What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

I get that this thread was initially put on as a joke so LOL!

I am therefore happy to ride this out.

Sorry for any inconvenience guys and Willow has explained matters which I am now fully aware of and accept.

Can I say though, I really hope that we do not have to sack Griffen.

Come and join us on the game day forums and have some fun. The game spoiler ones. Everyone is taking the piss out of everything.

As for sgi, the old firm of Norman, Hunt with Hook is going to be really exciting.

The ever changing, manic Mary psycho-corporate babble nobody can understand or relate to is over!

We should be giving Hook an official LU jersey for getting the gig, no matter what happens.

Mjab

Juniors
Another beautiful piece in SMH today by our esteemed friend Mr Webster

about how good panthers are and who is responsible for this and while some points are relevant interesting to see no mention at all of Hook. So clearly a very balanced and unbiased article :)

I actually didnt mind him in the past but since he tried these axe jobs I can see how absolutely biased he is and never actually telling the full story

At least it wasnt an axe piece again on Griffin I guess, but he did at least help bring a few of there current stars thru into first grade but no mention of this and hope he will do the same for us here

waiting for his next piece on What a great coach Mary was

Willow

Assistant Moderator
It's good to see Saints doing this. And it does seem the job requires staff to be part of the 21st century.

League legend Steve Renouf hopes Anthony Griffin gets a greater understanding of Indigenous issues after he undertakes a cultural awareness program when he takes charge of the Dragons.

The cultural awareness program is undertaken by all staff at the Dragons as part of their commitment to their Reconciliation Action Plan.

2020-dragons-reconciliation-week-school-activity.jpg

ALSGI

Bench
Another beautiful piece in SMH today by our esteemed friend Mr Webster

about how good panthers are and who is responsible for this and while some points are relevant interesting to see no mention at all of Hook. So clearly a very balanced and unbiased article :)

I actually didnt mind him in the past but since he tried these axe jobs I can see how absolutely biased he is and never actually telling the full story

At least it wasnt an axe piece again on Griffin I guess, but he did at least help bring a few of there current stars thru into first grade but no mention of this and hope he will do the same for us here

waiting for his next piece on What a great coach Mary was

Yes, I’ve always read footy media like I read used car ads, real estate ads or the No Win No Fee ads by lawyers.

Some of the worst footy media comes from players and officials - often so far from the truth it should be on fiction pages.

I remember skipping through an article about the ‘Dragons Playmaker’ - Josh McCrone ..... quoting Mary’s praise throughout.

Just waiting for - The man the fans fondly called Mary McGregor, the Dragons longest serving head coach, Mentor and club legend...... blah blah blah .... without any mention of his appalling record or the BOD incompetence.

Yes, I’ve always read footy media like I read used car ads, real estate ads or the No Win No Fee ads by lawyers.

Some of the worst footy media comes from players and officials - often so far from the truth it should be on fiction pages.

I remember skipping through an article about the ‘Dragons Playmaker’ - Josh McCrone ..... quoting Mary’s praise throughout.

Just waiting for - The man the fans fondly called Mary McGregor, the Dragons longest serving head coach, Mentor and club legend...... blah blah blah .... without any mention of his appalling record or the BOD incompetence.

I call it “ sitcom journalism” but without the laughs I guess.

Roy Masters in full flight can hold a yarn.

brooks is a dirty player, punching rabbitohz players
banned for a game
;)

Woeful phantom click bait lol.

We all know gags is a big pussy when it comes to players his own size or larger. The Nathan Brown of the backline but the first to slither away and take cowardly flight from any real danger.

Brooksy should have snotted him good and proper. A busted nose seemed appropriate.

But It should have been left on the field. None of the players saw nothing.

Some people here think Dylan Edwards is a smug punk. But he refused to give evidence against bj who tried to take his head off. Thus he’s only smug.

Everyone hates a snitch.

Last edited:

blue bags

First Grade
Cultural training will give Griffin greater understanding: Renouf
Author
Joel GouldNRL.com reporter
Timestamp
Fri 11 Sep 2020, 10:58 AM
gouldjoe-head.png

Share on social media
League legend Steve Renouf hopes Anthony Griffin gets a greater understanding of Indigenous issues after he undertakes a cultural awareness program when he takes charge of the Dragons.

The cultural awareness program is undertaken by all staff at the Dragons as part of their commitment to their Reconciliation Action Plan.

Renouf, an Indigenous rugby league icon, said it was an important course for Griffin, who was recently appointed as the Dragons coach for the next two seasons, after he told Nine Newspapers that there was no racism in rugby league and that in his decades-long involvement in the game had not come across it.

