What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Art Of Class War - The Monthly Article

taipan

Referee

That's not all codes, for which I asked. Your words"no one in the last 20 years." Not mine.

Plus the other unknown is the make up of contras within Tv deals, which many times are not spelt out.We do know News via Foxtel had decent contra deals for the AFL.That was also spelt out in the Pay court case Optus v News Ltd.

Also show me when any sporting contracts were concluded in times similar to what the Tv stations are facing now.None it's never happened before.Your miles from reality.

The year of COVID/recession all TV stations are in deep financial poo. COVID according to you and I repeat, "similar to GFC".The latter one you still haven't admitted is utter bollocks. V’landys stated one more time for the bricks."Commercial confidence for non disclosure."
You think that's an issue LOL.The NRL who negotiated the deal have a better idea whether it's an issue or not.They know where the bulk of their broadcast revenue is from now til end 2027.They have the streaming option as an extra for FTA deal.

From the Age" 17th June 20 Foxtel in AFL rights standoff over "flip flop" clause.The AFL has refused to drop a long standing clause in its broadcast rights contract that allows certain matches outside Victoria to be shown on FTA TV ,prompting Foxtel to delay extending its deal with the league.
Industry sources said a clause known as "flip flop" ,which allows a FTA partner to broadcast local team matches in all states except Victoria ,reduced the value of rights for the operator and that the two companies could not agree to new terms."
So this prevents Fox from exclusivity on matches in popular cities ,such as Adelaide and Perth.

Good luck AFL, because TV stations are tightening belts big time, and the fumblers may well have to either take a nice hefty cut in price in a Foxtel extension if they want to continue as is ,or may have to take a lesser deal anyway if negotiations drag on too long.
The AFL won't like losing that extra FTA nudge to those cities.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I know what he said, my point is why has it never felt the need for this commercial confidence in any of the last tv deals? Why the secret squirrel now? What don’t they want us to know about? The truth is out there.......

do you ever post anything without it mostly being about the afl?

taipan

Referee
I know what he said, my point is why has it never felt the need for this commercial confidence in any of the last tv deals? Why the secret squirrel now? What don’t they want us to know about? The truth is out there.......

do you ever post anything without it mostly being about the afl?

"Why the secret now?" Why COVID and the recession now? Why TV companies on their financial a*ses now? Deals are made in confidence, even in the best of times.
End of year results should give a clue anyway.

Why doesn't the AFL provide full details of contras? Why doesn't the AFL give us the financials the Qld Govt is paying them for staging the G/F in Brisbane? Why did the AFL triple the number of people being paid by the AFL after Demetriou left.It went from over 100 plus to 300 plus.And they are embarrassed having to cut back big numbers now because of COVID?
Why did the AFL need to break in to their Loan money of $600m ,and the NRL with much less cash reserves not have to?

Yeah the truth is out there. Sometimes it comes out of their rear ends.

I post negatives about the AFL to you, because you spend so much time promoting them like a paid employee.It's called striking a balance.Funny I don't have issues with anyone else on this matter.You don't boot lick them,I don't mention them ,Simples.

Oh and the AFL happens to be rugby league's major competitor in this country, and you have no trouble citing their Tv deals, expansion, how they are God's gift to sport ,above criticism, etc etc.
Especially when you were butt hurt, when Vlad dared to verbally bash the AFL ,poor diddums. I mean they don't serve it up to the NRL when it suits.LOL.They are big and ugly enough to stand on their own two feet.

taipan

Referee
Oh look another post about afl lol

time will tell all.......

Yep and whilst you continue to suck up to them and get butt hurt when someone dare has a shot at them,
you will get the expected response.
Yet you have no such problem constantly bagging the NRL.
The ball is in your court or as the saying goes"you ring,I bring."

