What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1995 expansion... now!

Which 4 Areas of growth should NRL expand to

• Auckland (Pacifika team)

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • New Zealand (Wellington)

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • New Zealand (South Island)

Votes: 12 46.2%
  • Morton bay (Dophins)

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Sunshine Coast

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Cairns

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brisbane West (ipswich)

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Brisbane (Suncorp rival)

Votes: 15 57.7%
  • Perth

Votes: 22 84.6%
  • Adelaide

Votes: 13 50.0%
  • Central Coast

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Melbourne (rival)

• Darwin

• Central Queenland

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • New South Wales Country

• Papua New Guinea

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Fiji

• Hobart

• Sydney no.9 (e.g norths or newtown)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

adamkungl

Immortal
SE-QLD
Perth
Adelaide
NZ-South

They are the only realistic options - and in Perth and Adelaide's cases, absolutely necessary.
There are different approaches that might work for QLD and NZ so I'll refrain from nominating a specific one.

MugaB

Coach
SE-QLD
Perth
Adelaide
NZ-South

They are the only realistic options - and in Perth and Adelaide's cases, absolutely necessary.
There are different approaches that might work for QLD and NZ so I'll refrain from nominating a specific one.
So are you saying a SE-QLD Club on the Sunshine coast or Morton Bay and a Wellington, New Zealand Club are also the better candidates than existing stadiums of Brisbane City and Auckland to share a team, not saying y ou have to pick one, but surely theres a preference on a suncorp rival club, or a more regional SEqld option etc

adamkungl

Immortal
So are you saying a SE-QLD Club on the Sunshine coast or Morton Bay and a Wellington, New Zealand Club are also the better candidates than existing stadiums of Brisbane City and Auckland to share a team, not saying y ou have to pick one, but surely theres a preference on a suncorp rival club, or a more regional SEqld option etc

SE Qld could be Sunshine Coast, Redcliffe, Ipswich, Easts, a combined QRL merger team, a standalone new club, etc.
My preferred option is a new club called South Queensland, perhaps with some QCup clubs holding a minority financial stake. Any club has to play the lions share of its games out of Lang Park. Forget about suburban stuff.

New Zealand, I could see either full time out of the new stadium in Christchurch (significantly larger population than Wellington) or some split with Wellington. Not interested in another Auckland (or Hamilton) idea.

MugaB

Coach
SE Qld could be Sunshine Coast, Redcliffe, Ipswich, Easts, a combined QRL merger team, a standalone new club, etc.
My preferred option is a new club called South Queensland, perhaps with some QCup clubs holding a minority financial stake. Any club has to play the lions share of its games out of Lang Park. Forget about suburban stuff.

New Zealand, I could see either full time out of the new stadium in Christchurch (significantly larger population than Wellington) or some split with Wellington. Not interested in another Auckland (or Hamilton) idea.
Reviving the SQ crushers idea, but basically the Suncorp rival, (brisbane rival) and a South Island Nz team based in Christchurch, i like the whole North Vs South island idea

Reviving the SQ crushers idea, but basically the Suncorp rival, (brisbane rival) and a South Island Nz team based in Christchurch, i like the whole North Vs South island idea
North Island Warriors and South Island Orcas/Cyclones could work.

If you were to add four at once then there's only 2 locations that will bring in the money needed to fund them.

17th Brisbane 2
18th NZ 2
19th Brisbane 3
20th NZ 3

Ch9 and Foxtel are not going to fork out $92 million to fund the salary cap and annual grant of four teams if two of them are based in Adelaide and Perth. The average rating for those two cities is 5k-12k, according to The_Wookie. He said Mel average 11k for all teams bar Storm and 17k for the Storm.

Having 3 teams in NZ would allow a Sunday arvo game from NZ each week from 2pm AEST. Foxtel then have 3 games on Saturday and 3 on Sunday. Ratings in NZ will increase. It also allows 12 games a year to be played in NZ at 6pm Friday night. The 3 clubs could have 4 games each at this time. That will be great for the Australian clubs as they won't have to play the game at this unfriendly slot, and in NZ it will be 8pm, so they should be able to draw a good crowd.

