you are basically saying it doesn't matter and only effort matters.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Mentions of Panthers on the main NRL board & game day section from fans of other clubs, some genuine posts rating us & plenty taking the piss re our apparent "smugness" Either way it's all in good fun.
I reckon you guys think too much :joy:

soc123_au

Staff member
I reckon you guys think too much :joy:
You haven't seen all the "smug" posts in the game day threads? It's all just harmless banter, but we seem to be getting much more attention than usual is my observation. Nothing to do with overthinking.

GongPanther

Referee
You are beating up a straw-man. Franklin and others are talking about probability to win and you are basically saying it doesn't matter and only effort matters.
Very hard to argue against the weight of money that the punters on the TAB have on us. And simply throw in our form, us practically at full strength and no complacency, and the fire in our belly after losing to Parra earlier in the season, you have the components for the perfect storm of a fist beating.

GongPanther

Referee
You haven't seen all the "smug" posts in the game day threads? It's all just harmless banter, but we seem to be getting much more attention than usual is my observation. Nothing to do with overthinking.
When you're having such a successful season as the players themselves have been having, the only recourse some have is to direct tirades against the supporter base. It is mostly banter, although for a small few, it is disturbingly out of pure hatred and envy.

They are the ones who have sleepless nights over our great season, and only God knows what they'll do to themselves if we ever won the comp again.

Pomoz

Bench
It'd be Dragons wall to wall if that were the case, then Eels, Raiders... then maybe Penrith.
In terms of messages posted its:
  1. Eels 1.45m
  2. Sharks 800k
  3. Dragons 642k
  4. Knights 426k
  5. Warriors 224k
  6. Panthers 214k
The share of messages reflects where the players come from in reality. In NSW it's Newcastle, Penrith, Wests (not Balmain, no kids play footy there), IIlawarra Steelers (Dragons still produce juniors, but their demographic is changing), Cronulla. The Roosters, Souths, Balmain (not Wests) and Manly need the areas that actually produce players or there will be no NRL. Even the Dogs will struggle as the gentrification of the the inner west continues.

I think we (the Panther's Forum group) are hard core, but small in number. The Panther's are unloved, unglamourous, niche, alternative. The media give us little attention (a lot more this year, eventually.....) and bandwagon jumpers are climbing on board right now. Let's hope they stay, their money is always welcome if it helps the club survive.

As Rabbie Burns said:

“Here's to us, who's like us? Damn few, and they're all dead.”

Cheers.

Kilkenny

Coach
Very hard to argue against the weight of money that the punters on the TAB have on us. And simply throw in our form, us practically at full strength and no complacency, and the fire in our belly after losing to Parra earlier in the season, you have the components for the perfect storm of a fist beating.

Let’s hope the punters are spot on.

MugaB

Coach
Burton didn’t come on until after the second try and the third try wasn’t his fault at all. After the second try Burton came on for Luai I’m 100 percent on that. It was Crichton who got torn apart and Luai was on for the two running tries, the third try that Burton was on for was off a kick that Aekins should have made a better play at despite a bad bounce.

The narrative around Burtons defence is becoming a joke if he is getting blamed for tries he was sitting on the bench for.
I wasn't blaming burton, just having 2 rookies right next to each other, probably not a good idea

Kilkenny

Coach
$1-28 on Sportsbet, similar elsewhere. Eels $3-75 pretty good odds I think they will firm considerably from that price as the game draws closer.

GongPanther

Referee
If we win tonight Ivan Cleary takes over as our coach with the most wins 71. Currently sitting equal with Royce.
If we do win, Royce will be anxiously waiting at the bar, hurriedly tapping on the drip tray waiting for Ivan to buy him a few.

Whino

Bench
If we win tonight Ivan Cleary takes over as our coach with the most wins 71. Currently sitting equal with Royce.

Wikipedia and Rugby League project have Royce on 77 wins.

Edit: They have included the 6 wins from the 1997 World Club Challenge on Royce's win total.
That tournament was a farce.

Last edited:

Latest posts