What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dean Young

Inisai Toga

Juniors
nrl_nines_day2_150220_295.jpg

DRAGONS

Players urge Young to stay and work under Griffin
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Tue 8 Sep 2020, 06:22 PM
walterbrad-head.png

St George Illawarra players have urged Dean Young to serve as an assistant coach next season as the 36-year-old gave a strong endorsement for incoming mentor Anthony Griffin.

Young, who will give NRL Nines sensation Cody Ramsey his debut against Canberra this weekend, missed out on the job after the Dragons board agreed on Monday to appoint Griffin for two years.

On Tuesday, Dragons players said he had taken the decision well and had spoken highly of Griffin.

Griffin and Young worked together with the Tonga team that beat Australia and Great Britain at the end of last season and have maintained a close relationship since.

It is understood that Griffin wants Young to remain on as an assistant and St George Illawarra players expect him to do so.

"In terms of his staying, of course, I would love him to stay," Dragons captain Cameron McInnes said.

"He is a great coach and a great person. I think one day he will be a head coach so I would love to have him stay but it's up to him."

Prop Blake Lawrie was also keen for Young to remain with the club and expects the interim coach to revert to the role he held before Paul McGregor's departure four weeks ago.

"Dean loves the club, he will do anything for this club and I think he is still going to be an assistant coach next year," Lawrie said.

"He is still on contract if he wants to so he is going to be around the club."

Winger Jordan Pereira credited Young for helping him to make it into the NRL after only taking up league in Perth at 20 years-of-age.

"When I came here I definitely wasn't up to standard and he has been a big part of getting me to where I am at," he said.

"Hopefully I can continue to grow under him in some way."

The players learned the news of Griffin’s appointment late on Monday from football manager Ben Haran and Young addressed them before training on Tuesday.

"He said he spent some time with him [Griffin] during the Tonga camp, and he said that we are in really good hands," Pereira said.

Ben Hunt and Corey Norman played under Griffin at Brisbane, while Trent Merrin and Kade Ellis, who has been named to start in place in the front row in place of Lawrie on Saturday against the Raiders, were with him at Penrith.

Lawrie said they had also spoken positively about Griffin’s appointment.

"Everyone I have spoken to seemed to get along with him really well," Lawrie said. "He tells it how it is which is what you really want."

McInnes said the board's belief that an outside voice was needed as the next Dragons coach would make little difference if the players didn't accept greater responsibility for results.

"This squad needs to take on more accountability for our performance. Whether we need a new voice or whatever, nothing will change until we do that," he said.

"If you don't win someone gets tapped on the shoulder but what's disappointing to me is that as players we made exactly the same mistakes week in and week out. Coaches are the ones who pay for it sometimes."

With the team's finals hopes ending with last Sunday night's golden point loss in North Queensland, Young has decided to give Ramsey some NRL experience.

The 20-year-old was the top try scorer at February's NRL Nines in Perth before undergoing shoulder surgery and he re-joined the Dragons squad in July.

Ramsey will replace Fijian winger Mikaele Ravalawa and play outside Zac Lomax on the right edge in St George Illawarra’s last home match of the season at WIN Stadium against Canberra on Saturday.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/09/08/players-urge-young-to-stay-and-work-under-griffin/
It will be a good indication of a culture change when we DON’T hear from the players on whether they like the coach or not. Who cares? These players are hardly season veterans and some haven’t even cemented a place in the side. Not the least bit interested whether they like, love or whatever.... just get the job done and let others relay the narrative of the coach.
Shouldn’t be commenting on Young or Griffin in my opinion and they should know their boundaries or have alternate responses to dumb media questions.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
Far too many people use the terminology "he bleeds red & white" when talking about Dean Young.

Sure he was tough, competed, played busted and all of that stuff but the honest truth is he was a bit better than an average footballer who managed to emulate his fathers feat of winning premiership in our club colours.

Truth be known Dean Young was actually lucky that he filled a few spots in our roster so he managed to stay in the team.

IMO one more good forward in that premiership squad and DY might not have got a gig.