Perth Red

Post Whore
What did you think of the essay @Perth Red and or @LeagueXIII?
Which bit? It covers a lot!
Vlandys everyone knows my views on, history of the game is mostly accurate, public perception of RL as a working class game continues to be a straight jacket that stunts the games growth, TV fcked the game in 1995 and continues to dictate to the game and control decision making, we are falling further behind AFL every year in being the number one national footy code, we have great opportunities but lack the leadership to realise them, good well written synopsis of the history of the Australian game on the whole.

This is one of the key issues raised in the piece for the next two decades. Whilst AFL keeps us looking at our belly buttons in NSW and Qland it knows its got free reign to keep pushing its expansion strategy with no need to look behind at whats happening on its home front. In a siege there's only so long you can hold up in your castle until you starve to death! It sno surprise the only time we've had afl on the back foot was in the late 80's/early 90's when the game had a vision to be the national footy code of Australia and beyond.

"V’landys cultivates the image of a ruthless warmonger. Privately, officials witness a sensitive listener and shrewd peacekeeper who obsessively analyses fan feedback, and is far more worried about addressing internal flaws than code wars. V’landys seems to intuitively subscribe to a truism from Sun Tzu’s The Art of War: “The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.” He has no intention of launching expansion attacks on Perth and Adelaide, outside of possible one-off club and State of Origin matches played there. Instead, the NRL will shore up its fortresses in NSW and Queensland, including a possible 17th team, based in Brisbane."

Last edited:

Patorick

Staff member
Just the essay itself @Perth Red.

Struggling to think of a better essay about rugby league.

Gave me a lot to think about the class system and how it shapes Australian sport.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Good post! Would you mind expanding on this comment? What happened?

journo (cough cough) on NRL360 made an uncorroborated statement about AFL wanting to access NRL fan data, Vlad got his knickers in a twist and talked about vegetarians. AFL laughed at us.

Just about sums it up.

taipan

Referee
journo (cough cough) on NRL360 made an uncorroborated statement about AFL wanting to access NRL fan data, Vlad got his knickers in a twist and talked about vegetarians. AFL laughed at us.

Just about sums it up.

Another expected response, which sums up your regular contributions.All corroborated of course LOL.
Probably 90% of statements made by journos could be classified as uncorroborated.If you have any idea of what Sheedy used to stay in the early days of the Gnats,AFL would and do anything legal to push their agenda.

And getting address/details from data bases is a well known method.Retail does it ,so do charities.I know from first hand experience from both.
"Laughed at us," we've been laughing at the AFL (yep you mentioned it again, uncorroborated of course) this year.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Everyone does it so why the f**k would A) a journo even bother mentioning it B) Vlad come out like a churlish schoolboy talking about feeding meat to vegetarians. If NRL isnt trying to get AFL corporate sponsor contacts to sell boxes at SOO in Perth and Adelaide etc then they are doing a very poor job. But they will be because everyone does it lol. Difference isonly RL makes a drama out of it.

Dont you find it interesting that all the "AFL is looking to take over Queensland" stories came from RL journos? Drama queens the lot of them, why? because they know VLad will respond and create another click bait headline for them to fill their sht media with.

taipan

Referee
Good post! Would you mind expanding on this comment? What happened?

In addition to Peter Badel on NRL 360 1st September.

The Australian 2nd September 2020 in an Article by Travis Meyn stated"
The AFL's commercial team has discussed ways to obtain data bases of rugby league fans in Qld in a bid to make inroads into the NRL heartland in the Sunshine State.
A source close to negotiations said the AFL is keen to get their hands on the databases of rugby league fans, with the Broncos struggling they believe the timing is right to overtake the NRL in Qld."

Why should anyone be surprised ,charity organisations access data bases ,so they can chase up donations.I've been on the receiving end.I've had retail brochures sent to me ,by competing retailers for a product I purchased from another.
It's all legal,it depends on how effective an organisation can keep info private .One example could be someone buying NRL merchandise from a supplier, who also supplies to an AFL club.
It could be a kid who's picked up a Sherrin at school, and he and his parents are Bronco's supporters.There's another in.
And when your main competition( NRL's Qld teams) are struggling, you'll never get a better time, especially when you're staging a G/F at the Gabba.