The Dragons are set to familiarise Griffin with the work the club does in the Indigenous area and the new coach will be given cultural awareness training when the club soon ratifies its second Reconciliation Action Plan.

remote.axd

Laid bare: Renouf, racism and rugby league

Former Dragons star Nathan Blacklock spoke on NITV's Over the Black Dot on Tuesday night about how he had turned his back on a three-year extension at the club because of racial slurs in video sessions from within the team environment directed at his cousin Preston Campbell.

Blacklock said telling his story earlier to Nine Newspapers had been "a weight lifted off my chest".

The Dragons issued an apology to Blacklock and CEO Ryan Webb commended him for his bravery.

Renouf, who spoke about his own experiences of racism at the Broncos in a moving video recently for NRL.com, believes Griffin should also reach out to Indigenous and Torres Strait Islander players.

A part of the Dragons' Indigenous work in schools.
"He should also take some time to talk to some former Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander players about their own experiences with racism," Renouf said.

St George Illawarra have five players who identify as Indigenous: Tristan Sailor, Josh Kerr, Jason Saab, Jayden Sullivan and Tyrell Fuimaono.

"While Anthony hasn’t yet commenced his role at the Dragons, part of his introduction to the club will be to familiarise himself with all aspects of the business including all the brilliant work Dragons Community undertake," a Dragons spokesman said.

"We will soon be ratifying our second Reconciliation Action Plan which involves annual cultural awareness training that remains compulsory for all players and employees - a process that commenced in 2018.

"The Dragons are also great advocates for Indigenous advancement programs such as the NRL's School to Work and recognise reconciliation within a number of our other programs such as our Best You Can Be school planner, which currently reaches 7300 students around NSW."

Dean Widders and Timana Tahu, who are regular panelists on Over the Black Dot, each called out racism in their careers.

Widders called out a racist taunt he received during his time playing for the Eels in 2005 while Tahu walked out of the NSW team in 2010 due to racist comments in the team camp about Queensland’s Greg Inglis.

Tahu spoke on the show of his admiration for Renouf speaking up, and the four-time Broncos premiership winner said he would continue to do so.

"Timana and Dean went through it and they stood up against it and are calling it out again, and good on them for that," Renouf said.

"The non-Indigenous fellas seem to think it is OK to talk like that, but it isn’t. It is offensive.

"There are a lot of Indigenous blokes in rugby league who have left their careers behind early because of it, and didn’t even start their careers, and I know some of them."

Renouf, who penned a column for NRL.com during Indigenous Round this year on why understanding Australian history was vital in the fight against racism, also took umbrage with comments about the All Stars match being too political.

"If anyone has made it political, it is not the team or the Indigenous side of it," he said.

"It is done for a reason around Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture. It is not just for the boys to learn, it is for the team that they play against.

"It is all about coming together."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/09/11...ll-give-griffin-greater-understanding-renouf/

Cultural training will give Griffin greater understanding: Renouf
Author
Joel GouldNRL.com reporter
Timestamp
Fri 11 Sep 2020, 10:58 AM
gouldjoe-head.png

Share on social media

Renouf, an Indigenous rugby league icon, said it was an important course for Griffin, who was recently appointed as the Dragons coach for the next two seasons, after he told Nine Newspapers that there was no racism in rugby league and that in his decades-long involvement in the game had not come across it.

The Dragons are set to familiarise Griffin with the work the club does in the Indigenous area and the new coach will be given cultural awareness training when the club soon ratifies its second Reconciliation Action Plan.

remote.axd

Former Dragons star Nathan Blacklock spoke on NITV's Over the Black Dot on Tuesday night about how he had turned his back on a three-year extension at the club because of racial slurs in video sessions from within the team environment directed at his cousin Preston Campbell.

Blacklock said telling his story earlier to Nine Newspapers had been "a weight lifted off my chest".

The Dragons issued an apology to Blacklock and CEO Ryan Webb commended him for his bravery.

Renouf, who spoke about his own experiences of racism at the Broncos in a moving video recently for NRL.com, believes Griffin should also reach out to Indigenous and Torres Strait Islander players.

A part of the Dragons' Indigenous work in schools.
"He should also take some time to talk to some former Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander players about their own experiences with racism," Renouf said.

St George Illawarra have five players who identify as Indigenous: Tristan Sailor, Josh Kerr, Jason Saab, Jayden Sullivan and Tyrell Fuimaono.