We need to stop the heroic build up and put it all into proper perspective and that is he played, he got paid, he won a premiership but he has no entitlement or call over the club to hold down his position.

Go elsewhere learn your craft, build up your credentials and prove you are worth every penny we have to pay to get you to coach.

If you can't do that then the fact that you played at our club is a good memory for you and the fans and nothing more.

TruSaint

Referee
It will be a good indication of a culture change when we DON’T hear from the players on whether they like the coach or not. Who cares? These players are hardly season veterans and some haven’t even cemented a place in the side. Not the least bit interested whether they like, love or whatever.... just get the job done and let others relay the narrative of the coach.
Shouldn’t be commenting on Young or Griffin in my opinion and they should know their boundaries or have alternated responds to dumb media questions.

giphy.gif

BBTB

Juniors
Far too many people use the terminology "he bleeds red & white" when talking about Dean Young.

Sure he was tough, competed, played busted and all of that stuff but the honest truth is he was a bit better than an average footballer who managed to emulate his fathers feat of winning premiership in our club colours.

Truth be known Dean Young was actually lucky that he filled a few spots in our roster so he managed to stay in the team.

IMO one more good forward in that premiership squad and DY might not have got a gig.

We need to stop the heroic build up and put it all into proper perspective and that is he played, he got paid, he won a premiership but he has no entitlement or call over the club to hold down his position.

Go elsewhere learn your craft, build up your credentials and prove you are worth every penny we have to pay to get you to coach.

If you can't do that then the fact that you played at our club is a good memory for you and the fans and nothing more.
Agree, goodbye Dean
Young.....

BLM01

First Grade
Dragons' Young weighs up coaching future
  • r0_0_800_600_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Dean Young (r) is weighing up his coaching options after losing out on the Dragons job.
    Disappointed at being overlooked as head coach next year, Dean Young is yet to decide if he will stay at St George Illawarra as an assistant to Anthony Griffin.

The Dragons interim coach is weighing up his career options after missing out on the top job despite feeling as though he interviewed strongly.

He and Griffin have a previous working relationship from their time as Tongan assistants, and the incoming coach has already indicated he wants Young to stick around.

The day the decision was made Griffin called Young, not to gloat but offer him a role at the club next year.

But after six years in the Dragons job, Young is open to the option that his future could lie at another NRL club.

"I'm in the coaching game for the long haul, I'm only 36 and I've been an assistant coach for six years so I've still got a lot to learn, just like head coaches who are 50 years of age," he said on Friday.

"I view myself as a coach and where my journey goes, I'm not too sure.

"We'll work that out in the future."

Leaving the Dragons would be a huge call for Young who played more than 200 games for the club and transitioned into a coaching role after retirement.

Young was coy about whether he has been approached by other NRL clubs for next season, as well as what factors could influence his decision to stay or leave.

"I'm not going to go into too many details about that," he said.

"I've got a job to do for the remainder of the year, I'm fully committed to this playing group and I'm fully committed to this club to give my best to this group."

Although Young has been impressive in his short time as interim coach since Paul McGregor's departure, the board ultimately opted for experience to lead the club into the future.

It's an outcome he understands and respects.

"I think (Griffin is) going to do a great job, he's a great person and he's got a lot of experience and I think his time out of the game will probably make him a better coach," Young said.

"He would have reviewed what he did at Penrith and what he did at the Broncos and as a coach you learn every day and every year.

"I'm sure he's ready for the opportunity to turn this club around and turn it into a force again and I really hope he does."

Australian Associated Press

https://www.camdencourier.com.au/story/6921147/dragons-young-weighs-up-coaching-future/?cs=10513
Cant understand why he was disappointed he did not get the gig.
He is not ready and should not of been in media discussions.
No one up Nth Qld way or down here was pushing for Josh Hannay.to take over from Green..or funnily enough are chasing him!
he bled grey, white and yellow!..whatever colours the cowboys are

Mjab

Juniors

Spot on

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member

What the?

The guy is a premiership winner who represented his state & his country.

He’s held his spot in teams with some absolute gun players around him.

He’s picked up an absolute shit sandwich as an interim coach & hasn’t complained or passed the buck.