Monday night football could be brought back for the 10th game, and sold to the highest bidder. Ch10 or C7 might be interested at throwing a few million to have a Monday night game that's played in a time slot that's not used by any of the other sporting leagues.

flippikat

Bench

it's tricky comparing the population of Christchurch vs Wellington.

If you strictly count "Wellington City", then Christchurch comes out on top.. but if you add in the neighbouring cities of Porirua, (Lower) Hutt City and Upper Hutt City then Greater Wellington - the region - has more people... and all well within an hours drive or commuter train.

However, as much as it pains me to say this - Wellington pales compared to Christchurch when it comes to sporting prowess & sporting culture. We just don't produce great sporting dynasties, apart from the Wellington Saints basketball team. As a Wellington sports fan, you learn from a young age that success is fleeting. We're an art city more than a sport city.

Not so in Christchurch - especially under their provincial 'Canterbury' guise. They're formidable in pretty much anything, their fans expect their sides to dominate other teams, and they have a rivalry with Auckland that verges on Origin intensity. That, coupled with the far better stadium they have in the pipeline really puts them in pole position IMO.

adamkungl

Immortal

If you strictly count "Wellington City", then Christchurch comes out on top.. but if you add in the neighbouring cities of Porirua, (Lower) Hutt City and Upper Hutt City then Greater Wellington - the region - has more people... and all well within an hours drive or commuter train.

However, as much as it pains me to say this - Wellington pales compared to Christchurch when it comes to sporting prowess & sporting culture. We just don't produce great sporting dynasties, apart from the Wellington Saints basketball team. As a Wellington sports fan, you learn from a young age that success is fleeting. We're an art city more than a sport city.

Not so in Christchurch - especially under their provincial 'Canterbury' guise. They're formidable in pretty much anything, their fans expect their sides to dominate other teams, and they have a rivalry with Auckland that verges on Origin intensity. That, coupled with the far better stadium they have in the pipeline really puts them in pole position IMO.

That was roughly my understanding
For Wellington, a better fit might be the NZRL working with the 2 (we can dream) NZ teams to ensure that between them and test matches there are a handful of games each year in the capital.

mongoose

Coach

Wellington seems like a city run by Uni students... Really cool little city though, great food.

flippikat

Bench
Wellington seems like a city run by Uni students... Really cool little city though, great food.

Uni students, Government white-collar workers who used to be Uni students, and artists who dropped out of Uni. That's pretty much the central city. ;)

taipan

Referee
Thought Dunedin was the city run by uni students.
Think new Oz sides need preference over a 2nd NZ side.

Thought Dunedin was the city run by uni students.
Think new Oz sides need preference over a 2nd NZ side.
The 16 clubs will probably oppose any attempt to introduce a 17th and 18th team. Each new team is a competitor eating into the game's limited resources.

PVL is the only man capable of getting a new team into the NRL. He knows Brisbane is the only viable option. Broadcasters want a second Brisbane team. It's the only option that will add money to the game. NZ 2 has the potential to add money to the NZ broadcast rights.

T to the T

Juniors
Brisbane 2
Perth
NZ 2
Central Coast Bears

It's time to reclaim the North Shore. Any suggestions of binning off Manly too are ludicrous, hasn't anything been learnt about killing off/merging clubs over the past 25 years?

Brisbane 2
Perth
NZ 2
Central Coast Bears

It's time to reclaim the North Shore. Any suggestions of binning off Manly too are ludicrous, hasn't anything been learnt about killing off/merging clubs over the past 25 years?
What about shifting Manly to Gosford?

Brookvale Oval is a shithole and the Sea Eagles draw shit ratings on TV and mediocre crowds. They are easily the weakest club in Sydney.

If they relocate to Gosford they will still have the Sea Eagles brand and be within driving distance for their small fanbase. Branching out to Gosford will draw new fans to the club. Gosford is a quality stadium.

flippikat

Bench
What about shifting Manly to Gosford?

Brookvale Oval is a shithole and the Sea Eagles draw shit ratings on TV and mediocre crowds. They are easily the weakest club in Sydney.

If they relocate to Gosford they will still have the Sea Eagles brand and be within driving distance for their small fanbase. Branching out to Gosford will draw new fans to the club. Gosford is a quality stadium.