"While Anthony hasn’t yet commenced his role at the Dragons, part of his introduction to the club will be to familiarise himself with all aspects of the business including all the brilliant work Dragons Community undertake," a Dragons spokesman said.

"We will soon be ratifying our second Reconciliation Action Plan which involves annual cultural awareness training that remains compulsory for all players and employees - a process that commenced in 2018.

"The Dragons are also great advocates for Indigenous advancement programs such as the NRL's School to Work and recognise reconciliation within a number of our other programs such as our Best You Can Be school planner, which currently reaches 7300 students around NSW."

Dean Widders and Timana Tahu, who are regular panelists on Over the Black Dot, each called out racism in their careers.

Widders called out a racist taunt he received during his time playing for the Eels in 2005 while Tahu walked out of the NSW team in 2010 due to racist comments in the team camp about Queensland’s Greg Inglis.

Tahu spoke on the show of his admiration for Renouf speaking up, and the four-time Broncos premiership winner said he would continue to do so.

"Timana and Dean went through it and they stood up against it and are calling it out again, and good on them for that," Renouf said.

"The non-Indigenous fellas seem to think it is OK to talk like that, but it isn’t. It is offensive.

"There are a lot of Indigenous blokes in rugby league who have left their careers behind early because of it, and didn’t even start their careers, and I know some of them."

Renouf, who penned a column for NRL.com during Indigenous Round this year on why understanding Australian history was vital in the fight against racism, also took umbrage with comments about the All Stars match being too political.

"If anyone has made it political, it is not the team or the Indigenous side of it," he said.

"It is done for a reason around Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture. It is not just for the boys to learn, it is for the team that they play against.

"It is all about coming together."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/09/11...ll-give-griffin-greater-understanding-renouf/

I suppose the assumption is that Griffin needs educating and that may have come about by his support of extremist views which traditionally have been equated with racism.

At any rate, it’s not going to hurt him to get on board and learn a few things. It sounds like an interesting program.

Hard to believe anyone would call out Greg Inglis and Preston Campbell or any other indigenous player. Only a complete merkin would do that. Lucky I wasn’t there. Greg in particular, is a bloody hero to the whole game. He owes nothing to anyone.

Last edited:
I only know a tiny bit about aboriginal culture and it’s pretty interesting.

Some of the stories are classic.

I’ve heard an aboriginal story about elements of the bush coming alive. Trees and native animals in conversation talking. You can relate to it easily as we know the animals and plants.

Below is a friend of mine making clapping sticks for use in women’s dance ceremonies.

C6EB142A-DDE1-4885-A1ED-57B836CA0EA8.jpeg

They will get their decoration later and at some point, for these people, only certain folk will be able to use them.

I have no idea when our craftsman will be satisfied they are fit for purpose. If anyone knows, let me know!

very nice work , well done

:thumbsup:He’s pretty skilled.

Id say he’d be more than happy to spend time with Hook and tell him about it.

There’s a small pile of reject ones at the back of his garage. Clapping sticks ain’t clapping sticks apparently. They all looked pretty good to me and that’s kind of where one becomes aware of ones ignorance.

But it’s a good learn!

Mjab

Juniors
:thumbsup:He’s pretty skilled.

Id say he’d be more than happy to spend time with Hook and tell him about it.

There’s a small pile of reject ones at the back of his garage. Clapping sticks ain’t clapping sticks apparently. They all looked pretty good to me and that’s kind of where one becomes aware of ones ignorance.

But it’s a good learn!
Maybe hook needs a lend of one (the biggest) to take to Norman if he doesnt pull his socks up

The_Frog

First Grade
Employers can try to check out someone's social media but that doesn't give them grounds to discriminate.
Employers can check whatever is in the public domain and can place whatever weight on it they wish. There are specific grounds under which discrimination is unlawful and political leanings (real or presumed) are not among them.

Employers can check whatever is in the public domain and can place whatever weight on it they wish. There are specific grounds under which discrimination is unlawful and political leanings (real or presumed) are not among them.

I agree federally and in nsw, but I’m not sure about Queensland. I think there are protections there ( in theory at least). Any insights would be welcomed.

So section 20 of the Human Rights 2019 ( qld) provides for ( amongst other things) freedom of thought and section 21 purports to protect free expression.

Having said that, it is not “ open slather” and there are holes to drive through in what I think would be more extraordinary circumstances.

Also, I am not across or have read up on process of complaint and what’s involved.

23 basic human rights apparently in qld. That sounds impressive.

Hopefully they have some teeth.

Last edited:

I'm Hornby

Juniors

Bit of a moot point since Griffin got the job.