The guy has achieved much more than many others who has played the game & etched his own place in club history.

But yes, you shit on him..

Old Timer

Coach
What the?

The guy is a premiership winner who represented his state & his country.

He’s held his spot in teams with some absolute gun players around him.

He’s picked up an absolute shit sandwich as an interim coach & hasn’t complained or passed the buck.

The guy has achieved much more than many others who has played the game & etched his own place in club history.

But yes, you shit on him..
I called him just above average so that is shitting on him is it?

I simply call it as I see it.

I never considered him anything special and stand by my post which others seem to concur with.

Maybe you should send them all a post as well.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I called him just above average so that is shitting on him is it?

I simply call it as I see it.

I never considered him anything special and stand by my post which others seem to concur with.

Maybe you should send them all a post as well.
Why do you support this team?

You don’t like it when we win, you don’t seem to like any of the players, even the premiership winners..

Dragons 09

Juniors
He shouldn't have to decide whether he stays or goes, the decision should be made for him if we are serious about real change. I can't see anything positive coming from him working under the guy who knocked him out of the race for the top job.
Young has worked under the biggest whiteanter and delusional clown we have seen in a long time and if just a smidgen of that has rubbed off on him, Griffin could be on a hiding to nothing before he even gets his feet under the desk......particularly if junior tag teams with daddy in order to orchestrate the family dream.
We've had enough of this sort of shit, we just don't need any more, cut the apron strings now and send him on his way and lets get f**king serious about fixing 10 years of absolute puss.

I'm Hornby

Juniors
We need to read between the lines here fellas.

The fact it has been reported that Hook has asked Young to stay on and yet Young is weighing up his options, apparently being courted by other clubs and is making comments to the media saying he ia disappointed he didn't get the head coaching gig, shows us Hook is playing the game extremely well here.

If Dean chooses to leave it won't cause a stir up from Craig and other board members as Hook has saved face and asked him to stay on.

Seems to me Hook is smarter than he looks!

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Read the post you blew up about properly and you might then understand what is being discussed.
Oh, so you’re whining about coaching again.

I’m not talking about his coaching. I’m talking about how you believe a premiership winning Australian & NSW rep is “just above average” and could have been easily replaced.

There are plenty of players who achieve none of those three achievements.

But to achieve all of them makes you a good player.

And to achieve all of them whilst being a one club player with the RedV makes you pretty damn special.

But hey, don’t let that get in the way of another whinge.

Warabrook saint

Juniors
He shouldn't have to decide whether he stays or goes, the decision should be made for him if we are serious about real change. I can't see anything positive coming from him working under the guy who knocked him out of the race for the top job.
Young has worked under the biggest whiteanter and delusional clown we have seen in a long time and if just a smidgen of that has rubbed off on him, Griffin could be on a hiding to nothing before he even gets his feet under the desk......particularly if junior tag teams with daddy in order to orchestrate the family dream.
We've had enough of this sort of shit, we just don't need any more, cut the apron strings now and send him on his way and lets get f**king serious about fixing 10 years of absolute puss.
Anyone who names and shames our players ala the shameless one is divisive, and not wanted. I still remember the dirty look on Frizzells face when the last clown had him and Duffty in the presser pointing out their mistakes, yet deflecting his own multitude of shortcomings. No wonder Frizzell left, and no wonder the clown got the ar&e.

boardlumps62

Juniors
Ok lets get over it we have a new Coach.
It's like fresh undies on a Monday morning after free balling all weekend.
Any chance Matty Head and Willie Talau survive the axe as I thought they actually get the juniors firing.
I think I better get back in my hole see you 2021.

Old Timer

Coach
Oh, so you’re whining about coaching again.

I’m not talking about his coaching. I’m talking about how you believe a premiership winning Australian & NSW rep is “just above average” and could have been easily replaced.

There are plenty of players who achieve none of those three achievements.

But to achieve all of them makes you a good player.

And to achieve all of them whilst being a one club player with the RedV makes you pretty damn special.

But hey, don’t let that get in the way of another whinge.