Even the Offsiders ,with Kelly Underwood and the lisping journo Wilson from the Age, keep mentioning the free space in Brisbane with the Broncos down , it (AFL) must be making inroads up there.

I'll be the Storm would like to make further inroads in Melbourne,as it's not easy to do.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Another expected response, which sums up your regular contributions.All corroborated of course LOL.
Probably 90% of statements made by journos could be classified as uncorroborated.If you have any idea of what Sheedy used to stay in the early days of the Gnats,AFL would and do anything legal to push their agenda.

And getting address/details from data bases is a well known method.Retail does it ,so do charities.I know from first hand experience from both.
"Laughed at us," we've been laughing at the AFL (yep you mentioned it again, uncorroborated of course) this year.

Maybe the AFL can have it once News Ltd is finished with it.

taipan

Referee
Everyone does it so why the f**k would A) a journo even bother mentioning it B) Vlad come out like a churlish schoolboy talking about feeding meat to vegetarians. If NRL isnt trying to get AFL corporate sponsor contacts to sell boxes at SOO in Perth and Adelaide etc then they are doing a very poor job. But they will be because everyone does it lol. Difference isonly RL makes a drama out of it.

Dont you find it interesting that all the "AFL is looking to take over Queensland" stories came from RL journos? Drama queens the lot of them, why? because they know VLad will respond and create another click bait headline for them to fill their sht media with.

Look mate you're quite happy to cite sources including News and SMH, it can be argued they are uncorroborated as are your comments ,as are mine.
Any code worth its salt seeks to take advantage of a code, when teams are struggling,facing financiaily issues, having revolutions aka SL.Businees does it like Qantas v Virgin.

No I don't find it surprising. The aim of any code pushing into new territory is to tread warily, not get the majority offsides you are there to offer an alternative for people who like many codes, or for your small base of supporters.
Just like the Storm did and continues to do.The difference is their competitions teams are not all up to sh*t and the NRL is not playing a G/F in Melbourne with the Storm.
You need to have looked at the Offsider's on a regular basis ,where Underwood and Wilson have been pushing the free space with Qld Nrl clubs up sh*t street..
When the Swans first came to Sydney before you were here,they used the"we're not here to compete",just to offer AFL supporters a game, and a choice for others.
No one comes in openly and says 'we're f.....g taking over this here town.

LOL. You mob and their compliant media have had a free run, for decades ,no one has stood up to them and backed their own code firmly.

Have a chat with Tony Shepherd the GWS Chairman ,and get his opinion on Vlad.He'd have a far better view of the guy, then you ever would.
You're suffering Vlad derangement syndrome.He's different in his approach, some don't like it, but he doesn't pussyfoot.

taipan

Referee
Maybe the AFL can have it once News Ltd is finished with it.

PR would fully endorse that.
Conversely the NRL can have the AFL's, once News Ltd have finished with theirs.Come in ,handy for the Storm.As if.
I've finished with Foxtel and their data base.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Just the essay itself @Perth Red.

Struggling to think of a better essay about rugby league.

Gave me a lot to think about the class system and how it shapes Australian sport.
The RL Digest Podcast and Progressive RL Podcast interviewed the author if you want further insight.

The author is actually proving himself quite a decent investigative journalist, with a genuinely grounded philosophy.

If you google him there are stories about how when he was very young, he was involved in a car crash which saw death of other youngsters. He subsequently went into depression before writing extensively on the subject.

Also, he wrote possibly the best piece on the last federal election.

With a solid Rugby League background behind him, I will be interested in what he does next.

Wilson and Underwood are full of shit about fumbleball making inroads in Queensland just because the Donkeys are getting what they deserve. I wouldn’t have a clue where the Brissie Bears are on the AwFuL ladder as I don't give 2 shits about fumbleball. I doubt I am the only one who thinks like this. When the fumbleflag is played at the Gabba this year I will be doing what I do every year: not watching fumbleball and singing because the stupid game is coming to an end for another 6 months.

Latest posts