What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

possm

Coach
I wonder then if they give Garrick a go there initially
I think it’s too much to put a kid like Cody there initially
It's probably the way Griffin will go but that's ok with me. I'll be glad to see him come home and put on the big red V again.

possm

Coach
Whilst I don’t watch all Manly games when I saw him fill in he did ok. I would treat him like Nightingale, not his right position but can fill in if required.
We have two young fullbacks that are waiting for their chance to shine in first grade. Ramsey will be first cab of the rank and hopefully he will be selected on the wing for the next two games.

Young Schiller is unable to join the squad because he is playing in the Illawarra competition which is outside the bubble. However, next season he will be trainng with the first grade squad and most probably spending a few weeks in resrve grade before getting his chance.

I suggest Dufty should be tested in reserve grade as a five-eighth as he has fallen back into his old habits of missing tackles, constantly being found out of position and showing nerves taking the high kicks/returning the ball.

Old Timer

Coach
I have been thinking about this question of recruitment for a few weeks now and cannot overstate the importance of getting this correct for the next 3 years.

The lack of success of our high profile signings plus the never ending supply of journeymen that are just abysmal must be sole destroying for some of the good club players we have had.

For instance Frizzell and Widdop before him have had to endure Norman & Hunt being paid huge $$$$ for little to no gain on the paddock.

Couple that with the huge fanfare around Tariq and subsequently Korbin Sims signings which if properly evaluated went from a huge fanfare to New Year's Eve whoopee whistle's pretty quickly.

The signing and subsequent constant selection of Lafai and non improvement of Aitken and all the while the lack of proper investment in Mann and refusal of youth such as Lomax.

Then the re-emergence of Latimore & Merrin into our roster and supplemented by signings of James Graham (who was a only a shadow of the former great player) Luke, Kafusi, Fuimaono, Williame and let's not forget Moranta.

Whilst not present for all of it the poisoned chalice has somewhat been handed over to Mc Inness to suffer the indignity of being a leader and high profile player of a club that has placed little to no importance on signing and developing better than average players.

Our bargain basement and overpaid investments have proven to be extremely poor and I hope that is no longer the way forward for our club.

Rebuild the foundations with competent juniors with a proper development programme and only purchase players that are proven to be successful on a continuing basis is the only way for us to get out of the doldrums we have been subjected to for so long.

Whilst people are giving it to Frizz at this point in time (unfairly so IMO) I think the club should hang its head in shame at what we allowed to happen around a bloke that has given his all 100% of the time.

History is repeating itself again for Cam Mc Inness and it is a damning indictment of DY & Flanno that they didn't see fit to change it and I just hope that DY is on his bike as well.

I will be very interested to see what the recruitment will be like with Hook at the helm.

SAP58

Juniors
I have been thinking about this question of recruitment for a few weeks now and cannot overstate the importance of getting this correct for the next 3 years.

The lack of success of our high profile signings plus the never ending supply of journeymen that are just abysmal must be sole destroying for some of the good club players we have had.

For instance Frizzell and Widdop before him have had to endure Norman & Hunt being paid huge $$$$ for little to no gain on the paddock.

Couple that with the huge fanfare around Tariq and subsequently Korbin Sims signings which if properly evaluated went from a huge fanfare to New Year's Eve whoopee whistle's pretty quickly.

The signing and subsequent constant selection of Lafai and non improvement of Aitken and all the while the lack of proper investment in Mann and refusal of youth such as Lomax.

Then the re-emergence of Latimore & Merrin into our roster and supplemented by signings of James Graham (who was a only a shadow of the former great player) Luke, Kafusi, Fuimaono, Williame and let's not forget Moranta.

Whilst not present for all of it the poisoned chalice has somewhat been handed over to Mc Inness to suffer the indignity of being a leader and high profile player of a club that has placed little to no importance on signing and developing better than average players.

Our bargain basement and overpaid investments have proven to be extremely poor and I hope that is no longer the way forward for our club.

Rebuild the foundations with competent juniors with a proper development programme and only purchase players that are proven to be successful on a continuing basis is the only way for us to get out of the doldrums we have been subjected to for so long.

Whilst people are giving it to Frizz at this point in time (unfairly so IMO) I think the club should hang its head in shame at what we allowed to happen around a bloke that has given his all 100% of the time.

History is repeating itself again for Cam Mc Inness and it is a damning indictment of DY & Flanno that they didn't see fit to change it and I just hope that DY is on his bike as well.

I will be very interested to see what the recruitment will be like with Hook at the helm.
Good post, the pleasing thing is in the couple of interviews I have seen with Hook he has stated clubs must develop from within & then supplement good junior development with strategic acquisition. In other words agreeing with your thoughts. I too look forward to a different approach in the future because what has been done in the past certainly hasn’t worked.