I think that makes a lot of sense.

If the Sea Eagles base their operations in Gosford with most home games there (maybe one home game at Brookvale) and the Roosters get on with strengthening their link with Norths, then we have a pretty good coverage of that region between the bridge & Newcastle.

Central Coast Sea-Eagles: Gosford for home games with 1 "Back to Brookvale" match per year.

East Coast Roosters ("Easts"): New SFS for home games & 1 or 2 "Return to the Oval" matches per year.. maybe 1 trial & 1 regular season game.. wearing heritage Norths jerseys?

Imagine a Roosters v Sea Eagles game at North Sydney Oval, with Roosters in heritage Norths gear, Sea Eagles in their heritage jerseys!

greenBV4

Bench
I think that makes a lot of sense.

If the Sea Eagles base their operations in Gosford with most home games there (maybe one home game at Brookvale) and the Roosters get on with strengthening their link with Norths, then we have a pretty good coverage of that region between the bridge & Newcastle.

Central Coast Sea-Eagles: Gosford for home games with 1 "Back to Brookvale" match per year.

East Coast Roosters ("Easts"): New SFS for home games & 1 or 2 "Return to the Oval" matches per year.. maybe 1 trial & 1 regular season game.. wearing heritage Norths jerseys?

Imagine a Roosters v Sea Eagles game at North Sydney Oval, with Roosters in heritage Norths gear, Sea Eagles in their heritage jerseys!
Perfect, although it wouldn't be "back to the oval" for Easts, I don't think they need to pander to norths and wear a norths jersey either, it's not the Roosters heritage.
Take over the area and make it their own, over time north sydney will become their own heritage by their own right - as the years since they were dropped continue to tick over "bears fans" become more and more irrelevent

flippikat

Bench
Perfect, although it wouldn't be "back to the oval" for Easts, I don't think they need to pander to norths and wear a norths jersey either, it's not the Roosters heritage.
Take over the area and make it their own, over time north sydney will become their own heritage by their own right - as the years since they were dropped continue to tick over "bears fans" become more and more irrelevent

Fair point, and to put it into perspective it's been over 20 years now since the Bears existed as a stand-alone NRL level club.

I don't seem to remember any big desire in the RL community to bring back the Newtown Jets around 2004 - which is roughly the same time since they were excluded from the top tier.. but there seems to be a difference with the Bears. From an outside perspective here in New Zealand, it's very tangible that the Sydney RL community feel that absence quite acutely. The idea I was thinking of is a permanent feeder arrangement - almost a joint venture, in a way - where the Roosters honor their foundation brother-club with annual Norths-themed games.

It might work.. for a start, there's not animosity between Norths & the Roosters like the feud that sunk the Northern Eagles. The demographics seem to fit too.

MugaB

Coach
Fair point, and to put it into perspective it's been over 20 years now since the Bears existed as a stand-alone NRL level club.

I don't seem to remember any big desire in the RL community to bring back the Newtown Jets around 2004 - which is roughly the same time since they were excluded from the top tier.. but there seems to be a difference with the Bears. From an outside perspective here in New Zealand, it's very tangible that the Sydney RL community feel that absence quite acutely. The idea I was thinking of is a permanent feeder arrangement - almost a joint venture, in a way - where the Roosters honor their foundation brother-club with annual Norths-themed games.

It might work.. for a start, there's not animosity between Norths & the Roosters like the feud that sunk the Northern Eagles. The demographics seem to fit too.
Newtown jets in 2004, where was the relevance there? 1983 was their last top tier appearance

flippikat

Bench
Newtown jets in 2004, where was the relevance there? 1983 was their last top tier appearance

The same amount of time passed between 1983 & 2004 that's passed between 1999 (Bears last NRL season) and now.. and the desire to bring back the Bears seems bigger than the Jets after the same absence - or less dimished, to put it another way.

They're both foundation clubs, and Newtown has had marginally more success on-field than Norths over the years (3 premierships instead of 2.. and some Grand Final losing appearances).. but the branding (distinctive red & black colours, the Bear logo), and the fact that - at least for a juniors/lower grade pathway - Norths represents a region of Sydney that's has no direct representation in the NRL probably counts there.

Latest posts