Banjo2014

Juniors

Look out Old Timer
Muzby is around the corner to put a dampener on your post
Banjo totally agrees with you - our recruitment under Hook very important as Pathways should be as well

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Losing Friz is not recruitment's fault. If the player has no faith in the coach and wants to win a comp, then there is nothing recruitment can do. Fwiz stated that and Saints should have seen that as a huge red flag. I am sure he would have mentioned it in his negotiations and the board chose to ignore and act later when it was too late. If Friz had some indication that Mary would be gone, I am sure he would have stayed but he kept delaying as much as he could until he realised nothing was going to change and he would waste he final years with no finals footy.

They say Mary had no say in recruitment, well he has the biggest say. If players see him not fit to be a coach and he ignores youth in favour of older overrated players then, all they can do is bring more in to suit him and try hard to convince a young player to stay knowing that they have a terrible coach with no vision and no faith in juniors. Tough sell.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Losing Friz is not recruitment's fault. If the player has no faith in the coach and wants to win a comp, then there is nothing recruitment can do. Fwiz stated that and Saints should have seen that as a huge red flag. I am sure he would have mentioned it in his negotiations and the board chose to ignore and act later when it was too late. If Friz had some indication that Mary would be gone, I am sure he would have stayed but he kept delaying as much as he could until he realised nothing was going to change and he would waste he final years with no finals footy.

They say Mary had no say in recruitment, well he has the biggest say. If players see him not fit to be a coach and he ignores youth in favour of older overrated players then, all they can do is bring more in to suit him and try hard to convince a young player to stay knowing that they have a terrible coach with no vision and no faith in juniors. Tough sell.
Couldn’t agree more. Also better game plans and bench rotation could well have seen some of those recruits not burnt out as they are.

Maddragon99

Juniors
John Asiata from cowboys in previous life was a 5/8th so I heard. Are we chasing him.

he’s been mentioned in dispatch’s but I don’t think anyone knows what our recruitment strategy is right now.

I’d assume Hook is developing a hit list & Millward would be working on it. But given that Hook was only appointed a week ago I’d say it’s all still a work in progress.

possm

Coach
The club does not seem to be in a hurry. Maybe they are waiting on the De Belin outcome. The trouble is, most good players up for grabs will be signed by other clubs and we will be left with the dead wood again.

Maddragon99

Juniors
The club does not seem to be in a hurry. Maybe they are waiting on the De Belin outcome. The trouble is, most good players up for grabs will be signed by other clubs and we will be left with the dead wood again.

it’s possible we might not be that active in the player market this year. Hook doesn’t officially start until November. We might roll into 2021 with plenty of room in the cap. Hook will have to get more out the players we already. I’d rather we wait than pay overs for more deadwood.

SAP58

Juniors
it’s possible we might not be that active in the player market this year. Hook doesn’t officially start until November. We might roll into 2021 with plenty of room in the cap. Hook will have to get more out the players we already. I’d rather we wait than pay overs for more deadwood.
He made an interesting comment on NRL360, he said you dont necessarily look at the list of players who’s contracts are up. Deals can be done irrespective, I suppose look at the Saab situation. These days contracts mean nothing which is sad when you consider not that long ago it was not uncommon for agreements to be done on a handshake and there was never any thought of breaking that agreement.

Maddragon99

Juniors
He made an interesting comment on NRL360, he said you dont necessarily look at the list of players who’s contracts are up. Deals can be done irrespective, I suppose look at the Saab situation. These days contracts mean nothing which is sad when you consider not that long ago it was not uncommon for agreements to be done on a handshake and there was never any thought of breaking that agreement.

Yes I picked up that comment as well, if Jack de Belin is able to return & the Sims brothers are 100% fit next year that might be enough to improve. Our piss poor middle defence is completely attitude basest which Hook can fix up.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Yes it is sad, agree SAP 58 pre player managers days, how good was that!

I also noticed the language Griffin used when responding to the recruitment question. I have a feeling that with factors such as: reduce salary cap, many clubs swapping coaches and finalising player lists as well as no CC and possible player restlessness, that they may feel there could be a fair bit of player movement post 2020 season.

The other factor is that there really aren't that many great opportunities currently on the market, and they might feel that once the dust settles on this season, things could heat up and opportunities then present themselves. They'd also know the De Belin situation by then which would impact decision making. I'm pretty sure they'd know what they need and you certainly don't have to be a Rhodes scholar to work out Saints are light up front and lack some quality forwards. Wouldn't be surprised if he (Griffith) didn't know of a couple of players that he could bring over prior to accepting the role, but maybe the timings not right. Could be wrong....

Last edited:

Latest posts